Options for air travel

U

Unregistered

Hello,
I am planning a trip with my 18. mo. old daughter where we fly to destination A, stay there awhile, drive 350 miles to destination B, stay there and then fly home from there. We plan to fly infant in arms. (Note: I realize that there are strong opinions about the safety of this, and completely respect those, but would rather save that for another thread. So for the purposes of this question, assume she will be in arms.) We have an almost new Britax Marathon, and don't want to replace it any time soon.

My question is, given these parameters, what is the best option for dealing with her car seat. It seems my options are:

1. Check it with baggage. In this case, how should I package it? We no longer have the original packaging. Do they sell special coverings?
2. Gate check it. In this case, how do I lug it through the airport? And, again, how do I package it?
3. Rent one. Where would I rent one? The one time I rented from the car rental company, it was a total piece of garbage. I know they have baby rental type places, but do they deliver to airports? And can I return to a different locale?

Is there an option I haven't thought of?

Thanks! I have received great advice from you guys in the past, and appreciate your insight.

Cheers,
Jessie

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you have someone to meet you or are flying with someone else, my preferred option would be option 4: one of you stays with the baby at the airport while the other goes out and gets a seat once there for use on the trip (a $40-50 Cosco Scenera will do, and is probably cheaper than renting-- it tends to be $9-11 a day.) Or if being met, have the person meeting you buy a Scenera for you and have it with them.

I most definitely do NOT recommend you rent a seat with an unknown history. If you must check a seat I recommend it be in a sturdy box, but it's hard to find a non-original box to fit a Marathon. Perhaps get a Scenera or Avenue for the trip and a box to check them in? (Big Lots where I am actually has Sceneras, models with more padding even than the "normal" ones, that come in boxes right now-- they usually don't. If you can't find one in a box, U-Haul sells a double-walled Dish Barrel box that fits a Scenera or Avenue perfectly and is very sturdy and protective.) But again, I'd rather you just buy one there...

If you need a box for your Marathon, which is probably choice 3 in my opinion, you can post a request on Craigslist asking if someone has a Marathon box they're willing to let you come pick up. But remember that there's no guarantee it won't still be damaged or lost, many airlines won't let you gate-check it in the box (though you can usually check a child car seat in the original box), and if it is damaged some airlines won't even do anything to help you replace it, as they basically disclaim all responsibility for damaged and lost luggage and cargo.

Maedze

If you will not purchase a seat for your child, the safest option is to have someone meet you at your destination with a new purchased seat. Rental seats are not safe, and neither is checking a child restraint.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the suggestions! It looks like running out to buy one might be our best bet. Any suggestions for what I do with the seat when we return? Donate it the rental car company?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you have a friend in the area, you can give it to them. Or have them give it to a women's shelter, they're always in need of safe seats. Leave it at the rental car company, sure, it's not your problem what they do with it after that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC