Shipping US seats to NZ?

mommyof3tx

Are there any online stores that you can order directly? Or would they have to be shipped to someone in the US and then they ship them over?

A friend of mine is thinking about ordering US seats. The ones in NZ (some appear to be just like ours) are incredibly expensive and she can't afford it. Her kids are in seats now that they "shouldn't" be in and they are also 2nd hand. She would love to be able to rear face her 1yr old and put her 3yr old back in a harness. She knows it's not legal, but thinks she still wants to do it. I've looked on a few sites but I haven't found any where they could be shipped directly. We were trying to get a shipping quote so she could see if she could afford to do it.

Any clue how much it would cost if she had them shipped to me and then ship them over?

I was thinking a True Fit or a MyRide might be good for her 1yr old...she wants something on the cheaper side but a pretty good seat that will last him. And a nautilus for her 3yr old. Any other suggestions? Anything she should be worried about with trying to install a US seat in her car there?

ADS

finn

She can get a Scenera from here for $185 with free shipping, that would allow her to rf her 1 year old, its legal here.

http://www.winkalotts.co.nz/Car_Sea...osco_Scenera_Car_Seat_-_Stone-New_Colour.html

How big is her 3 year old?

I have found that it costs about $100 US to ship car seats from the US, which makes them expensive. I found a seller on ebay that was willing to ship here.

There is a company importing Radians, they sell for $400 nz I think, or it might be $450, that would keep her 3 year old harnessed for a while.

mommyof3tx

Thank you I showed her that one, she said she is going to see if she can scrape the money together to get one. She is most concerned about her daughter being in a booster, she's 3yrs and 7.5mo, weighs 35lbs and is 41in.

Here are pics of her 1yr old in his current seat. I'm used to US rules that would be at or above for the shoulder straps, she thinks it's different there...just want to double check
18742_290274648311_664088311_4619089_6573247_n.jpg

24196_431506773311_664088311_5418611_1644219_n.jpg

Seems so crazy to me how short that seat is, looks like the bottom is longer than the top...like his leg support goes out more than the back goes up.

This is the best she has of her 3yr old
18742_290272293311_664088311_4619087_3902814_n.jpg

18742_290274668311_664088311_4619090_5265786_n.jpg

I have permission to post the pics :)

finn

Thank you I showed her that one, she said she is going to see if she can scrape the money together to get one. She is most concerned about her daughter being in a booster, she's 3yrs and 7.5mo, weighs 35lbs and is 41in.

Here are pics of her 1yr old in his current seat. I'm used to US rules that would be at or above for the shoulder straps, she thinks it's different there...just want to double check

Seems so crazy to me how short that seat is, looks like the bottom is longer than the top...like his leg support goes out more than the back goes up.

I have permission to post the pics :)

It is at or above ff here, so he needs to be in the next set of slots, also that seat does have a top tether but doesn't look tethered, it is one of the smallest most over-priced seat on the market here.

Her daughter is less than 18kg (40 lbs) so she could still be in a harness, there are lost of cheaper ones that are safe, they install nicely and turn into a booster with belt guides for a better fit because that booster that she is in is teribble :( These actually turn into a pretty tall booster.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Baby-gear/Car-seats/Booster-seats/auction-293325448.htm

If it were me I would be buying the cheap harnessed seat for dd so that she is safe, I know her little one should be rear facing but imho he is safer than her daughter.

mommyof3tx

Ok thanks, by the looks of the way the belt fit her daughter I thought so too. I'll show her that seat. I'll ask her about it being tethered. When I was asking here where to look at car seats there just because I was curious what was available to them she wasn't even sure where to buy them so she probably had no clue that was a really over priced seat, I think she said she got it for like 250NZ on sale

finn

Ok thanks, by the looks of the way the belt fit her daughter I thought so too. I'll show her that seat. I'll ask her about it being tethered. When I was asking here where to look at car seats there just because I was curious what was available to them she wasn't even sure where to buy them so she probably had no clue that was a really over priced seat, I think she said she got it for like 250NZ on sale

250!!! Is outrageous for that seat, they are so small!! She could also try contacting her local plunket, they rent out seats, as do baby on the move.

mommyof3tx

Thanks I'll let her know that too. She's seeing right now if her daughters father and his mom can each go in 50 for that seat you showed me, she really likes it, so hopefully they can get that. She said she didn't realize how unsafe her daughter was in the seat and now doesn't want to take her out anywhere until she can get a new one

finn

I really hope that she does get some help buying a new seat for her daughter. The other thing she can do is adjust the black toggle/clip on her daughters booster, basically you put the seat belt through it and shorter the webbing attached to the toggle, that should pull the seat belt away from her daughters neck a bit.

In the 2nd photo you can see the belt through it, if she makes the black cord shorter it should make the belt fit better & she should take the extra padding of the seat belt.

mommyof3tx

Ok I'll let her know that too

You were right the top tether wasn't done but she has fixed that now and moved his straps up :) Thanks so much for your help!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC