What carseat to get?

U

Unregistered

My daughter will soon be leaving her safeseat and I am not sure which seat to buy. I have been thinking about a Nautilus and also a Frontier. Any advice?

ADS

hel

How old is your DD, and what is her height and weight? There are now convertibles that will rear-face her for another 10-15 pounds, assuming she's near the 30 pound limit of the SS, and depending on her age, that may be the best way to go.

Maedze

After a child finishes using an infant carrier, you want a convertible :). Your child should remain rear facing for several more years. The Nautilus is a nice seat but absolutely not appropriate for your child. If you give your baby's specifics (height, weight and age), your budget and your vehicle, I'm sure people will be able to guide you in the right direction :)

U

Unregistered

Well I guess the seats I was considering are a little early, so what is a good convertible seat to get? She is 14 months. 24lbs, and 30". We have a sebring and I am looking to spend around $250, I want her to be safe so the 250 is a little flexible. thanks

hel

By the looks of it, she's in the 50th percentile for height, and the 75th for weight; has that been reasonably consistent?

I'm not a tech, but I recently moved my daughter to a convertible, so I can tell you what I did. First, I looked at the list of car seats available in Canada. Because I want to rear face my daughter as long as possible, I narrowed it down to the four seats that have high weight limits and/or the tallest shell. Then I went and put my daughter in each seat in the store to check the fit on her. At that stage, because my daughter is long and skinny, I ruled out the MyRide, which has a shorter shell, but a higher weight limit. That left me with 3 seats, which I tried in my car in order of my preference. I ended up with the True Fit. If you go through the same process, it's very possible, even probable, that you'll end up with a different seat.

I'm going to assume here that there's no point in looking at the convertibles that RF to 30 pounds, since you already have a seat that will get her to that weight. Do you want to rear face her as long as possible? There are several good seats that will let you rear face her until she's probably 3 or 4, possibly 5. The list of high weight seats should give you a good starting point.

The seats that go to 40+ pounds rear facing in Canada (and are most likely to get you to 3 or 4) are the various flavours of Radian, the Complete Air, and the MyRide. If I were in your situation, I probably wouldn't look at the True Fit, since it's got a long shell, but only rear faces to 35 pounds; I suspect your DD (If her percentiles are consistent) will likely hit the weight limit before the tall shell is is useful. Both the MyRide and the CA are in your price range, as is the basic Radian (which is every bit as safe as the higher end models, which add padding and headwings).

The best seat for you is the one that fits your child, fits your car, and that you'll use consistently every time.

I hope this helps. Take a look at the list of seats, and if anything jumps out at you, I'd encourage you to ask questions about it. Once you get to the stage of having a short list to try your daughter in, you can post pictures to the board to check the fit; I did and got helpful feedback from some of the techs here.

Of course, I'm assuming here that you're in a geographical location that will allow you to actually try out the seats.. is that the case?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC