Does age/size make a difference?

Mom2FiveGirls

We're going to the beach this weekend and one of the girls in a harnessed seat is going to have to be in a spot without a tether anchor... I know its not ideal. There are going to be 8 people in our vehicle (2000 Ford Excursion). DD#1 and DD#2 will both be in HB TBs. DD#3 and DD#4 will both be harnessed in GNs. DD#5 will be RFing in a MR. Here is my plan (unless someone has a better idea). DD#1 and DD#2 outboard in the third row. One GN in the center of the third row. The other GN in the center of the second row (tethered). The MR outboard on the driver side RFing. That leaves the seat behind the passenger seat open for the adult who sits there (either me or a friend of ours who is riding with us). There are no headrests in the third row so even if an adult could fit between the 2 TBs (which I'm assuming would be possible since the GN fits), there is no head rest... There is a head rest on the 2 outboard positions in the second row.

So my question is...if this is the best situation, which child goes in the untethered GN? Does age/size make a difference? DD#3 is right around 40 lbs and 44 1/2 inches. DD#4 is right around 38 lbs and 41 inches.

ADS

jjordan

I would probably put dd4 in the untethered GN because of her lower center of gravity that will naturally result in slightly less head excursion. I am curious to see, though, if someone more "expert" than I has a different idea.

Mom2FiveGirls

I would probably put dd4 in the untethered GN because of her lower center of gravity that will naturally result in slightly less head excursion. I am curious to see, though, if someone more "expert" than I has a different idea.

That's what I was thinking, but I really didn't know if that's how it would work. I'd prefer to have DD#4 in the second row, but she's been asking to move to the third row for a while so I know she'd love it. And I really don't have any reason for preferring her there except that DD#4 and DD#5 get along better than DD#3 and DD#5 (DD#3 tends to pick on her...), but since there will be 3 adults in the vehicle (2 who won't be driving), I don't think it will be a problem. DD#3 will be moving to a HBB once school starts back (she does fine in a booster for short trips, but still falls asleep and slumps forward in the HBB on longer trips...which we'll be taking a lot of this summer) so the seating arrangement is going to have to change again then anyway. Then DD#2 and DD#3 will be in the third row outboard positions in HBBs, DD#1 will be in a nbb on the passenger side second row, DD#4 will be in the GN harnessed (and tethered) in the center of the second row, and DD#5 will be behind the driver seat RFing.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Do you have any other convertibles? I would consider putting the 2 yo in a smaller convertible, and letting the 37 lb 4yo use the myride Rearfacing, such that a tether isn't an issue, unless the 4 yo is too tall for the MR.

Otherwise, i think your plan is fine.

Mom2FiveGirls

Do you have any other convertibles? I would consider putting the 2 yo in a smaller convertible, and letting the 37 lb 4yo use the myride Rearfacing, such that a tether isn't an issue, unless the 4 yo is too tall for the MR.

Otherwise, i think your plan is fine.

I thought about that. DD4 does fit in the MR RFing and I have a scenera that DD5 fits in RFing. But, I'd have to put it in the center of the third row which makes it so DD#2 can't get to her seat...well I think it would. I haven't actually tried. I'm going to clean the truck out tonight so I'll play around and see if I can get that to work. If I can I'll do that. If not I'll put DD#4 in the untethered seat and DD#3 in the tethered seat.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I thought about that. DD4 does fit in the MR RFing and I have a scenera that DD5 fits in RFing. But, I'd have to put it in the center of the third row which makes it so DD#2 can't get to her seat...well I think it would. I haven't actually tried. I'm going to clean the truck out tonight so I'll play around and see if I can get that to work. If I can I'll do that. If not I'll put DD#4 in the untethered seat and DD#3 in the tethered seat.

As a daily carseat situation, I can see how it could become overwhelmingly inconvenient to deal with that kind of thing, but we're talking about a singular trip, well there and back, right? In that case,
I believe I'd choose an extra 2 minutes of annoying climbing over/under/lifting, etc at the beginning and end of the trip and then have everyone secured as safely as possible during the trip over the other option. But realistically, each option is probably safe enough and reasonable as a choice.

Mom2FiveGirls

As a daily carseat situation, I can see how it could become overwhelmingly inconvenient to deal with that kind of thing, but we're talking about a singular trip, well there and back, right? In that case,
I believe I'd choose an extra 2 minutes of annoying climbing over/under/lifting, etc at the beginning and end of the trip and then have everyone secured as safely as possible during the trip over the other option. But realistically, each option is probably safe enough and reasonable as a choice.

We're actually taking several long-ish (4 hours+ each way) this summer, so ideally, I could just leave the seats there all summer. But I am not opposed to switching back and forth.

However, I went outside this afternoon and both the MR and the scenera in the third row. The My Ride was too wide...DD#1 and 2 could not get the seatbelts buckled and the MR overlapped the arm rests. The scenera fit better, but I could not get it installed tight enough. I'm going to try some more tomorrow (it started raining) though, so we'll see if I can get an acceptable installation back there. If so, I'd rather have DD#4 and DD#5 RFing. If not, I've done all I can do short of buying new seats (which while I'd love to have a new seat, I just can't justify it). Right now I've got the TBs outboard in the third row and DD#4 in the GN untethered in the center of the third row. Then DD#3 is tethered in the GN in the center of the second row and DD#5 is in the MR behind the driver seat (leaving the seat behind the passenger seat open for the adult passenger who ends up riding there (likely me). I haven't totally given up though. I had to get seats in there in order to take the big girls to school and run errands tomorrow though. And I'm having issues with the MR harness tightening (I posted another post). AHH!

I agree with you though. While it will be a pain for DD#1 to climb under the RFing seat to get to her seat, its doable (I had her try). We'll be traveling while we're at the beach (the hotel isn't on the beach....which I'm not thrilled about but my BIL booked the room, so... The beach is about 15 minutes away. Plus we're planning on going to the aquarium, out to eat, etc, so we'll be in and out of the truck. But, its still doable for a few days. I just don't know if I'm going to be able to make it work with the seats I have though.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
You've clearly thought this through, so I presume not, but -- are there lap-shoulder belts in the center? Can you put one of the TBs there, and put the GN outboard with a TA? (I don't have my manual handy so I don't know if there's even a TA there.)

Would the 'slide around the belt' trick work with the MR installed; put the booster on the seat and buckle it, then teach your child to slide around the belt? Also, I've had my kids take their shoes off at the door to the vehicle, then climb onto the outboard seat and step IN the RFing seat rather than crawl under. They know to step squarely in the center, so it's never messed up an install, although YMMV. Otherwise, maybe DD2 could climb under the seat, since she's smaller.

Otherwise, yes, youngest FF in the Nautilus untethered. IIRC smaller/younger children tend to fare better untethered than older ones (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.) I'd put as much room as you can between the second and third rows (if it's adjustable) and then let it be. The Nautilus tests well untethered, so it wouldn't stress me too much... if we were talking a different seat, then my answer might be different.

Mom2FiveGirls

No, only the outboard seats have lap and shoulder belts. All three seats in the center row have TAs. According to the manual there is a TA on the outboard (behind the driver) seat in the third row, however I haven't ever found it (well maybe....is it like a black elastic band thingy? I found that, but really didn't look too hard because the TBs have to be in the outboard position so it really doesn't matter right now.

I'm not sure if the two big girls could climb in with the seatbelt still buckled. Its definitely worth checking though.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Ok. I only asked because you explained that a headrest is why the adult couldn't ride center, so I thought maybe there were l-s belts.

My kids took a bit of practice to perfect the sliding, but it is do-able. On the plus side, they found it amusing at first (they roll their eyes a bit now but it's not that big of a deal.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC