stats please

pj2rc

Ok ---I know RF is better. But everything I am finding says there is a significant difference seen between age 1 and 2 in a reduction of injuries. And recommendations that say to keep them RF until the WEIGHT limits on the seat. I know it is common in Sweden to RF to 4-5. I know many of you RF way longer than age 2 and many of you have said that you would feel safe at age 3 changing your child to FF if they could no longer use the RF seat they had. ..... but I can't find any actual stats for RF past age 2 as far as the reduction in injuries. My daughter is about to turn 2, she is currently 27.5 lbs. Her seat allows RF to 30 lbs, and it expires end of this year. So ... there is some time -- but I need some stats to help me decide to buy another seat to RF longer, or if I should just buy good FF to booster combo instead. I have about convinced myself to buy a Radian, but I am teetering on the fence. thanks

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
There are no specific studies. The study you have read said that the benefits didn't decrease, they just didn't use anyone older than 23 months. But that isn't a definite, "You get X% more benefit to age four."

At three and 30 pounds, if it's in your budget, a rear facing seat would be fantastic. You could easily go from a Radian to something like a Turbobooster in several years and be done. Or you could do something like a Frontier and a $15 backless booster down the road for a bit more money overall.

Wendy

StillThankful

You were in the dillema I was in a few months ago. DD1 was 2.5, app 32-33#, and I had to FF her b/c she was in an older MA with the 33# limit. When she turned 3 y/o, I came back on this forum and voila--I found out that there were a lot more seats on the market in which I could turn her back around. Some advice I got, was to get the Radian XT and RF (since she was a big toddler, she could use the higher 45# Rf limit); another piece of advice was to not invest in another Rf seat at that point.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=102659

My ultimate decision was to purchase a higher Rfing seat. Partly because my parents were helping with the purchase. My parents ended up purchasing a Graco My Ride (rfs to 40#) and I purchased the Radian XT SL (rfs to 45#).

I guess, what I'm saying is that when she gets 3, then it's your personal decision. I, obviously, advocate Rfing as long as possible but I think some on here would tell you that it's fine to FF a 3 year old if she or he has maxed out of his/her rfing seat.

If I didn't have the money to purchase another Rfing seat, then I would have kept her FFing in her MA--and get my 95 odyssey retrofitted for the top tether anchor.

Mommy0608

Ok ---I know RF is better. But everything I am finding says there is a significant difference seen between age 1 and 2 in a reduction of injuries. And recommendations that say to keep them RF until the WEIGHT limits on the seat. I know it is common in Sweden to RF to 4-5. I know many of you RF way longer than age 2 and many of you have said that you would feel safe at age 3 changing your child to FF if they could no longer use the RF seat they had. ..... but I can't find any actual stats for RF past age 2 as far as the reduction in injuries. My daughter is about to turn 2, she is currently 27.5 lbs. Her seat allows RF to 30 lbs, and it expires end of this year. So ... there is some time -- but I need some stats to help me decide to buy another seat to RF longer, or if I should just buy good FF to booster combo instead. I have about convinced myself to buy a Radian, but I am teetering on the fence. thanks

(Bolding mine)

Looks like OP's child is only 1 year old (almost 2). With only 2.5lbs to go before the seat is outgrown, I would definitely purchase a seat with higher rear-facing limits to keep her rear-facing a little longer. It's not likely that a 30lb RF seat will last her until age 3. What seat is it? There aren't too many 30lb RF seats out there, and the ones I know of also have short shells. Where is her head in relation to the top of the seat? Does she still have at least 1" of hard shell above her head? If you're interested in buying a new seat to RF longer (which we'd all recommend, since you have to buy a new seat anyway), let us know what your budget is. A Radian, like you mentioned, would be a great choice. There are lots of seats out there that would keep her RF longer and also get her to (or at least close to) a safe booster age. :)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Oh true, Jenny. I read that as somehow as she was nearly three and 27.5 pounds. In which case I'd have more options. But at not yet two and 2.5 pounds to go, yes, I'd buy another rear facing seat, definitely and for sure.

The Comfortsport and Evenflo Tribute have 30 pound limits.

Wendy

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
And if it's a ComfortSport or a Tribute, it will be outgrown FFing long before a safe booster age/size. Another seat will be needed. A convertible would be a much more appropriate choice for a 1yo (or even a newly 2yo).

StillThankful

Oh true, Jenny. I read that as somehow as she was nearly three and 27.5 pounds. In which case I'd have more options. But at not yet two and 2.5 pounds to go, yes, I'd buy another rear facing seat, definitely and for sure.

The Comfortsport and Evenflo Tribute have 30 pound limits.

Wendy

Me too! I read it as nearly three. . .:eek:

amy&girls

I thought for sure my DD#3 would outgrow the EFTA buy rear-facing weight before I was ready for her too, she was 30# at 2. She made it to almost 3 (just a few months shy) before I turned her around, b/c she hit that 35# mark, and since I needed the seat for her baby sister, I just got her a Nautilus. DD#2 could still rear-face by weight, but not by height, she's too tall now (but she is almost 5!) So I guess it depends on the kid!

pj2rc

Thanks everyone. She will turn 2 in 3 wks. Her current seat is an Evenflo Titan w/ a 30 lb limit .... I think maybe the newer ones have 35 lb limits. This one expires end of this year. So even if she stays under 30lb, I have to change her seat first of the year, at 2.5. She still fits it well in height .. here's a pic (it's about 2 months ago). I thouht she would make it, untl I weighed her. But I wasn't convinced to buy a new RF for a 2.5 yr old. I do have seats already to move her to, but they are FF only & even though DD1 used them, after my readings on this site, I don't think I am crazy about them. dorel vetura/commuters. I know I won't use them as boosters, which is why DD1 got new Maestros. But I also can't afford 3 new seats. I really like the Radian because they don't seem as bulky a most of the other convertibles and easy to install. So if I et another RF, I plan to buy 1 Radian, eek out the titans as long as I can in DH and my mom's car. Then put the dorel's FF in their cars. But -- if taking a long trip in their cars for some reason, switch out the seat to use the Radian. ... I just hope the Radian will work in my sienna - have seen mixed reviews -- crossing my fingers.

pj2rc

Thanks chikabiddy .. I read some reviews on the Avenues, and it gets mixed reviews on installation and comfort. And with the sales on the Radians, I think 2 Avenues would still cost more, or about the same, than 1 radian. I'd rather have 1 easy to move seat that has the higher RF and FF weight limits. Plus he Avenue looks very bulky, not sure it would ft in DH's truck?

steph_s

Well you have another delema on your hands if I'm reading what you wrote correctly. The Maestro is an awesome seat, but you will still need to purchase another booster seat once the harness is outgrown. The head rest doesn't adjust up any further than what is needed for the harness height so when the harness is outgrown you will need a booster seat.

If I were in your shoes and money was an issue I would start looking into some other seats that perhaps aren't so pricey. Something like the Avenue, evenflo triumph advance, ect. for your younger dd and plan on passing that maestro down when your oldest outgrows it and getting her a dedicated booster seat. The Avenue often goes on sale for $40 so if you can hold off just a little bit weighing her daily to make sure she hasn't gained those last few pounds I would try to get it for that price. 5 extra lbs for rf with a child that age could easily mean 1-2 more years of use!

For the record, I like the Avenue more than your other seats you currently have. I even like it more than the Maestro! I use mine for travel, grandparents cars, it is a step up from a scenera with a bit more padding, shell height, and slightly easier to get a good install.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Thanks chikabiddy .. I read some reviews on the Avenues, and it gets mixed reviews on installation and comfort. And with the sales on the Radians, I think 2 Avenues would still cost more, or about the same, than 1 radian. I'd rather have 1 easy to move seat that has the higher RF and FF weight limits. Plus he Avenue looks very bulky, not sure it would ft in DH's truck?

The Radian is bigger with higher weight limits, yes. However, the Avenue, IME, is far easier to move and install, and both are pretty comfortable. I don't know where you're seeing reviews that the Radian is easy to install, but we have a successful Radian install thread here, not because it's an easy seat. ;-) No Avenue successful install thread. The Avenue will go pretty much anywhere. The Radian can be difficult or not fit.

The Radian has 17.5" top slots, the Avenue 16". So yes, the Radian will last longer, but it's not like comparing it to a Comfortsport or something. The Avenue will last most kids to 3-4 years rear facing and then 4-5 forward.

Wendy

emandbri

K-mart and some Sears have the avenue but no other stores sell it. I don't have one but I played with one and was very impressed with it!

Mommy2Marcus

I would deffinatly keep your DD RF past the 2 year mark. The studies that are out show that up to age 2 it is SO much safer. It is however still alot safer to continue to RF past age 2. Age 3 was my comfort age for my son to be FF full time. I made the decision when he turned 3 1/2 to turn him for good. He has been FF since & has rode RF 2-3 times he was turned. He enjoyed it & had no issues with it. So if at all possible, then I would try everything in my power to buy her a new seat as 2 to continue to RF her. Here are a couple of options other than what has been listed!

Another option might be to find a good deal on a Graco My Ride 65. It has a taller shell than the seats you currently own, a 40lb RF weight limit, cupholders, is easy to install & easy to use. My DS LOVED his, exspecially the cupholders. He is 3 1/2 & would still fit with room to grow. It was a great seat for us. Here is one at Wal-Mart for $115. Both a gender neutral pattern & a girly pattern.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-Convertible-Car-Seat-Edgemont/11016293

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-MyRIDE-65-Convertible-Car-Seat-Alma/11037459

Another option would be the Evenflo Triumph Advance (EFTA). My son is 3 1/2 & fits with about 1/2-1 inch to grow. He is pretty close to the weight limit though to. He rides FF now, but rode RF in the My Ride & EFTA untill about 2-3 months ago. I absolutly LOVE my EFTA. It is easy to install & can be found for around $100. It has a 35lb RF weight limit, almost as tall a shell as the My Ride, is easy to install & easy to use. Here are 2 for $105.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Evenflo-Triumph-Advance-Convertible-Car-Seat-Harbortown/10745680

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Evenflo-Triumph-Advance-Convertible-Car-Seat-Regent-Brown/10151272

The Avenue is a really nice seat as well. It has a taller shell & heigher RF weight limit than either of the seats you own right now. I really liked it from the small time I have looked at it & played with it. Deffinatly a good seat for someone on a tighter budget!

pj2rc

Re: stats please --- Fit help please!!!

Ok -- took DD2 out looking for seats ..... she is outgrown by height on almost all of them .. help! We Tried Avenue, Scenera, Titan Elite, Triumph (elite, deluxe?), My Ride, and I think Touriva? She is in a regular Titan now that is still fine for height, but has a 30 lb weight limit. I put her in the Elite, and she is at the very top of the shell ... what's that about? I think the only seats that fit were the Scenera- not b much - and the Triumph. Triumph was a great fit but still $140 at the store (haven't looked online yet). There was a Roundabout on clearance but it wasn't out of the box & was $140. I can't put all he pics here -- (I guess I don't have the right access to store more than 1 pic) .... but I loaded them on the below link (I thought I got pics on all, but I think ether Titan or Touriva are missing or mislabeled)

http://picasaweb.google.com/pjrn225/CarSeatTests?authkey=Gv1sRgCKCL7c7ksZ_pqgE#

Mom2FiveGirls

It looks like she's sitting on top of the infant insert in the my ride and one or two other ones. If so, try without the insert...it might make more different than you think. DD#4 has outgrown the scenera RFing both by height and weight, but still fits in the MyRide RFing (with 1/2-1 inch of room to grow). I think the Complete Air has an even taller shell as well.

And happy early birthday to her! DD#5 will be 3 on June 21 (so a little less than 3 weeks. If she were outgrowing the seat she was in right now, I'd be on the fence about buying another seat to RF her (I said RFing to 3 was my goal, but now that she's almost 3, I'm saying 4...thankfully, it looks like she'll make it to at least 4 in the seat she has now). If she were a year younger, I'd definitely buy a new seat to keep her RFing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC