Air travel in Canada

moxy

We're throwing around the idea of flying from Edmonton to Toronto this summer, instead of driving.
The kids we'll have with us are 7(in a booster) and 2(rf'ing in a radian) The plan is to use the radian on the plane..will it fit rf'ing? I worry that if I have to put it ff'ing my son will have a meltdown when it goes rf'ing in the car on the other end.
Also what do I do with the booster? I don't imagine we can use it on the plane since it's just a lap belt, but we'll need it in the car on the other end. What to do?

ADS

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I've recently flown with a Radian and a 2.5 yrs old. We decided to go ff on the plane just to eliminate worry of if it would fit rf or not. We've flown on some pretty dinkily small aircrafts and I didn't want to deal with rf a Radian and she was old/big enough to be ff.

I was also concerned if I would have an issue with our (wilful) dd when rf in the car but ff on the plane. I was prepared to tell her that on a plane we sat this way and in the car, we sat just like when we sat when we were at home. But she seemed to accept that rf in the car just like at home was the way it was. Just don't make a big deal about rf or ff and focus on what is the same as at home might be the way to go.

Just take the boot/rf foot on board with you as part of carryon luggage. You don't want to check it in as cargo and then having it lost or damaged.

ETA: And you can't use a booster on board an aircraft. What you can do is to have it tagged at the check-in counter and bring it through the airport as a gate-checked item which means you drop it off at the entrance of the aircraft. This is where people drop things off like strollers, wheel chairs, carseats that are not used on board or too large to fit in the overhead bin. The check-in agent might not allowed you to bring it through as a gate-checked item and might insist that it would be cargo-checked and dropped off at the oversize baggage area (for sport equipment and such). If this is the case, make sure they have a bag to put the booster seat in (don't want a dirty booster at the destination). I don't have nearly a big issue with checking a booster (if that's how it goes) as a harness carseat. Booster is mainly to position your child up so the vehicle seatbelt would be properly positioned across the body and works properly in a collision. And if you have a low-back booster, then I would just stuff it into one of your suitcases. Which booster seat is it?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
DD rode FF on the plane when she was a few months shy of 3. When we got off the plane she went into a taxi van RF. She didn't even notice it was different. There is so much to see on an airplane and while travelling, that the direction they're facing isn't even on their radar.

moxy

She's in a high back turbo booster. I'm thinking I'll just leave the back at home and bring just the seat portion. She's on the very last height adjustment as it is, so by July when we leave it's very likely she'll be too tall for the back.

I'm really hoping it's easy to just do ff'ing on the plane and then switch back to rf'ing in the car. he might not care, but he might really care lol. we'll see I guess

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC