Harness Booster Combo - Canada

U

Unregistered

Hi...my daughter is 3 years old and getting very close to the max weight restriction for her harness (40lbs). I've been looking for a seat that will allow me to continue using the harness beyond 40lbs and then switch to a booster when she is ready. I've been seaching in our local Walmart and even on sears.ca but I've been unable to find a seat that allows harnessing beyond 40 lbs. My daughter is also tall and will soon be too tall for the slots in her car seat. Is anyone aware of what seats would be suitable and where can I find them on the east coast of Canada.

Thank you,

Nancy

ADS

bbartlettnfld

Hi I'm from Newfoundland which is very east Coast!

Any of the Graco cargo's harness to 48lbs and then become a booster, thought the booster mode isn't very good. Just make sure you find one with a front adjuster I think the Treasured Cargo still adjusts from the back which is just terrible I think. The Evenflo generations/bolero harnesses to 47lbs and then becomes a fairly good booster. The Eddie bauer/Safety 1st/Cosco Apex (geez I can't remember the canadian name! As long as it is something Apex) harnesses to 48lbs then becomes a fairly good booster. All of these are available at Sears.

Or you could go with a dedicated harness like the Sunshine kids radian (available at CDN Tire) or a Britax Marathon both harness to 48lbs and then you can move DD to a booster only, once your dd is 48lbs.

I hope this helps. In Canada you are only going to find a seat that will harness to 47/48lbs as that is the highest Transport Canada allows, until the rules change hopefully sometime in the near future.

Mommy090804

Just to confuse you more, the Evenflo Bolero (very similar to the Generations) is available at WalMart for $120. It is probably your best buy for an Evenflo combo seat.

We picked the Graco Ultra Cargo, which harnesses to 48lbs and has high 17" top slots. It was a personal preference, because I liked the harness adjuster better than on the Bolero (button vs. knob). I am not sure where you would find the Ultra Cargo. We purchased ours on the West Coast:

http://www.tjskids.com/cart.asp?whi...rand=0&expand=categories&pagesize=5&item=3316

They do have the Platinum Cargo at Sears (as PP linked), but I wasn't too crazy about the colour, and certainly leary of the DOM. My Cargo that I just purchased was manufactured Jan2007. HTH and doesn't confuse you too much!

ETA: Oh, and it depends on your reasoning. If you want to keep DD harnessed as long as possible, then the Radian is your best best, but you'll have to buy a Parkway or Turbobooster later. If this is the last seat you want to buy, then honestly the Generations or Bolero (and the Apex if you have high headrests) are your best choices - they all make great boosters, but she'll outgrow the harness sooner since the top slots are 16.5" vs the Radian's 18" top slots. So it really comes down to how long you want to keep DD harnessed...

Last edited:

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I just wanted to let you know the Graco Cargo's have a higher top harness slot and harness to 48lbs but don't make the best booster seat.

Same with the Evenflo Chase, it harness' to 47lbs but isn't a great booster.

The Evenflo Bolero/Generations harness' to 47lbs and does make a decent booster.

The Apex harness' to 48lbs and also makes a decent booster, but with this seat you MUST have headrests in your vehicle for head support. The Apex can be found at Sears (in store they have the actual Apex) for around $179 (if you watch for baby days you can get a better deal)

If you are just wanting a seat that you can harness higher longer and doesn't convert to a booster then you could try the Radian (at Canadian Tire) and then get a dedicated booster when the time comes.

Rumors have it that Transport Canada is going to increase the highest harnessed seats to include up to 65lbs. In the US the Apex and Radian both harness to 65lbs so I am guessing that with the weight increase in Canada the Apex and Radian will also go to 65lbs.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC