3 across in Volvo XC90

P

pschuster

1. I wondered what people are using for 3 across in a Volvo XC90?

2. I have a 4 yr old in Marathon and a 3 yr old in Roundabout and baby # 3 due in 3 weeks that I want to put in a Snugride. Does anyone know if all 3 will fit?

3. Someone suggested that, if they don't all fit, I replace my Marathon with a Radian 65 or a Britax Parkway for my 4 yr old and then all 3 would fit--has anyone tried either of these combinations? Any views on the Parkway vs. the Radian re: safety and size?

4. Finally, someone also told me that it was unsafe to have a child on the Volvo integrated booster between 2 car seats--ie., she could be somehow crushed between the car seats with no side protection. Any views on this? and on the safety of the integrated booster vs. car seats in general?

Many thanks in advance.

ADS

tchanbaby

Hmm that is interesting. I am actually envious that my integrated boosters are in the outboard positions cause I would rather have my 7 year old that uses the integrated boosters in the center.

I have a V70; so I know it's not the same vehicle but I have 2 marathons (we have used them in all configurations..both ff, both rf, and one rf and ff). On a daily basis we have one rf, one ff, and one on an integrated booster. I do occasionally (when the weather is bad) make my 7 year old use the turbobooster. It is harder and I have to have her sit in the seat, move it towards the door, buckle her in and then push her back and then pull the belt tight....but it works.

I would try the putting the 3 seats in before moving the 4 year old to a booster. I bet you can fit the roundabout, marathon, and snugride back there.

Oh, I have also had a marathon, roundabout, and boulevard all installed. I think the marathon and roundabout were both rf'ing and the boulevard ff.

Hope my rambling helps you! hahaha

Megieblue

4. Finally, someone also told me that it was unsafe to have a child on the Volvo integrated booster between 2 car seats--ie., she could be somehow crushed between the car seats with no side protection. Any views on this? and on the safety of the integrated booster vs. car seats in general?.

Bump. Does anyone know the answer to this questions? I'm have the same issue.

minismom

Yes, I have the answers!!!!
Please don't use the integrated booster for your 4yo, not because she'd be crushed between the carseats, but becayse she really is too young for a backlessbooster.
You should be able to fit 3 across. I have the Roundabout for my dd in the center of my xc90. During my CPST class I installed a marathon right next to the RA on the driver's outboard position. And then I installed a Chicco Keyfit infantseat behind the passenger seat. The RA and the MA were rear facing. And of course the infant seat was RF too and it was at a 45 angle fir a newborn. Anyway, they all fit. If I needed that configuration for actual use I would have probably tried to put the RA behind the driver's seat and the MA in the middle since it's a bigger seat. But in any case, they do fit, so you should be able to get it all in there.
For reference, I had the RA with the seatbelt (since it was in the center), and the MA and the keyfit were in with latch.
Let me know if you need any extra help and I can try different configurations in my car. The important thing is that each seat is installed tightly independently of the others.

ETA: oh oh, just realized the original post is a year old.... If the pp was looking for info on the integrate booster I guess I have nothing to say,,,

taylorkristin

Loved your post.- thanks--so informative! So, are you saying I can put a car seat in the middle tiny seat of the XC90? I didn't realize that. I have my 18 mo old (28 lbs) & 3 yr old (30lbs) forward facing. Is that wrong?

Thanks so much!!! I love your detail.

U

Unregistered

WHat did you end up doing? I have the identical issue...Baby on the way and JUST realized I cant fit the three across! Have two safeguards which are tons narrower than our old RA's. Am so stressed... There is no reason this should not fit!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC