Another KF 30 infant insert

tl01

DS2 has already outgrown the infant insert. At 3 weeks he is over 11 pounds.
I really prefer how he fits in the seat with the insert... Especially since he has such bad reflux. He seems more scrunched up without the insert and that is less comfortable for him. Does anyone know why 11 lbs is the cut off for the insert? If your baby was more comfy with it in would you consider using it?
6f6261d0.jpg

I can post a pic with the insert if that helps.

ADS

canadiangie

Whenever a company comes out with such an odd rule (and really anytime a company has rules LOL) I tend to follow them. So with that in mind, no, I would not use the insert past 11lbs. I would however tuck rolled receiving blankets along his sides for extra support *after* the harness is secured and tight.

I suspect having the extra padding behind the baby after 11lbs creates a compressibility issue.. Insert compresses too much in a crash and suddenly what seems like a tight harness isn't.

tl01

What I like about the insert is how it keeps his chest out a bit more which helps with not squishing his belly. I might move the headrest down again to see if that helps but then I have to move the harness down. Right now he's even with the 2nd slot but when you put him in he is clearly
above the slot.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I agree. It's possible that rolled towels either side might help keep him from slumping too, keep him lined up "straighter."

Pixels

Are his hips firmly back in the back of the seat? If you put your hands on either side of his diaper area, can you feel a gap between his bum and the seat? If he has slouched forward (and it looks to me like he has, though looks can be deceiving) that will cause his spine to curve and aggravate his reflux. You can put a rolled small towel or washcloth between his crotch and the crotch strap to help hold him back. That's the only time you put something between baby and the harness.

fyrfightermomma

My refluxer was horrible and cramped and screamed every day in the car. We also took out the infant insert around 2 weeks (he was 11 lbs by then)

He continued to scream until we got rid of the headrest. Honestly. It truly pushes their head forward alot. He fit alot better and wasn't as scrunched and stopped screaming once it was gone.

Worth a shot!

melniemi

Did I read/hear that Chicco changed the insert rule? I thought there was something about no weight limit if on the bottom slots? Or maybe I was dreaming? lol:p

tl01

I was hoping the rule was one of those arbitrary ones like the Dorel 40" rule. DS2 is so happy in the seat with the insert. Oh well!

FFM, what sized clothes was your son wearing around 3 weeks?

Jennifer mom to my 7

Okay, ds is a month old here... I apparently took the headrest out:confused: Or I was just checking.... but I think I removed the headrest, as I think he was really close to the top slot;)

Vinnykeyfit1.jpg

Spam

Try it without the headrest. I remember on 19 kids and counting, they took out the headrest for Josie because it was pushing her head forward.

fyrfightermomma

;)
I was hoping the rule was one of those arbitrary ones like the Dorel 40" rule. DS2 is so happy in the seat with the insert. Oh well!

FFM, what sized clothes was your son wearing around 3 weeks?

hehe, he looked alot like your son. He was in 3-6 month at three weeks. He wore 0-3 for a week or two. Now at 3 months he wears 12 month! And he's just about outgrown the KF. :( he has about 1" of shell to go. Im kinda freaking out about what to do!

crunchierthanthou

Here's some info on the insert that may be helpful. It's from the Chicco chat -

skipspin: Re: the KeyFit infant insert: I had a parent write in a post earlier this week that she didn't like the way her baby fit in the KF harness at 12 lbs. after she took the infant insert out. She felt the lap belts were too high on the abdomen and the crotch strap was too far away, leaving space for the baby to slouch. I recommended a wash cloth between the baby and the crotch strap. (Sorry for the long background!) Why must the insert be removed at 11 lbs.? Can it be used for longer as long as the harness fits securely?

JRobbins: No the insert may not be used longer. It is only certified to 11lbs, based on crash testing. I will try to post a chart of dummies used in 213 and when they are required. This may be helpful in understanding the limitations of testing, certification, etc.

BuckleUp: Does the Chicco KeyFit have the same lower wt. limit of 4# with or without the infant insert?

JRobbins: Yes

BuckleUp: It's apparent the Chicco infant insert does not address the gap between the buckle and the infant? So how do you address this situation when it comes up? Do you recommend a washcloth?

JRobbins: With most babies the insert does address this gap. If it doesn't, a washcloth used properly as outlined in the curriculum and AAP guidelines would be okay.

not really addressing a solution for your issue, but a bit of clarification.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC