We need a New seat HELP!!!!

AbbieJack

Ok My Ds needs a new seat we had him in a graco comfort sport until we had a wreck and we bought a radian xtsl and it will not install in our car correctly! I need a RF seat the will keep him Rf as long as possible that is not much taller than a graco comfort sport.

stats
Ds is 20 months old
26.4lbs
34 1/2 inches tall
17 1/2 inches tall (seated height)
We have a 2000 Plymouth Voyager

ADS

brooklynsmommy

First of all, his seat doesn't have to be at a 45 degree angle. Only infants (until they have pretty good head control) need to be at that angle. After that the seat can be pretty upright. That is where a lot "of it doesn't fit rear facing" comes from. There are some pretty tiny cars that bigger car seats have fit in. If an infant seat fit back there, we can make a big convertable fit.

I had the true fit and loved it. It is a pretty big seat however. It's fairly easy to get it pretty upright though. Another seat (we currently own) is the Complete air. Most Dorel seats actually need a pool noodle to get them to recline enough. So there shouldn't be any front to back space issues on that one as the seat is going to naturally sit pretty upright.

jjordan

An tech who is experienced with Radians may be able to help you install your seat correctly. You can check this thread for a car-seat.org member tech nearby, or start a thread titled "looking for a tech near xx," then ask whoever you find if they've installed radians before. (Even if they haven't, they may be able to help with yours. There are sometimes some tricks that can help the install be much easier.)

If your voyager is the same as a 2001 caravan or a 2000 caravan (another one) then you may be in luck.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
A ComfortSport is a very short seat. A seat with higher limits will necessarily be larger. However, there are plenty of seats that will fit in a Caravan/Voyager: if the Radian doesn't work, try a Complete Air.

Mom2FiveGirls

DD#5 was in a comfort sport and then we got a MyRide (which she is now in). The MR really didn't take up much more space than the CS did. DH can still move the front seat back almost as far as he could move it back with the CS without touching/moving (sometimes it touches, but doesn't push it forward at all) the seat.

kaysmom

Also, if you don't want to return the Radian, maybe you could post exactly what problems you are having getting it installed, and maybe even some pictures and we can help walk you through it:)

urchin_grey

If the Voyager is in fact similar to the Caravan, then you shouldn't have a problem if you just install the seat more upright. I've put a Radian in my 2nd and 3rd rows, no problem. :)

Mommy2Marcus

I agree with the others. I have a tiny 2 door car & I have fit many bigger seats in there. The key to getting a bigger convertable seat into a smaller space is a more upright install. How to do that is to pull the car seats base out from the vehicles seat crack about 1/2-2 inches & then when tightening the install to push down where the child's feet go instead of their bottom.

I have fit a Britax Marathon, Evenflo Triumph Adavance, Safety 1st Uptown, First Year TrueFit, Cosco Scenera, Safety 1st 3 in 1 & a Graco My Ride 65. All have fit pretty well while still leaving enough room for a passenger.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC