Booster Training Question

Mingie

CPST Instructor
So my 4.5 year old dd is still happily riding in her Frontier in my van and a Nautilus in my dh's SUV. But lately she is asking about riding in a booster. I blame that on her classmates as I have never brought up the subject. My plan was to always use the seats until she has outgrown the harness or weight limit. But I am considering starting to booster train her in the fall when she turns 5. She is hovering around 40lbs and is very tall(however luckily has long legs).

We talk about her being able to sit still the entire time in order to be able to be in a booster in the car. But I am wondering what else we need to chat about. She is talking about it every day lately when I pick her up and pointing out her classmates in boosters. I usually tell her I want her to be safe and that I won't move her just yet.

I don't want to move her soon but maybe just start introducing the booster when she turns 5.

TIA.

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
In addition to talking about sitting still, I would make sure she knows how the belt is supposed to fit. Lap belt touching the thighs, shoulder belt on the shoulder (not under the arm or across the neck.) Maybe you could spend some time this summer trying her in different boosters (in the store) to see how she fits to bide her time.

HONEYhas3

CPST Instructor
We have been booster training for about 3 months. DD will be 5 in 2 weeks, is 46lbs and we only use the booster to and from school, which is a 2 minute ride. During the ride we talk about how to stay safe when using the booster. When strapping her in, she tells me how it should be...... like if i put the lap belt OVER the arm rests.... or put the shoulder portion UNDER her arm.... I do this so she can correct the mistakes. She is doing very well with training, and soon we will take trips that are 5-10 minutes away from home.

Mingie

CPST Instructor
We have been booster training for about 3 months. DD will be 5 in 2 weeks, is 46lbs and we only use the booster to and from school, which is a 2 minute ride. During the ride we talk about how to stay safe when using the booster. When strapping her in, she tells me how it should be...... like if i put the lap belt OVER the arm rests.... or put the shoulder portion UNDER her arm.... I do this so she can correct the mistakes. She is doing very well with training, and soon we will take trips that are 5-10 minutes away from home.

That sounds very doable here. I was thinking just for back and forth from school which is also about 2 minutes. She is very determined to ride in one so I think she will listen well when I give instructions. And getting her to help correct mistakes sounds like a good way to teach.

babyherder

Maybe she would be happy with a booster just going to and from school anyway, where she is seeing her peers. My little bro is 13 and the deal we have now is that he can sit in the front if I am picking him up from school or a school related activity where his peers are. He wants to ride in the front "like everyone else." Other than that he sits in the back. He's happy about that (since I firmly refused to move the car unless he was in the back until after he turned 13).

Mingie

CPST Instructor
Maybe she would be happy with a booster just going to and from school anyway, where she is seeing her peers. My little bro is 13 and the deal we have now is that he can sit in the front if I am picking him up from school or a school related activity where his peers are. He wants to ride in the front "like everyone else." Other than that he sits in the back. He's happy about that (since I firmly refused to move the car unless he was in the back until after he turned 13).

Maybe that would help. I could put her Frontier in the back bench and then get a separate booster for drop off and pick up. I will wait until she is closer to 5 though. Maybe the booster could be a present for her birthday.

babyherder

I just told my brother flat out no front seat until he was driving so many times he thought of it as a bonus to sit in the front at all. I was thinking if you just said no and then got her a surprise school booster for her bday she would be happy. Just a thought. Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC