CARES height limit - 40" max?

Athena

I've just read that this product has a 40" height limit --

on Amazon [ame="http://www.amazon.com/CARES-Child-Aviation-Restraint-System/dp/B0012E4FV8/ref=pd_bxgy_ba_text_b"]Amazon.com: CARES Child Aviation Restraint System: Baby[/ame]

And on another thread here http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=93394

However, I did not find any confirmation of this or any height limit listed on the company's site. http://www.kidsflysafe.com/

Does anyone know the current height limit? I'm guessing it probably is 40", but I thought I should ask.

Also, I assume they haven't taken the suggestion to add a crotch strap. Given how slim DD is, I am wondering how well it would hold her anyway. How do others feel about this modification to add a crotch strap yourself. I'm guessing it's not a good idea, but thought I'd ask. http://www.ehow.com/how_4905276_modify-restraint-system-toddlers-children.html

Finally, is it true that the passenger behind the child cannot use their tray. How do people react to that? I'm guessing not well. I suppose we could put DD2 behind her (assuming we can get the seats we want .. need to work out a few more details before we can buy tickets), but I had thought DD1 should go behind because she might be more likely to kick the seat in front of her.

I'm still in the stage of considering all our options for our upcoming trip. It is our first time flying with kids so quite overwhelming. Thank you for putting up with my many questions. :)

ADS

cerberusdog

I have two CARES.
The person behind the child can use their tray as long as you secure the harness with their tray down then once it is install, put their tray back up and it will work fine for both of you.

It is to be used on kids that are 22-44lb and height is 40 inches or less

I do not know about adding the extra strap, both my DDs are small and it was only a minor annoyance.

Athena

I have two CARES.
The person behind the child can use their tray as long as you secure the harness with their tray down then once it is install, put their tray back up and it will work fine for both of you.

It is to be used on kids that are 22-44lb and height is 40 inches or less

I do not know about adding the extra strap, both my DDs are small and it was only a minor annoyance.

Bummer. DD1 is over 40". She is tall for her age. I'm assuming we should not violate the limit. Plus she is long torsoed too so it might not even fit her. We have been seriously considering the RSTV for use at our destination, but I'm not sure I'll be comfortable with her in just a lap belt on the plane. The difficulties of having tall kids! :rolleyes:

Good to know about how to get around the tray issue anyway, in case we ever use one with DD2.

cerberusdog

I would not push the limits just because that is what the manual says and I just looked it up on their website and it is also stated under their FAQs.
We travel often and my 5yo DD is now 41 inches so we can no longer use it it for her either:(
The good news is that I have seen used ones selling on ebay for almost what I paied for mine new, so a good return on your investment! Also a couple sellers rent them, so you could look into that.

Athena

Now, with your help, I see where they list the 40" limit on their site. Thank you. My DD1 was already 40" at 3 yo. :(

aeormsby

We have a Cares that DD uses. She's about 38.5" and still has plenty of room to grow I think. This is a picture from a trip a couple months ago...
100_1058.JPG

Personally, as long as I can install it on the plane with the red strap above her shoulders I'll probably keep using it, at least until she hits 40lbs.

I don't worry about the crotch strap, she does pretty well in it without slipping down. A folded jacket behind her back seems to help her posture.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Just a word of caution: don't forget to secure the extra length of strap for installation :thumbsup:. I did and I caught the girl in the seat behind dd chewing on it--gross! :eek:

Athena

We have a Cares that DD uses. She's about 38.5" and still has plenty of room to grow I think.

Unless I am seeing things, it looks like she has a lot of growing room. Is that the strap up at ear level? So my DD might fit. :) Thanks for the tip about the jacket and showing the pic.

Just a word of caution: don't forget to secure the extra length of strap for installation :thumbsup:. I did and I caught the girl in the seat behind dd chewing on it--gross! :eek:

Yuck! Thanks for the tip!

aeormsby

It was up kind of high, DD is generally longer in the torso than legs, she's wearing a size 5 shirt in the pic. You're kind of limited to where you can place it depending on the seat tray on the other side of the seat. Since DD is only 36lb I have no problem using it for another year or two until we pass seats down for traveling (DD has a Safeguard Go, DS has the Uptown, it will probably be 1.5-2 years before DS outgrows the Uptown and/or DD starts using a booster).

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
To me, there is no reason to think that it's any different from using a harnessed car seat over the stated height "limit." It's almost all based on averages and percentiles and statistics, not real kids, and I rarely see a kid who outgrows a seat right at that point by strap height.

If you're okay with one I'd think you could be ok with the other. (I, personally, am okay with both.)

LuvMyCharlie

To me, there is no reason to think that it's any different from using a harnessed car seat over the stated height "limit." It's almost all based on averages and percentiles and statistics, not real kids, and I rarely see a kid who outgrows a seat right at that point by strap height.

If you're okay with one I'd think you could be ok with the other. (I, personally, am okay with both.)

But how do you know, until you've bought or rented one, and gotten it on the plane? I'm trying my darndest to figure out what to do with DS in December when we fly. I really don't want to be packing his Radian around by myself with him and DD and her seat. I'm planning to get a RSTV for him for the car, but was also planning on a CARES harness for the plane. Hmm...

Athena

Thanks. Makes sense to me. :)

But how do you know, until you've bought or rented one, and gotten it on the plane?

Good question. I was assuming that I would be able to tell by trying it on her ahead of time, but maybe not. Anyone know or have any tips on this?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you go to the CARES website you can I think find places that have it in-store; often they have a mockup seat you can try the kid in it on. Better than nothing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC