Top slots of Radian at 3??

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
My ds just turned 3 this weekend. I had to use his dad's car and put him in his Radian. It's currently on the 2nd to the top slots and he was a smidge over them. :eek: Once he settled, he was pretty dead even, but I'm still planning on moving them up to the top slots. I can't believe my 3yr old needs the top slots already. Sigh. There isn't another seat that I can use in that car, so he has better slow down!! LOL I know it could still last another couple of years, but still! It's a darn good thing he has a Frontier 85 as his main seat! We are going to need it!

ADS

emandbri

Don't panic yet. Benjamin was on the top slots at 3 and didn't go over them until 6 1/2. Kids this age tend to gain height in their legs and not torso.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Don't panic yet. Benjamin was on the top slots at 3 and didn't go over them until 6 1/2. Kids this age tend to gain height in their legs and not torso.

That would be awesome if he took that long to grow another 2" in torso!! I was just shocked to see my 3yr old already need the top slots. And then there is his twin (faternal) who could probably use the 2nd from the BOTTOM. LOL Talk about total opposites!!

kandamom

I turned ds2 ff at 34 months, and he is on the top slots. I'm not too concerned, though. If I remember correctly, ds1 had a good two years in his marathon after we switched to the top slots. I think the radian slots are even a little further apart. I will be surprised if ds2 is over the top slots before he turns five. I figure that if ds2 really is that big at five or close to five, I will be okay with letting him use ds1's parkway sg in the secondary vehicle.

For the record, ds1 has always been more 'leggy' than ds2, but not by all that much. DS1 is on the tall side. (need to update stats) We got the radian for ds2 when ds1 was 7.5. DS1 was right at the top slots in our living room, and maybe just a hair above when installed. Bottom line = don't worry!

solmama

My ds has been even with the 3rd slot of his Radian for 6 months, at least. He's grown quite a few inches since then, but it's all been in his legs. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I had to laugh because my daughter has been on the top slots since TWO when forward-facing. And she just turned 4, and is inching over the top slots. I betcha he'll last until booster age in it, at least for part-time use. 5 or 5 1/2 is my very conservative guess. ;) (Also remember that the Radian DOES allow use over the top slots as long as the child is under 53", and under the weight limit, though some kids are not comfortable at that point.)

scoutingbear

C has been on the top slots since 3.25 He was dead even (and has been) with the second to top slots, so we moved them up. I'm sure he'll last until at least age 5 in it though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC