Best convertibles for twins

shemmeke55

Hello,
Since we have twins, we need to have 2 convertible car seats in the backseats of both my car and my husbands car. I have a 2005 Mitsubishi Endeavor and my husband has a Mazda 6 - I THINK it's a 2005. I feel like regular reviews might be a little misleading for us since most of them assume you will put the seats in the middle whereas we will need the car seats to fit behind the drivers and passenger seats. My husband has the smaller car and he is quite tall so he might have issues with not being able to fit behind the wheel. Currently we have Graco snugride infant seats and one of the twins in particular always ended up having his head hang down and I was afraid he would suffocate. I had to put a pool noodle AND a towel under the base to make sure he was reclined enough to not hang himself! I don't want a convertible that I will have the same problem with. He is also large for his age so we will need a convertible that can face rear as we will not make it to 1 year before he hits 20-22 lbs. Lastly, since we have to buy 4 - we can't afford the best of the best. We need some in a lowerish price range. Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Welcome.

Did you have to use a pool noodle, towel, and the adjustable foot to get the proper angle? Your backseats are more sloped than mine. LOL

How old are your babies? They don't need a 45º angle if they have head control now.

Also, one year old is far too young to be thinking of forward facing. Since 2002 the AAP has recommended to rear face to the maximum limits of the convertible carseat, which is 35-45 pounds right now. That gets kids to 3-4 years old rear facing.

The best seat is the one that fits your car, fits your child, fits your budget, and will be used properly 100% of the time. Not to mention, I think I've recommended a Britax (currently the most expensive brand) once or twice in the past year? Even when parents say that price is no object.

The seats I'd look at for you guys are generally under $200.

First, I'd look at the Safety 1st Complete Air. It installs upright, so you should be able to get it behind your husband, or since it's narrow, you may be able to get one in the middle and one behind the passenger. It rear faces to 40 pounds and forward faces to 50 with 17.5" top slots. $180 each.

Second, I'd look at the Sunshine Kids Radians. These go from just shy of $200 to $300, depending on which model you get. I'd either go for the plain old 65 with a 40 pound rear facing limit, 65 pounds forward, 17.5" top slots, or the 80SL or XTSL with a 45 pound rear facing weight limit, 80 pound forward, and 17.5" top slots.

Third I'd look at the Graco My Ride, which is $160. It rear face to 40 pounds, forward faces to 65, and has 16" top slots.

The Learning Curve True Fit would be next at $150. it rear faces to 35 pounds and forward faces to 65 with 17.5" top slots.

Lastly I'd look at the Evenflo Triumph Advance, which rear faces to 35 pounds, forward faces to 50, and has 17.5" top slots. $140-$180.

HTH!

Wendy

Reactions: Mae

Jan06twinmom

The pp gave you some great recommendations. The Complete Air is on sale at Target for $140 this week. I think the Graco MyRide was $130 at Target too, but I would go with the Complete Air for the extra $10.

If you want to know more about why you want to keep your babies rear-facing for 3 or 4 years, check out www.joelsjourney.org. My very big DS only made it to 2.5 years rf in our 33lb rf limit seat. Unfortunately the 40lb seats weren't out when I needed them. My DD is much more petite and she made it to 4y 4m rf in her 33lb seat. They are twins too but with 20+lb weight difference and 7in height difference, people don't realize they are twins!

HTH

Melanie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC