Question Talk to me about the RSTV

littleangelfire

It was suggested in another thread that I consider the RSTV for an upcoming trip that includes a flight and a rental car. I never once considered it, just don't hear much about it, so wasn't on my radar. I intended to take my son's FR85. He's 5, almost 6, about 55lbs, hasn't been measured in a while, but I'm guessing about 50 inches tall. Was 2nd to top slot on the Regent, top harness position on FR85. He sits fine in a booster, and does most of the time at home. But I specifically purchased a FR85 so he could have a harness to use on the plane and I could have it as his booster at the other end. I wasn't relishing the thought of toting it through the airport, though I did get a luggage cart. And I didn't see another way around it - I really want the 5 point harness at the other end for the part of the trip that involves driving 3 hours one way.

But....I'll consider the RSTV. This may be a pointless exercise for me since we leave on June 10 - a little over a week away. I'd have to figure out someone to borrow one from, or I guess I could temporarily come up with the money with the intention of selling it when I get back.

My worries about using it:
1) Lack of SIP. I don't know what kind of car we'll get, I ordered a compact. Although someone mentioned in another thread I found about it that the RSTV tests similar to a 5 point harness which means I guess despite lack of any physical SIP, how it works somehow provides something along those lines

2) It will be HOT HOT HOT and humid, or so I've heard Florida is in June. I worry about him being hot already from walking around all day and then getting into a 150 degree car and putting the RSTV, which yet someone else said was several layers, and rather thick.

3) My kid is rather picky. I read on here about some kids taking issue with the tether strap, and it doesn't look altogether comfy to me, either.

4)anyone want to lend me one for a few weeks if I pay postage? lol

ADS

scoutingbear

My worries about using it:
1) Lack of SIP. I don't know what kind of car we'll get, I ordered a compact. Although someone mentioned in another thread I found about it that the RSTV tests similar to a 5 point harness which means I guess despite lack of any physical SIP, how it works somehow provides something along those lines
I have never worred about SIP with A in his RSTV. It really does secure him more like a 5 pt harness than a booster seat. I would not hesitate to use it on C if I had one in his size! You could most likely use it in the middle as well, since most (if not all) rental cars should be new enough to have lap/shoulder belts in all seating positions.

2) It will be HOT HOT HOT and humid, or so I've heard Florida is in June. I worry about him being hot already from walking around all day and then getting into a 150 degree car and putting the RSTV, which yet someone else said was several layers, and rather thick. The RSTV is a bit thick, but A has never complained, even using it in the summer. The newer ones have more webbing in the back than a solid back so from what I hear, it is cooler because there isn't as much "stuff" to the vest.

3) My kid is rather picky. I read on here about some kids taking issue with the tether strap, and it doesn't look altogether comfy to me, either. You do not have to use the tether if you are using hte vest with a lap/shoulder combination belt. We have never used it with A. With a younger child I might, but your child is big enough to definitely be in my comfort range for using the vest without.

4)anyone want to lend me one for a few weeks if I pay postage? lol
Can't do this, but good luck with what you decide!

We love our RSTV and it has been great for carpools, other people picking up A, getting 3 across with boosters/GNs in our backseat for giving friend's rides, etc. The best part is that it never expires so it could last you a long time if you bought new. And the new ones come in all sorts of colors. :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
We loved our RSTV when we used it for a few trips... yeah, it's a touch toasty in a hot Hawaiian car (might be worse in Florida, lol), but no worse than a carseat, really...aim the air to the center for him. Some kids really love it, they DO treat it like a cool space vest and ask to wear it in the house for fun. Adults seem to be the skeptical naysayers...my kids loved it because it meant they 'didn't have to sit in a carseat' :rolleyes:

My kids have always been fine sitting in a plane seat at that age, and the RSTV is even easier to bring along than a backless booster :)

littleangelfire

Yeah, I have no issue with him just sitting in the plane's seatbelt - I just wanted a seat to use at the other end and didn't want to check it. hmmm... Maybe I'll show him a picture and see what he says. If he goes eeeeeewwww no right off the bat then I'll to not even bother.

Athena

With a younger child I might, but your child is big enough to definitely be in my comfort range for using the vest without

I'm also looking at this option for my DD1 and hadn't thought of most of these good questions. At about 4 yo (plus or minus a few days), 35 pounds, and almost 42" (approx at home measurements), would she need the tether?

It'll be hot where we're going too (although not FL hot) and we may have a 2 hour drive depending on where we fly into. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks.

Sorry for hijacking. I really appreciate getting to read the answers to your good questions.

DahliaRW

Ds1 is picky picky picky. When in his radian he would complain about the crotch strap all the time. He had no complaints about the vest. We put him in the middle and used the top tether, so the lack of SIP didn't bother me. It wasn't particularly hot, but as long as you get the car cooling as soon as you get in it probably won't be bad. And it's a breeze to travel with. LOVED not hauling 3 seats through the airport! Can't wait until ds2 is big enough for one for travel!

Unfortunately I can't lend you mind, ds1 uses it in dh's car.

littleangelfire

scoutingbear - thanks for posting your experiences with it - it's very helpful!

We loved our RSTV when we used it for a few trips... yeah, it's a touch toasty in a hot Hawaiian car (might be worse in Florida, lol), but no worse than a carseat, really...aim the air to the center for him. Some kids really love it, they DO treat it like a cool space vest and ask to wear it in the house for fun. Adults seem to be the skeptical naysayers...my kids loved it because it meant they 'didn't have to sit in a carseat' :rolleyes:

My kids have always been fine sitting in a plane seat at that age, and the RSTV is even easier to bring along than a backless booster :)

I showed my son a pic - he immediately declared he would rather use the vest than his seat. lol

Ds1 is picky picky picky. When in his radian he would complain about the crotch strap all the time. He had no complaints about the vest. We put him in the middle and used the top tether, so the lack of SIP didn't bother me. It wasn't particularly hot, but as long as you get the car cooling as soon as you get in it probably won't be bad. And it's a breeze to travel with. LOVED not hauling 3 seats through the airport! Can't wait until ds2 is big enough for one for travel!

Unfortunately I can't lend you mind, ds1 uses it in dh's car.

Thanks for chiming in! It definitely helps me get a better perspective. It just seems such a foreign idea - that this 'vest' can be just as safe as a full sized seat. Always hard to get past preconceived ideas about what you're used to and not used to. But I trust ya'll and none of you seems to have any reservations about using it at all. I want to watch the crash stuff they have on their site, but the darn thing keeps telling me I have to download something and then they can't find it. :rolleyes:I'll try again.

DahliaRW

There was someone on here a while back who had one. They got in an accident and the only child without some sort of injury was the one in the RSTV. The kids in car seats had at least bruises from their harnesses! That's what convinced me it was ok!

littleangelfire

hunh. I was finally able to see the crash test videos by using IE instead of firefox. And I looked up head excursion so I'd know what was allowable, and by the standard I do see why it could perform so well. I wonder how it performs in comparison to forward facing harness seats? I wish other companies would release their info.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm sure it outperforms at least some of them on several points. (Sunshine Kids releases most of their data. And there are federal testing numbers available for some seats.)

What is really awesome is that it spreads the crash forces over the whole torso. You get how a 5 point harness spreads the forces more than a 3 point belt does, right? Well, think about being able to spread it out EVEN MORE, over the whole surface area of the chest, etc. It's pretty cool.

And they REALLY can't move around in it. LOL.

littleangelfire

I'm sure it outperforms at least some of them on several points. (Sunshine Kids releases most of their data. And there are federal testing numbers available for some seats.)

What is really awesome is that it spreads the crash forces over the whole torso. You get how a 5 point harness spreads the forces more than a 3 point belt does, right? Well, think about being able to spread it out EVEN MORE, over the whole surface area of the chest, etc. It's pretty cool.

And they REALLY can't move around in it. LOL.

ahhhh. Never thought about it that way. Luckily my son isn't too bad about wiggling much in his seat - he knows if he wiggles too much he has to sit in the 5 point again. Although at some point that will become an empty threat b/c he'll outgrow it, especially now that I sold his Regents.

littleangelfire

Ya'll are a persuasive bunch - I bought one. :) Everyone will have to watch swap for it at a later date, lol. Still seems scary not to have something around his head, but those crash tests are convincing.

Athena

littleangelfire - I just wanted to thank you for this thread and all the informative questions you asked. This has been really helpful to me. I have some time before our trip, but I am definitely leaning this way. Happy Travels! :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It does come with an optional head pillow, which they claim reduces head forces a smidgen as well as being for comfort in the instructions. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC