RF infant seat in backseat of Chevy extended cab?

beebear23

Senior Community Member
I want a Chevy Silverado 1500 w/a full size backseat(4doors), but dh wants one of the smaller extended cabs b/c they are cheaper. He says we'll keep it for a couple of years and then buy a bigger 4-wheel drive one..

These are the two we are looking at(well, not these exact trucks, but these models.lol) http://www.autoblog.com/media/2006/08/x07ms_mb003b.jpg

He wants the extended cab, I want the 4-doors. I'm sure a RF infant seat would fit outboard in the 4-door one, but I doubt it will in the extended cab one. I don't want to put an infant seat in the center b/c of the window. unless I can find one w/an anti-rebound bar, but I have my heart set on the Key Fit.

Anyway, does anyone know if it'll fit? We're not expecting right now:)( ), but hope to be trying in the next few months.

ADS

beebear23

Senior Community Member
Yes, I believe the smaller one has headrests outboard only... I guess I'll have to borrow someones infant seat one day and try it out...

skipspin

We had an 03 extended cab when DD was born till this past November. (03-06)
We always had DD's infant seat in the center lap belt and it fit great. It will fit behind the passenger seat, but depending on how tall you are will depend on if you like it. It definately doesn't make the passenger seat so close to the airbag that I feel it's dangerous or anything. We had a 20 lb Snugride. DH isn't big (5'7") but he drove comfortably with my friend's infant seat behind him when I was babysitting. There's more room than it looks like.

Now we have a 05 GMC 4 door crew cab. We upgraded to get a diesel and long bed, and I told DH wile we were at it I'd like the crew because it has two sets of LATCH and a shoulderbelt in the center as well. There is more room in the back (6 inches or so?) and seats are more comfortable for adults since they are "full" seats and not so much a bench.

We take the truck on most long road trips since we have the camper and/or tow the Jeep and it's REALLY comfy- that's what we took when we drove to MO when I was 36 weeks pg.

Let me know if you have anymore questions. I don't have a LOT of photos in the Ext cab, but I have had the RN, WZ, and Chase in there.

beebear23

Senior Community Member
I'm sure it will fit in the center in the lap-belt, but I don't want it there. Unless I can get one that has an anti-rebound bar.

I have some friends at MOPS that have infant seats(or I can pick up a cheap expired one somehwere just for the heck of it.. lol) and try it out..

I really want the Chevy 1500 w/a 4 full size doors. We'll have to see..

skipspin

I can take photos of my Combi or Snugride in the 4 door if you want. I am totally sure that it will fit anywhere back there even with the seat back quite a bit. There's a ton of room back there. I mean, I'm sure a RFing RN would fit with no problem.

You could also get three across with a Husky, although you could probably do that with the ext. cab too. My main reason for wanting the crew was the three shoulderbelts, two LATCH spots, and more "real" TAs. The TAs are a pain until you get used to them, but they are better than the loop ones on the ext cab, IMO.

Oh, and just curious: Why would you only use an anti-rebound infant seat in the middle, but you don't care so much outboard?

lynsgirl

Janice, I bought Jodi's Companion from her and we're done using it at this point. It does only have a Feb04 DOM, but if you end up needing an anti-rebound seat...lmk. I don't mind passing it on :). I had my heart set on a KF, too, but oh well, didn't get one. ((Hugs)) and check your messages here. I PMed you a few days back :).

lynsgirl

Oh, and just curious: Why would you only use an anti-rebound infant seat in the middle, but you don't care so much outboard?

I think because there's no headrest in the center, which is a concern of mine, as well, with trucks. With no headrest, a seat w/out an anti-rebound feature will be rebounding right into the glass. I kept Nik OB in our F350 Crew Cab (also a long bed diesel - aren't those fun? LOL) when he was RF in the Touriva/Horizen.

skipspin

I guess I was just thinking that with the headrests down it's only a few inches difference in the Ext cab. I do think the seatbacks are a little higher in the 4 door than the extended in the center seat. There's no "headrest" but the seat is much taller IIRC.

Or, you could just use a tethered convertible ;-)

lynsgirl

Yep, tethered convertible ;). W/Nik, I had the headrest up a bit, but it was regular sized. In my dad's truck (ext cab w/the little ones), I had it up, too. How are you feeling? EDD is soon, right? Hope you're doing well! nak

skipspin

Feeling good but ready. LOL. Thanks for asking.

This baby will be ouboard and most likely in a Connection since DD is already in the center. I could always use the Snugride, but since I like the way the Connection installs without the base and the base will be in my vehicle I will probably just use it that way. When we drive the truck to VA in July I'm not sure what I'll do. Maybe infant seat, maybe convertible. Hmmm, I'll have to wait and see.

Sorry Janice. I'll stop stealing your thread now.

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
Janice the 1500 4 door is the same frame/interior as an Avalanche/Suburban...I got tons of combos in my Avalanche, and tons of combos in my Suburban.

As for the 1500 ext. cab, my friends had one...they used a 20lb Snugride rear-center for DD and a Scenera FF for DS, but they sold the truck when DD went FF so I'm not sure whatelse would work back there.

beebear23

Senior Community Member
Yes, b/c there is no head-rest in the middle.. I don't know if I would could do a convertible at the begining. If we have a baby in the next 2 yrs., we would just use the convertibles we have, which are a RA, MA and WZ(yes, for 1 kid).. The MA and I believe the RA expires in a year or 2. The WZ I'm not sure.
I'd just prefer to have an infant seat in the begining, even if I didn't use it out of the truck very often.. The truck would most likely be my main vehicle.

Amy, I did read it, but wasn't in the state of mind to reply at the time and then I forgot about it.. I'm sorry.. I'll reply soon.. :) Thank you very much. Oh, and I would love the Companion.. I've been playing w/it at Target and it's not too bad. Hmm, I could even put the baby outboard b/c of the SIP and C can go in the center in his WZ and I won't have to hear him scream that he can't see anything(he hates being outboard b/c he can't see.).

Mel, I'm not sure if it is the same frame or not. I think dh wants to buy one after we get our taxes done(whenever that is.. we have to wait for BIL to get his done first.. UGH.. We've never waited this long). I'm sure I can convince him to get a 4-door though. :)

racesmom

Senior Community Member
Are you sure an infant seat would rebound into the glass? My friend has both (truck, GMC I think, and infant seat, 20 lb SR). A tech friend and I checked it and it didn't look like the seat would rebound into the glass. I do have her put the handle down an extra click. Once her son moves to a convertible I did recommend one that tethers RF.

beeman

You're currently using a late 90's ford standard cab, right? If you pull the passenger seat up there should be room, either way (extended cab or quad cab) (don't quote me on that: try it before you buy it). If the passenger air bag shut off is available, you could always do that if the seat gets to close.

KHarrington

CPS Technician
We have a 2003 Chevy Silverado with an extended cab and we love it. We've had DD in the center rear position since birth and I've had no complaints. She started in a snugride and is now in a triumph.

At one point we did have her snugride in the outboard position - it didn't last long as it was incredibly inconvinient and we felt safer to have her in the center.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
We had an '99 GMC Sierra when our oldest was born and she was in a Graco Snugride in the center lapbelt only position. No issues at all and I would still recommend this position to any parent.

We have a '02 (got it in '01) Chevy Silverado 2500HD crew cab (4door) and it doesn't have a center headrest and just a lap belt only in this position. Even as a tech I still installed my youngest Snugride in this position when she was little.

I can say the Britax Companion is a great seat and has the anti rebound bar if that is a big concern to you. My 2 favorite seats are the Companion and KeyFit so with either you will be happy no matter what.

beebear23

Senior Community Member
Well, dh decided to get the 4-door.. I think. We can't get buy a truck until we do our taxes and we can't do our taxes until the IL's do(long story, don't ask). SO......

But, I have a while before I need to pick an infant seat since I'm not even pg(I'm one of the rare few in my large town that is not.. I swear every freaking woman on earth is!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC