Children on Plane belts only - crash tests/data?

Athena

I was surprised to read here at what young ages it seems to be okay to put a child in just the plane's lap belt. I was just discussing this with DH to see how he felt about this for our upcoming trip and the question of data came up. Do we have any data on this?

I'm assuming my will-be-just-barely 2 yo should be in a car seat on the plane and she will be anyway. From what I read about the AAP's recommendations, it sounds like she should at the least be in a seat and possibly still be RF, making me feel a little guilty about my plan to FF her on the plane.

But we are really unsure what to do about our older child who will almost-be or just-be 4 yo (visiting around her birthday). Before coming here, I had assumed she would need a seat like in the car. Then I was really getting excited about the idea of using a CARES and RSTV for the trip, because it sounds so much easier, but she has already exceeded the height limit of the CARES. This leaves us with the options of nothing on the plane and RSTV at destination OR taking a second car seat for her to use on the plane/in the car. What does the AAP recommend for kids this age? Are there any tests or data? This appears to be a subjective gray area for which people have different age cut offs. Some data would really help us decide.

Thanks! Sorry about having so many questions. I'm struggling with this decision. I cannot imagine my little girl riding in anything without a 5 point harness. :)

ADS

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC