Opinions please!

cpsaddict

I am looking for a new vehicle, as my '01 Escape has 106,000 miles on it!:eek: I LOVE the looks(and price) of the Mazda 5. However, I am a single 27 year old, so does the 5 look too minivan-ish(I make up words)? I want something slightly larger than my Escape, but not too big. My mom's Explorer is too big to manage. The Expeditions, well, Holy big car batman! I don't care for the Durango and the Trailblazer is out of my price range. The 5 seems to be a good compromise. Am I missing something?

Any opinions are welcome!

ADS

lovinwaves

My first impression when I see the 5 is a minivan crossover, or family type car. I would also look into the Toyota Highlander (hybrid), Honda Pilot, Honda CRV, Toyota Rav-4 since it sounds like you are wanting something SUV-ish. :) I'm not sure though if the CRV and Rav-4 are going to be much bigger than your Escape though...

cpsaddict

Well, I love the new CRV, but I was hoping to be able to get a couple more people in. I am the only one in my Escape, but even if I just do a big grocery trip, it seems to be so small! When I take my best friend and her dd, we have a rf MA and her stroller, plus all of our purchases. Then I cannot even SEE out the back window. I have loved my Escape for it's driveability. The RAV4 seats 7 now, but I think it is slightly ugly(JMO). Something about the back of it. Besides the fact that I would have to sell my first born to afford it! :p I think the price of the 5 is what I like the best.

Thanks for the insight!

Splash

I loved the 5 when I drove it. I REALLY wanted one, but the safety of the Forester (with the 5 being untested in the US at that point) swayed me. BIG mistake. I hate the Forester and I know I would have loved the 5.

It's awesome. A bit underpowered, but not something you're likely to notice in most driving conditions.

cpsaddict

Thanks! I don't think it could be more underpowered than my Escape. 2.0L 4Cyl 5spd. I call it the Gutless Wonder!

:D

Splash

I didn't notice it with just me and the sales guy in the car. I was able to merge with no problem. I never tried any inclines (uh, florida), though, and I never had it full. I DO think, though, it you maxed it out (six people) merging and passing would be annoying. You could do it, but I think you would feel the strain at that point. If you regularly tote a lot of people or gear, it might not be the best option. But if it's normally just you and some groceries with an occasional friend thrown in, you should be fine.

All four rear seating positions have top tethers :)

southpawboston

we almost bought a 5, since it is based on the mazda3 and drives more sportingly than any other minivan or SUV on the market (in the US, at least), but after driving a mazda3 (which is even more sport-tuned than the 5), we fell in love with the 3. but with two kids, the mazda5 makes more sense. so when we buy our second car sometime in the next year or two, i'm pretty sure it will be the 5. the sliding side doors are actually growing on me, and the 5 has also earned top safety ratings in europe and japan (hasn't been tested in the US yet, but i know an engineer for mazda who tells me it will get top ratings here as well :) ). it's also a bargain at about $20k loaded.

skipspin

I test drove the 5 when it came out (I got a $25 giftcard, LOL) and really loved it. My DH is a GM man, but is willing to try anything but Ford. he was sceptical, but went with me to test drive one. He is a mechanic (cars and planes) and was VERY impressed.

For our next vehicle we had to decide between three totally different vehicles. (We're weird I guess.)

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4 door
Toyota Sienna (probably 1-2 yr old)
Mazda 5

We decided on leasing the Jeep for now, since we really love our old little wrangler, but if I need more seating (we'll probably have 3 kids) I will probably be back deciding between the other two in a few years. Maybe there will be more options then.

The only things I didn't like about the 5:
It would be hard to have 2 RFing kids and needing to use the back seats
Not much cargo room if 5-6 seats are used

Everything else was great.

super_grape

I test drove the 5 when it came out (I got a $25 giftcard, LOL) and really loved it. My DH is a GM man, but is willing to try anything but Ford. he was sceptical, but went with me to test drive one. He is a mechanic (cars and planes) and was VERY impressed.

Mine too, in fact he's threatening me with an Uplander right now:) but I
sooooo want the 5 - I'm just sick to death of driving a Minivan(altho I do love my friend's Nissan Quest)!

I wish the 5 got better gas mileage. According to the website it gets the same or slightly less than the Uplander....that's not helping my cause any, lol!

amy919

I have a Ford Freestyle and love it. I have the 6 passenger version with the bucket seats in the middle row, so you can "walk" back to the 3rd row like you can in a minivan. Also, the 3rd row is great, even for average sized adults. I am average size and my mom (who is 5'9" sat back there with me on a trip to the shore - a 2 hours drive - in comfort).

You can also get the 7 passenger version with a middle bench seat, but I hate moving my car seats and I like the ability to walk back to the 3rd row.

Both bucket seats have latch, as does one of 3rd row seats. I love how easy the 3rd row is to put down. It's super easy to configure!

If you want more room than your Escape, but don't want the mini-van look, check out the Freestyle. I've been very happy with it.

Amy

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
I have a Mazda 5 and I LOVE it. I really do. We've had it for one year and we've got 16,000 miles on it (including a 4,000-mile roadtrip from CA to IL and back).

I like the sliding doors, the easy-to-fold seats, all the hidden storage spots, the sporty way it handles, all the airbags, and it's great for carseats.

My only wishes for it are an armrest for the front passenger seat and that it came with tinted windows (we had our tinted after we bought it). One common complaint is that the A/C doesn't reach the rear rows fast enough, but the tinting has helped cool down the back significantly. And they might have fixed that by now--ours is an 06 model.

Let me know if you have more questions!

southpawboston

My only wishes for it are an armrest for the front passenger seat and that it came with tinted windows (we had our tinted after we bought it).

funny you mention that, that was one of the reasons we skipped on the 5, we really wanted that armrest!!! we had hoped that they would add it to the 07s, but they didn't! :(

cpsaddict

Thanks everybody!
Namegirl, do the back seats fold flat? I most likely would not use those too often and folding flat would be a nice feature.
I will definately check out the Freestyle. I sat in one when they came out and it did have a lot of room. Oh, and I think that one has AWD available. I have 4 wheel drive on my Escape and it has been nice the few times I used it.
Hmmmm, what to do?
More research, I guess............:cool:

amy919

The Freeystyle is roomy! I traded it for an Explorer and I definitely feel like I am have more room. My favorite thing about it is the well behind the 3rd row. I rarely use the 3rd row and love that it folds flat (EASILY!) I also love that I can easily have 1 seat up and 1 down in the 3rd row. It's very versatile. But even with the 3rd row seats in use, the well is so deep that I can have my stroller, diaper bag and and more back there.

Mine is an 05 SEL with AWD. I've driven in in the ice and snow and it's done as well as my Explorer with 4WD.

Good luck car shopping!

Amy

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
Thanks everybody!
Namegirl, do the back seats fold flat? I most likely would not use those too often and folding flat would be a nice feature.

Yes, the 3rd row folds flat very easily. I keep mine down most of the time.

Morganthe

I am looking for a new vehicle, as my '01 Escape has 106,000 miles on it!
Any opinions are welcome!

Okay, here's my opinion ;) IF the only reason you're looking to get a new vehicle is that your Escape has over 100,000 miles, then don't. If it's in great shape, not giving you any troubles, suits your needs, and you like it, then keep it. Save your money as long as you can before buying a newer car. :)

100,000 miles is no longer the deadly number it used to be. I've driven 2 cars over the 230,000 mile marker and they still had great wear on them when I sold them. Ditto with dh :)

My Toyota has over 115,000 miles and with the alignment I had today, drives like new :) (I had an old guy tell me that I needed a new car because it had miles on it -- Only if he paid for it!:eek: )

It is so much less expensive driving a good used car than buying a new one for the sole reason that the mileage is high. DH & I spend less than $600 total a year to run & maintain our 2 older cars with occasional issues like brakes or struts. That's cheaper than any new car. Insurance is less. Paranoia is less. And life is so much easier to handle without car payments ;)

I'll get off the soapbox now & shut up :p

LuvBug

I do agree that if the only reason is you are over 100k then I wouldnt bother to get a new car(but if you really want one for other reasons then go ahead). Everyone in my family drives a car until it falls apart, so that means well over 200k miles. My dad's current car just turned 6 and is less than 10k away from 200k miles and still drives great(and he does NOT take good care of it lol!).

beebear23

Senior Community Member
I am looking for a new vehicle, as my '01 Escape has 106,000 miles on it!:eek:

That's it? My '00 Ford Focus has over 140,000 miles on it. We'll be getting a new one soon.. :)

IMO, the Mazda 5 does look minivan-ish... But that's just me.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC