HBB vs. NBB, DD1 wants your opinion.

AtTheSouthDam

DD1 wants to ride in the NBB. Stats: 6.5y (eek, too young!), 51" and 67# (wow!) with a HUGE torso.

So here is her in the Monterey, her only HBB at the moment. With the way she grows I have chosen to simply move this from car to car. It has one click left until it is at it's highest position.
BethHBB.jpg

And here she is in the NNB (aka the Monterey without the back.)
BethNBB.jpg

I actually like the lap belt better on this one but the lack of SIP scares me, especially being right next to the window.

I am thinking she should ride with the back on most of the time but is it terrible if I let her ride backless, especially when her friends are in the car? She is pretty tall child and sits perfectly in her seat.

ADS

DahliaRW

Do you have side curtain airbags? Her head is high enough that if you have them I'd be a tad more comfortable with the no back. But, in her case I would probably just tell her that when she outgrows the Monterrey in hbb mode she can go backless, and it's not up for discussion.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I actually DON'T like the lap-belt fit in the no-back pics. It is too far forward to provide good pelvic restraint.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
At 6.5 years old I would keep her in a high back, though the occasional ride without the back would be ok. As a general rule, though, backless boosters are for kids who have outgrown high backs. So until that one click is used and gone, I'd keep her in a high back.

Wendy

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I would not be comfortable with a 6.5yo in a backless as a primary seat unless there was no other choice (and even then I still wouldn't be *comfortable* with it, but ykwim).

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
A backless booster is acceptable but not best practice. Since you have the Monterey and she still fits in it, keep her in it. Tell her when she outgrows the back, she can go backless.

I would be ok with her riding backless in other people's vehicles. It would really not be my first choice but she is very tall for her age and likely has outgrown most hbb. Does she have a backless or do you remove the back from the Monterey. If you have a backless, use it in other's cars. If you are talking about removing the back of the Monterey and using it backless in other's cars, I wouldn't. If you have to move her main seat anyways, I'd just move the whole thing. Does that make any sense at all? :)

babyherder

High back booster until age 786 at least. Tell she's lucky she's not in my car! Seriously, she'll outgrow the high back in no time so I'd keep her in it until she does.

Kat_Momof3

I know how it is from having my oldest (who grew like your dd is growing, but his was more leg, so he didn't outgrow the Monterey till after he had already passed the 5-step test... which was when we bought it for his brother, as it hadn't been out before then)....

and I would not have her in a backless booster unless her Monterey does not work in that vehicle in the seating postion she has to sit in.

Now, when she outgrows the Monterey, I wouldn't dash out and spend more money to get every last inch of highback booster room if she's doing fine in her backless (especially when sleeping), but I would indeed keep her in a highback booster as long as you possibly can... for both the side protection, as well as just helping her remember to stay properly seated and buckled.

Now... what I'd do in regards of when to let her go backless on a spare ride situation... probably right when she moves to the last click of the Monterey... give her that time to master riding in the backless.

AtTheSouthDam

I actually DON'T like the lap-belt fit in the no-back pics. It is too far forward to provide good pelvic restraint.

Really? It seems before people were saying it looked like it road up on stomach with the back on. I think I need a better definition of lap belt fit then. Do I want it more like the first picture then? I think dress bunches up in a way that makes it look like it further from her hips than it is.

I do like her better in the HBB. She has a Harmony NBB that she rides in with Grandparents, mostly because it is light weight and my mom won't take it out of the car, she just tucks it somewhere. She doesn't ride in it very often.

I am hoping she'll make it to 8 in the HBB booster but I am not holding out much hope :(

Thank you everyone, she left the decision up to the Carseat Tech Gods and said she would listen to what you all said ('cause mommy said she would think about and decide what is safest. I just like her know her opinion will be heard ;) You can tell what she wants from the pictures!)

emandbri

I'd leave her in the high back as long as she fits. There is a post here somewhere with lots of crash test videos and the backless side impact ones are super scary!

She does not look 67 lbs! Are her bones made of lead! ;).

Also I shouldn't ask, because Elizabeth's closet is full, but where did you get that cute dress!

Last edited:

urchin_grey

Goodness, she's a foot and half taller than my 5yo. LOL Still, 6.5 is still so young. I wouldn't freak out about the occasional carpool ride or whatever, but for her primary seat, I'd keep the back on.

AtTheSouthDam

I'd leave her in the high back as long as she fits. There is a post here somewhere with lots of crash test videos and the backless side impact ones are super scary!

She does not look 67 lbs! Are her bones made of lead! ;).

Also I shouldn't ask because Elizabeth's closet is full but where did you get that cute dress!

I've seen those videos. Perhaps I just trying to get over the fear early since there is no way I can keep her in HBB until she is a tween.

I think they are. You pick her up and you'll feel every pound of it but she is not overweight, just very, very solid.

And the thrift store, it's a Bonnie Jean if that is any help (I've never heard of the brand). Anytime I see an age appropriate dress in a size 10 I grab it. The are far and few between.

AtTheSouthDam

Don't tempt me to make it 900. lol. These are the kinds of things I say to my bro but now that he's 13 its usually along the lines of him offering (knowing I won't let him) to drive the car.

And here I though may have forgotten a comma, like 7,8,9 at least. Not 789 but now that I look at it is a 6 huh?
Well, they'll need to make a MUCH taller high back booster then. She is taking after her mother who was 5'7" in the fifth grade.

emandbri

And the thrift store, it's a Bonnie Jean if that is any help (I've never heard of the brand). Anytime I see an age appropriate dress in a size 10 I grab it. The are far and few between.

Thanks! Elizabeth has some Bonnie Jean stuff that I bought from consignment sales but I don't know where it is sold either! :D

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
We carry Bonnie Jean at Burlington. They run under $15.

What about nb in the less used car?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC