convertible or bucket

ed_tricia

We have a 4 1/2 yo in a nautilus and are expecting #2 in a few weeks. We can't decide between a bucket or going straight to convertible. We have one of each from DD that are not expired, but have decided they are not usable. The infant seat (snugride 22) is only 3 pt. and expires in Dec., the convertible (comfortsport) will not install tightly outboard, doesn't allow the front seat to scoot enough for me to drive (I'm only 5'1"), and will not fit center next to the nautilus in our vibe at all.
The bucket (would get a snugride 32 or 35 if it installs well) would be good in case baby falls asleep I can transfer her w/o taking her out. However, my 4 yo is a runner and I have to keep a hand on her at all times, so I don't know how handy it would be to heft a seat in and out all the time. I'm planning to use a sling or wrap frequently anyways. With a convertible (true fit if it installs well), we wouldn't have to buy a new seat in a year or so. I would love to install them side by side, but the way the seat in the car curves, I don't know if that will happen.
So...do you use a convertible or bucket for your baby? Do you wish you had gone the other route? How often do you transfer baby from point A to B in the bucket? Do you ever use a sling or carrier? A stroller?

ADS

geekKT

I went straight to a convertible, the TrueFit. I like my choice.

I do see the advantage of having a bucket seat for transfer and when baby is sleeping. There are a few times when it would have been nice to have one (it snowed here a few days ago) but most of the time it doesn't bug me.

But...I cheat. Mostly I carry my DS or put him in a BabyHawk, or sometimes a stroller, depending on whether I need to be able to push a cart or something. However, I have a travel system given to me by a trusted friend with a SR22 in it that expired this past December. Because he's still so little I will occasionally bring the expired, empty Snugride along (restrained or in the trunk) and use it if I need somewhere to put him, like yesterday at my OB's office, where I am the patient and can't easily hold him. That darn thing is heavy and awkward though! Every time I carry his little 12lbs in it I remember why I didn't want to lug one around in the first place.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'm a convertible from birth gal, though I'm currently using a Safety 1st Onboard 35 Air infant seat. I find it easier to not have to deal with the carseat when not in the car, though it's nice to sometimes have a place to keep her.

The three point infant seat I wouldn't use again, and I don't know if the Comfortsport fits newborns.

The True Fit is awesome, it's generally what my baby rides in. And my nearly eight year old is in a Nautilus. They do NOT fit next to one another at all in my car. No way no how. Couldn't if my life depended on it. So they ride one on each side, with not a lot of room between them (Piper can squeeze between them in her RSTV if necessary, but it's tight, and she's thin).

Wendy

crunchierthanthou

Have you considered the Coccoro? I can fit mine next to a Nautilus in my small car and the front seats can be all the way back when it's outboard. It won't last forever, but longer than almost any infant seat.

ed_tricia

Thanks. I am NOT using the 3 pt. infant seat. I'm hoping it's locally recyclable cause I'd hate to put it in the actual trash. The cocorro is cute, but since I'd still need another seat in a couple years, I'm going w/ a bigger one. I really want the true fit, but still have the myride as a back up option. I found a few places that have return shipping just in case the TF won't work in my car. Too bad the two won't fit side by side, but as long as I can get the TF in tight (which should work from all I've read) I'll be happy. I know I can get her nautilus in really tight w/ LATCH or seatbelt.
Wendy-are you able to scoot the front seats back much w/ a RF true fit? I like the removable headrest idea for while we need newborn recline, so I'm hoping that gains us a couple inches. I don't know what we'll do on road trips when we switch drivers back and forth cause DH is 6'1" and I'm only 5'1"...

Pixels

We used a bucket exclusively until 7.5 months, but around 5-6 months we started leaving the bucket in the car most of the time (using it like a convertible). Then winter hit, and it was back to lugging the bucket. Not convenient, but better than the alternative, IMO. Because the bucket we have is incompatible with DH's car now (we had a different base that is now expired), I don't know what we'll do when baby2 comes along. Baby isn't in DH's car anywhere as often as mine, so we might do convertible from birth in his car, bucket in mine.

The ComfortSport does fit newborns quite well, except the innermost crotch strap setting is several inches out. That can be dealt with by using a crotch roll (tightly rolled washcloth placed between the diaper and crotch strap to keep the hips back). If you decide to use a convertible from birth, and can get the ComfortSport installed, you could put off buying a seat for several months to several years. My two year old still has 6 pounds and a few inches of growing room rear facing in hers. She also has some room to reach the crotch strap, even wearing cloth.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'm 5'1", same as you. There's enough room between the headrestless True Fit and my front seat for Piper to very easily come through. With the headrest she can squeeze through. That was a newborn angle, and it's easier even now.

Generally, by the time the headrest is needed you can put the seat more upright, so the True Fit fits in most small backseats. :)

Wendy

ed_tricia

Alright, I finally decided! I found the TF recline for $143, which is $10 less than I could find a regular TF anywhere. I called DH and ran through the features of each style, and I'm clicking "buy" on Amazon now. Now baby just better stay put until it gets here so we can install it. Thanks! I love this site.

amylynne01

I personally used a bucket until the girls were 16 months and 11 months. DD1 used it exclusively until 8 months and then it was a seat in DH's truck until 16 months. DD2 used it exclusively the whole time. If I had another, we'd go right to a convertible. I baby-wear, so why bother with a bucket?

I think the TF is a great seat for newborns, so I think you'll love it!

ed_tricia

It's called city chic, and it looks like it's black with silver. The infant insert is black also, so at first the seat will be almost all black. DD is excited b/c it will match her seat-the matrix nautilus. She is super excited about her new role as a big sis! I plan on this baby being in a carrier a lot so I am hands free to chase/play with big sis.
Before we bought the nautilus, I actually contemplated a true fit for her. I did do a ton of thread searching when the my ride came out though, but still wanted the TF. I just thought we'd wait 6-12 mos. before buying it, but it seems like the best choice right now. DD grew long and thin, so if this one follows it will be the perfect seat.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
That sounds cool! I have to say I loved using a convertible from birth with my third, I'm pregnant again, we're planning on a Coccoro (almost certainly) this time around, and I just plain don't ever intend to buy an infant bucket again if I can help it (and with the CCO rated down to 3 lbs. by the time I buy it, I see no reason now why I'd be unable to!)

swtgi1982

We used a convertible to come home from hospital with, but when I found out that carrier for him was not working until c-sect healed full I borrowed my friends bucket. But very quickly switched back to convertible as soon as wound healed. Because I had two runners (three almost four at the time and two and a half) With bucket that only left one hand for two runners who refused to hold each others hands! So baby went back to convertible and carrier, and now with two hands free for my little runners, all is well!

StillThankful

I did both.

For DD1--from hospital, used Evenflo Titan V and transported in snugli while shopping.

For DD2--from hospital, used Graco Snugride (22) and transported in bucket carseat from place to place for 11 months.

I liked both options equally--they both have their pros and cons.

I think it boils down to personal preference.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC