First time flying with kids - Which Seats? Help Please!

Athena

We are planning to fly this summer for the first time with our two kids.
DD1 will be 4 yo and should be approx about 42" and 35 pounds
DD2 will be 2 yo and approx. 35.5" and about 26 pounds, RF in the car, but okay with FF in plane

We currently own three seats - MA, Advocate, and GN. It sounds unpleasant enough to lug the MA through the airport and I cannot imagine taking one of the heavier/bulkier seats on top of that and wondering if they would even fit in the seat, so I am looking at possibly purchasing at least one seat for the trip.

How do I know a seat will fit/install in our coach plane seats? What options have others found that install well and fit on the plane and also install well in most rental cars?

Thank you so much for your help with this! I am feeling overwhelmed.

Last edited:
ADS

christi2705

We've always flown with MA's and this past trip we took an MA and a Frontier 85. Both installed easily on the plane (use a seat belt extender) and into our economy car. We stack the seats on our sit and stand when walking through the airport.

aeormsby

I would consider getting a Scenera for your younger, or a Maestro for your older (or a travel vest but probably only if you'll be traveling more) or both.

If you have one lighter seat I think it would be easier, but it's doable with what you have also. Have you reserved your seats already? It might be easiest with your bigger seats to get window & center 2 rows in front of each other. I'm sure we've put our Marathon & Uptown next to each other on the plane before, armrests just need to be up. We flew a couple months ago with my 4yo & 2yo (they're about the same size as your kids, and we too let DS FF in the plane so they can watch a movie together.) We have a Safeguard GO for DD at this point so she uses a Cares harness on the plane. But we have flown with both our Marathons plenty of times, I strap it to a luggage cart in the airport or put it in a rolling carseat bag, You could probably strap both seats to a cart, or one in a stroller if your taking one, my kids ride in the carseat/cart thru the airport. On the plane recline the plane's seat when you are installing it, flip the female buckle 180 degrees and don't tighten it all the way, when you pull the seat back to upright it will snug it up.

Maedze

If you want them both in seats on the plane, most economical is a Scenera and a Maestro. If you want to skip the seat on the plane for the 4 year old, I'd get her an RSTV.

Athena

Thank you all for your replies. It is good to hear about the success with the Marathon because I would prefer to avoid buying two seats.

I don't think the travel vests would work for DD1 because we would still need a seat at our destination. We have been offered loaners, but by someone who does not own the seats and knows nothing about car seats and I'm not comfortable with that situation.

I do really like the idea of something lighter like the Scenera, but I'm a little nervous about the lack of EPS/EPP foam. Am I the only one who feels that way? Also, is it really, really easy to install and installs well in most cars on the spot without extras like pool noodles? And if we went the other way and got a Maestro for DD1, is that smaller/lighter than the GN and really easy to install in most cars and planes? I haven't seen one of those IRL. Although cost is a factor, I'm far more concerned about usability (as in easy to install and use correctly in rental cars and planes). I'm very nervous about the whole trip and would rather spend an extra $100 than have a miserable time.

Has anyone flown with a GN? Am I correct about it being too big/heavy to work well?

We haven't actually bought our tickets yet, but I appreciate the ideas about the relative seats/positions that might work. Are some airlines better to fly when you are bringing car seats than others? Reading the United thread about RF seats got me wondering this. Also, I was planning to just take our Mac Quest stroller so I don't think a seat would fit on it. I had thought it would be a pain to take a larger stroller, but maybe that's better if I could strap a seat on it .. but only if I could strap the kid in too? Is it obvious I've never done this? :( I've traveled a lot, just not with kids.

Thanks!

Maedze

The RSTV is designed for use in cars, not planes. You would use the plane seatbelt for the 4 year old on the plane, and the RSTV in the car at the destination. Because it's a vest, you can tuck it in your carry-on bag.

The GN is not too big to work.

My oldest rode in a Scenera, rear facing, for two years as his secondary seat (his primary seat at the time was a Britax Wizard). No, the lack of EPS foam really didn't concern me.

Athena

The RSTV is designed for use in cars, not planes. You would use the plane seatbelt for the 4 year old on the plane, and the RSTV in the car at the destination. Because it's a vest, you can tuck it in your carry-on bag.

Oh. I'm not familiar with the product at all. What are the downsides of it? That sounds so much easier, but it also sounds scary to not have her in a seat at just four or even just in the lap belt on the plane. The dates we are looking at would be a couple days before her birthday or just after so she will be almost or barely four.

Have I become too convinced about car seats being good? I find it so confusing when I read that kids are fine on buses without car seats or on planes. I understand stats, but somehow it feels weird to me after being taught car seats are good!!!, if that makes sense.

Maedze

Well, the downsides are that it isn't approved for aircraft use, so she would either be in a lap belt on the plane, or you could beg/borrow/steal a CARES harness for the flight.

Also, because it's a vest, you must make sure the vehicle seatback comes to at least the tops of your child's ears.

I would prefer to see a child under 40 pounds in a CRS or Cares harness for a flight, but at the same time, the thought of a 4 year old in a lap belt alone doesn't give me the vapors.

Athena

I was just realizing that the vest doesn't provide side impact protection or protection around her hips and she may have to sit outboard.

So if I am understanding correctly, it would probably be safer to bring a car seat? Although it isn't terrible at her age not to use a seat on the plane and to use the vest in the car, if it is too hard to bring one, it is probably safer to bring a car seat for the plane and car? I would imagine this is more true for a trip like ours during which we will need the car to get places on the trip, not just to get to our destination from the airport.

Am I getting this right? Because if it is safer, I would rather bring a seat, even though it will be a PITA.

Thank you for all the info!

Maedze

I think the difference in 'safety' at least for the car is relative. The vest tests like a five point harness and has excellent head excursion numbers. It doesn't have a shell and it wouldn't be my choice for a full time CRS, but it's a great option for travel.

As a parent, I would be perfectly comfortable doing that. In fact, the next time we fly I WILL be doing that for my two Bigs.

vonfirmath

We haven't actually bought our tickets yet, but I appreciate the ideas about the relative seats/positions that might work. Are some airlines better to fly when you are bringing car seats than others? Reading the United thread about RF seats got me wondering this. Also, I was planning to just take our Mac Quest stroller so I don't think a seat would fit on it. I had thought it would be a pain to take a larger stroller, but maybe that's better if I could strap a seat on it .. but only if I could strap the kid in too? Is it obvious I've never done this? :( I've traveled a lot, just not with kids.

I suspect the Marathon will fit just fine in your Mac Quest. I bungee-corded my Roundabout50 (basically the same seat) onto a Chicco umbrella stroller and it worked fine.

I'd be hesitant to do it with a $20 umbrella, but I'm guessing it would work for anything more.

Athena

I think the difference in 'safety' at least for the car is relative. The vest tests like a five point harness and has excellent head excursion numbers. It doesn't have a shell and it wouldn't be my choice for a full time CRS, but it's a great option for travel.

As a parent, I would be perfectly comfortable doing that. In fact, the next time we fly I WILL be doing that for my two Bigs.

Thanks for the data. I'll discuss it with DH and weigh the convenience and costs. They don't have CARES harnesses available on flights, right? Based on what I read here, they didn't, but that thread i found was old.

I suspect the Marathon will fit just fine in your Mac Quest. I bungee-corded my Roundabout50 (basically the same seat) onto a Chicco umbrella stroller and it worked fine.

I'd be hesitant to do it with a $20 umbrella, but I'm guessing it would work for anything more.

That's good news. Thanks. I'm not sure it would be secure enough to put a child in it, but it might be easier to stroll the car seat and let both children walk .. or even carry DD2 instead of carrying the car seat.

Thank you for all the assistance figuring this out.

Athena

we would still need a seat at our destination. We have been offered loaners, but by someone who does not own the seats and knows nothing about car seats and I'm not comfortable with that situation.

I'm correct about this, right? I should not accept a loaner seat? I could probably contact the person loaning the seat and ask them questions about it, but I feel like it would come off as being ungrateful and rude and how do I know they would tell me the full truth because they may not even know if they loan out their seats, right? Based on everything I've read here, I don't think this is really an option, but I'd feel better knowing what you all think. Thanks!

Athena

I guess I'm a little too late responding to this message, BUT, as a 30 year veteran supervisor of Passenger sevice for one of our largest airline, I agree with Maedze
Both Kids will fly safely CARES.

http://www.kidsflysafe.com/

Thank you.

Unfortunately, I've discovered that DD1 exceeds the height limit. :(

And I wasn't considering it for DD2 because, even if we use an RSTV instead of a seat for DD1 at our destination, we would still need to bring a car seat for DD2. She will be just barely 2 and is ERF in the car. ;)

But thank you. It sounds like a nice product and very convenient. Maybe they'll come out with a larger one for those of us with tall kids. Or maybe there isn't enough of a demand since most people don't even put their babies in anything. :eek:

If you have any tips, as someone in the know, for traveling with a car seat or with kids, I'd be very interested. Thank you!

Athena

Also, because it's a vest, you must make sure the vehicle seatback comes to at least the tops of your child's ears.

I was just reading over the posts again about the RSTV because DH and I were talking about it. It is very tempting. ;)

Does anyone know if newer cars all have tall enough seat backs for a young child (approx. 42" tall w/long torso) to use the RSTV safely, even in the middle position. It seems like these days all vehicles have head rests in the back rows, at least that I've seen.

Of course we still have the problem of her being too tall for the CARES and my not being thrilled with putting her in the seatbelt only on the plane. :( She's so petite to ride in just a belt .. very tall, but petite in every other way.

silcarry

The main thing in air travel is to keep it simple.
Basically you have to keep in mind that the type of restrain needed in airplanes are different than those used in a car, from the standpoint that the type of protection needed for the airplane is mostly for the possible momentum of take of and landing, turbulence, or emergency landings. In the unthinkable event of a airplane "crash", it's unimaginable that a car seat would help ( I don't like to think about that)

The emphasis on the seat restrain is really important also for smaller children in airplanes because, many parents think they can very well hold their small toddlers (up to age 2) and they will be safe while the parents save the money from a "paid seat"...(children under 2 fly free).
Unfortunately, on impacts such as emergency landing and turbulence, or even take off and landing, the parent is not strong enough to hold the baby due to the momentum involved.

In the airplane you don't worry too much the type of impact you risk in a car accident (side impact, you name it...) So, all this simplifies the issue.

Most prime car rental companies have car seats that they keep up to par (for fear of lawsuits?), you might want to check that.

My daughter has two kids ages 5 and almost 3. They use the CARES system for the almost 3 and my granddaughter , who is 5 uses the airplane restrain which apparently suffices, because she can't slide down and it will keep her in her secure in her seat.

Like I said, keep it simple, because air travel is becoming very stressful this days and you want to make it fun.

Last edited:

chay

I travel quite a bit and often alone with my 2 and 2 car seats. I have a folding luggage cart that I strap both MAs onto (the top one upside down and the 2 seating areas together if that makes sense). My youngest is on my back in a MT, carry on backpack on my front, one hand for DS's hand (he also has a little carry on backpack on his back) and the other hand for the cart with the car seats.

The challenging part is taking it apart and putting it back together at security while corralling kids (although I'm pretty fast now with all my practice) and carrying the 2 seats on the plane since the cart doesn't fit down the isle but I've always found a sympathetic stranger or flight attendant to help out.

pastrygirl

We bought an RSTV for travel this summer. My son is tall with a long torso, and so far our cars have been plenty tall for him -- his head is well below the seat back with or without a headrest.

Athena

I travel quite a bit and often alone with my 2 and 2 car seats. I have a folding luggage cart that I strap both MAs onto (the top one upside down and the 2 seating areas together if that makes sense).

Yes, that makes sense and a great idea. Thanks for the tips. I'm impressed you do this alone. From the looks of your birth months, my kids are very close in age to yours and DH will be with us and I am still really worried about it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC