Flight Questions

illumini

Hi! I had asked some questions on another thread, but I thought it best to just start a new thread here. I'm flying with my soon to be 7 month old to Hawaii from Florida. We are flying on a charter plane. I believe it is a 737-800. There are 5 people (including ds) in our party and we all have seats. I don't know, however, how many total people will be on the plane nor the configuration (except that it is all one class). We are bringing our car seat but we are not sure which one. I have a Graco Snugride that is a rear adjust. I hate it. :thumbsdown: We also have our Graco MyRide. Love it :thumbsup: Which one should I bring? Either way if I can swing it I am bringing the MyRide to the airport. We are parking in employee parking if I'm not mistaken. If that is anywhere near the hanger I think we are boarding in I might just try to install it given the chance. Someone help please. I am a flying rookie (one flight under my belt and it was short! 1 hour :whistle:)

Lauren

ADS

MomToEliEm

That sounds like a good plan to try and install the MyRide and if it doesn't work, go back and get your snugride. The MyRide might require that the armrests be raised up in order to have enough room to install. As long as your plane has seats that have moveable armrests, you shouldn't have issues there. If the seats are close together, the MyRide might not give you much rearfacing room, though hopefully your son would do well with a more upright install. What will you be using for a vehicle once you are in Hawaii? Will you be installing and uninstalling your seat often? If you were going to be moving the seat around a lot, it might be more tempting to use the snugride since it is easier to install baseless then the MyRide (at least when I was rushed to install seats).

I hope you enjoy your trip to Hawaii.

kbud

I'd take the snug ride. It's much easier to travel with and will fit. Even though it's a charter you will still be going through security. Is the trip through a travel company? If so who? You can usually find out who the airline is. Most charters are regular airlines flying the flight. Unless it's a very small airport employee parking is usually not close to the terminal (I've been an airline employee at many airports) and usually requires riding on an employee shuttle. Unless you are flying out of an FBO (fixed based operation for private planes) which I doubt, there is probably no why you'd be able to go back to the car and switch seats if the My Ride didn't fit. Although if you are on a 737 I'm pretty certain it will fit. I'm not familiar with the My Ride on a plane but if it fits on other airlines I'm 99% sure it will on your flight. But still I see it to be a pain going through security and to/from the plane. Have fun!

illumini

Um Its not through a travel company. Its through the airline itself. I am flying on what could be called a "friends and family" flight. I don't know what the actual term is, my paperwork had it (non-r something I think). A family member works for the airline as a purser. I was told by my mother who relayed from the family member that we would not be going through security. That could be wrong though. I was also told in this same manner that we will be boarding in a hanger, not going through the terminals etc. I believe I may be flying out of one of those FBO's though. The airport is Miami and I know the airline. I'm hesitant to share everything but if its helpful I can spill.

This airline only owns 737's so I may just bring the MR. My ds screams when he is in the SG and I can see him doing this on the flight. I might also discuss with my family member employee what would be best.

kbud

Um Its not through a travel company. Its through the airline itself. I am flying on what could be called a "friends and family" flight. I don't know what the actual term is, my paperwork had it (non-r something I think). A family member works for the airline as a purser. I was told by my mother who relayed from the family member that we would not be going through security. That could be wrong though. I was also told in this same manner that we will be boarding in a hanger, not going through the terminals etc. I believe I may be flying out of one of those FBO's though. The airport is Miami and I know the airline. I'm hesitant to share everything but if its helpful I can spill.

This airline only owns 737's so I may just bring the MR. My ds screams when he is in the SG and I can see him doing this on the flight. I might also discuss with my family member employee what would be best.

That's interesting. I worked for the airlines and my husband currently does and I've never heard of a friends and family flight. We've worked for small, big and charter airlines too. I bet it's "non-rev" meaning non-revenue passenger. I just find it hard to believe you won't be going through any security. I could see that if the entire flight was airline employees but that isn't the case. If the airline has a hangar than they could board you through there and there probably wouldn't be security but I'd find it hard to believe the FAA would be ok w/this as you are not an airline employee. Hangars are secured areas. I say talk to the employee so you know what to expect for sure. I'm really surprised post 9/11 an airline would/could operate a flight w/out security unless all the passengers were employees. If the employee is a purser (which is a flight attendant) he/she should be able to let you know if the My Ride will fit rear facing. That will be the question. I'm sure you'd be fine FF.

It sounds cool though so have fun! That's a long haul from FL to HI! I'm in FL as well;)

illumini

Thank you. It is a Non-Rev flight. That's what it was called on my paperwork. The airline is a charter company called Miami Air. They are offering to their FA's up to 6 seats each on a plane trip to Hawaii for themselves and 5 family members or friends. :love: I think with all those FA's we will be able to figure something out! I'm not sure on the security thing. :whistle: But luckily we are staying with the employee the night before so I will clear it up then. Thanks for your help!

kbud

Thank you. It is a Non-Rev flight. That's what it was called on my paperwork. The airline is a charter company called Miami Air. They are offering to their FA's up to 6 seats each on a plane trip to Hawaii for themselves and 5 family members or friends. :love: I think with all those FA's we will be able to figure something out! I'm not sure on the security thing. :whistle: But luckily we are staying with the employee the night before so I will clear it up then. Thanks for your help!

Very cool! Have fun. I worked for a charter that did something similar. They had a travel club and when the flight didn't sell out to the revenue travel club members they would sell the unsold seats to family/friends of the airline employees for just the cost of the taxes/fees. It though was a revenue flight.
Yeah, w/all those f/a's I hope you can figure something out. Enjoy.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC