Canine Vehicle Restraint Harnesses

MyLittleTyke

Senior Community Member
Can anyone recommend a dog restraint harness for use in a van? We are going to be traveling with our dogs a lot in the future, and I want to somehow restrain them in our van. A cage is not a logical option for us. Do these work and are they really safe?

Thanks,
Sara

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi Sara. I don't know how this would hold up in a crash, but it's what we do with our dog. We just use a standard harness and tie the leash around the head rest. We once had a specialized doggie seat belt that we bought at Petsmart, but the tether was so long on it that my dog was all over the place on turns (we tie the leash just long enough so that she can lay down, otherwise she'll fall off the seat).

Heather

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Here's a post I wrote in response to a similar question on another site. I hope it helps.

AFAIK, there is no "best practice" where transporting dogs is concerned. ;) I've seen quite a few different types of doggy seatbelts advertised in Dog World and Dog Fancy, and here is what I can tell you based on that.

Are there doggie seatbelt?

Yes. They usually consist of a body harness of some sort that attaches to the vehicle via the seatbelt. I have seen one that claims to use the LATCH anchors instead.

Do they work with lap only and lap/shoulder belts?

Good question. The ads usually (always?) show the device attaches with a lap/shoulder belt, but that *could* be because outboard positions photograph better.

How much to they cost?

There seems to be a wide price range, from $20 to over $50. I don't remember off the top of my head for sure, though. I'll see if I can dig up a couple of websites.

Where do you buy them?

Try your local pet store. I've seen them on PetSmart.com. Also, most manufacturers have their own websites from which you could order.

Are they considered safe?

I would not expect one to save my dog's life in a crash. Looking at the design and having seen crash test videos for child seats, it just doesn't seem likely. I do, however, consider it a safety device. 1) It keeps the dog restrained while the vehicle is moving, which means the dog isn't going to be jumping out an open window (or door when you get to your destination) or moving around inside the vehicle, which could distract the driver. 2) It keeps the dog from becoming a projectile in a crash. 3) If your dog becomes injured in a crash, it keeps him restrained, so (hopefully) he cannot further injure himself or injure a person in his distressed state.

Here are some links*:
Ruff Rider's Roadie LX Vehicle Restraint ($80)
Ruff Rider site ($40-$75) - they make other models, not just the one above
Travelin' Dog Car Harness by Comfort Ride ($25)
Muttslinger ($40-$60)
Hold-A-Dog Seatbelt Harness ($27.95-$50.95)
PetBuckle has LATCH option ($40-$52)
SURVIVOR Big Dog Seat Belt System ($55)

The Ruff Rider looks the "best" to me. They even provide a locking clip! :D Seriously, though, some of those seem extremely flimsy. I really don't see a .5" nylon strap holding a 40 lb dog in a crash, and I doubt some of those buckles were made to withstand the several hundred pounds of force that are exerted during a crash, either. The Ruff Rider *seems* to be the best thought out and the most heavy-duty.

*These links are provided as a reference. Neither I nor this site endorse or recommend any of these products. Please do your own research before purchasing or using any such restraint in your vehicle or on your pet.

MyLittleTyke

Senior Community Member
Thanks

Thanks, ladies, for your replies. I don't expect one of these harnesses to save the lives on my dogs. Honestly, I don't think there is anything out there that would save their lives in a crash - even a cage. My main concern is keeping them from becoming a projectile in the event of a crash. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC