Booster Training question

kmgt

So, I get that we need to start out with short trips in Booster mode. How do you go about that with a 3 in 1. Don't you have to take the harness out to use the seatbelt? Is it easy to remove? Isn't that a pain in the butt each time you want to just do a short trip to train?

ADS

Mom2FiveGirls

Some of the 3 in 1's make lousy boosters. The seat belt is not positioned correctly and/or fit the child correctly.

Of course, there are some (I know the nautilus and frontier make a good booster for a lot of kids) that are fine.

Personally, I'd probably buy a dedicated booster (graco turbo booster, etc...I wouldn't spend a lot of money on it if it wasn't going to be a primary seat) rather than switch the harness in and out all the time. And you could always use the booster as a spare/back up or in another car the child rides in frequently once you switch the other seat to full time booster mode.

kmgt

He's in a Marathon right now but it's expiring soon and I'm planning on getting a Nautilus. He's a small 6yo with Down syndrome.

I have to buy 3 seats right now (a new infant seat for baby coming in July, a Nauti for DS, and a Nauti for DD (3.5 yo) whom I will keep harnessed) so I'd really rather not get yet ANOTHER seat just for practice.

Even if I did buy another, I don't know that I could just keep it in another spot in the van because I can't really climb in and out to the backseat that easily being this far pregnant.

Jennifer mom to my 7

Okay, so the 3 in 1 you are talking about is a nautilus. Good, as if he outgrows the harness, it "should" make a good booster. You "could" make the parental decision to NOT take the harness out while booster training...

But, if he is smaller, you might really want to think about, AFTER you have baby and you get used to the ebb and flow of another child, getting a turbo for him.

Your 3.5 year old, how big is that child? Maybe a different seat would work just as well, like a maestro? Also, when does the marathon expire? DUH! edit: just saw it is expiring... Are the 2 kids the same size?

kmgt

The kids are basically the same size.

DS is 6yo, 40lbs, and about 41inches.
DD is 3.5, about 37-38lbs, and about 39 inches.

My "goal" I guess you could say is to not have to buy the older two another seat, ever. Unless the Nauti's would happen to expire before they are the age/weight/height requirement to let the go without a seat.

The reason I'm pretty set on a Nauti for DS is because I had pretty much planned on keeping him harnessed until just a few weeks ago when I though 'well, he's 6, maybe it's time". But I have no idea whether he's going to be cognitively ready for the responsibility of a booster. If I have the Nauti, I can go booster, but if he doesn't "get it" after while, I can always go back to the harness mode.

I haven't really considered anything other than a Nauti or Frontier merely because they are the brands I'm familiar with and comfortable with.

Oh and DD is in a Boulevard that will go into DH's truck to replace the Roundabout that is expiring at about the same time as the Marathon (August). That's why both big kids need new seats.

Last edited:

Jennifer mom to my 7

Ahh, okay, I get that. What about 1 nautilus, 1 maestro, and then a turbo? Also, what about torso heights? Do they fit in seats the same, or does one have more harness room than the other?

The maestro should last just as long harnessed height wise as the nautilus, but the straps are a bit closer together.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC