Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

We need a New seat HELP!!!!

Ok My Ds needs a new seat we had him in a graco comfort sport until we had a wreck and we bought a radian xtsl and it will not install in our car correctly! I need a RF seat the will keep him Rf as long as possible that is not much taller than a graco comfort sport.

stats
    Ds is 20 months old
    26.4lbs
    34 1/2 inches tall
    17 1/2 inches tall (seated height)
    We have a 2000 Plymouth Voyager

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: We need a New seat HELP!!!!

First of all, his seat doesn't have to be at a 45 degree angle. Only infants (until they have pretty good head control) need to be at that angle. After that the seat can be pretty upright. That is where a lot "of it doesn't fit rear facing" comes from. There are some pretty tiny cars that bigger car seats have fit in. If an infant seat fit back there, we can make a big convertable fit.

I had the true fit and loved it. It is a pretty big seat however. It's fairly easy to get it pretty upright though. Another seat (we currently own) is the Complete air. Most Dorel seats actually need a pool noodle to get them to recline enough. So there shouldn't be any front to back space issues on that one as the seat is going to naturally sit pretty upright.
    Brooklyn- 7 years, 47 lbs and 49 inches riding in an Oobr, 2 Ollis, Monterey, Vivo, Literider, and Cruz

Moderator - CPS Technician

An tech who is experienced with Radians may be able to help you install your seat correctly. You can check this thread for a car-seat.org member tech nearby, or start a thread titled "looking for a tech near xx," then ask whoever you find if they've installed radians before. (Even if they haven't, they may be able to help with yours. There are sometimes some tricks that can help the install be much easier.)

If your voyager is the same as a 2001 caravan or a 2000 caravan (another one) then you may be in luck.

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

A ComfortSport is a very short seat. A seat with higher limits will necessarily be larger. However, there are plenty of seats that will fit in a Caravan/Voyager: if the Radian doesn't work, try a Complete Air.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

DD#5 was in a comfort sport and then we got a MyRide (which she is now in). The MR really didn't take up much more space than the CS did. DH can still move the front seat back almost as far as he could move it back with the CS without touching/moving (sometimes it touches, but doesn't push it forward at all) the seat.
    Sarah
    Mom to: Alyssa (13 years, 5'4", seat belt) Makaela (12 years, 5'0", 78 lbs, 5 steps in most vehicles, cosco nbb in DH's truck) Sydney (10 years, 57", 68 lbs, Parkway SG, literider) Lillian (8 years, 75 lbs, 54" Parkway SGL, literider) Ella (7 years, 48 lbs, 48", CA65, Frontier85)

Also, if you don't want to return the Radian, maybe you could post exactly what problems you are having getting it installed, and maybe even some pictures and we can help walk you through it
    DD: 3/08, 47 lbs riding FF in a Nauti and Maestro
    DD2: 11/10, 27 lbs riding RF in a Britax MA and Diono Radian

If the Voyager is in fact similar to the Caravan, then you shouldn't have a problem if you just install the seat more upright. I've put a Radian in my 2nd and 3rd rows, no problem.
    Carly
    mom to Bram [10 years/32lbs/41" - BT 3-in-1 & Nauti]
    ...and TTC an excuse to buy a new seat since 2/2013

I agree with the others. I have a tiny 2 door car & I have fit many bigger seats in there. The key to getting a bigger convertable seat into a smaller space is a more upright install. How to do that is to pull the car seats base out from the vehicles seat crack about 1/2-2 inches & then when tightening the install to push down where the child's feet go instead of their bottom.

I have fit a Britax Marathon, Evenflo Triumph Adavance, Safety 1st Uptown, First Year TrueFit, Cosco Scenera, Safety 1st 3 in 1 & a Graco My Ride 65. All have fit pretty well while still leaving enough room for a passenger.
    Krista Mommy 2 Marcus, 6 years old, 48 inches tall, 40-42lbs, 16 inch torso & riding in a Graco Safety Surround!!