question about carseats and rain

ADS

Sceason1972

I would give them a thorough cleaning - wash the covers and make sure everything is dried. The harness may need replacing as it's not supposed to be soaked. I would also make sure not metal parts are starting to rust as a result of the soaking.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yep. You probably need to replace the harness and other straps. If the LATCH straps got soaked I would not use them to install at this point, and if they're used forward-facing and the top tether strap is not replaceable (some are some are not) I would replace the whole seat, because the tether strap might be damaged.

You should also, as well as rust, check for mold and mildew.

In the future, be aware that car seats should be stored indoors, in a place free of extreme heat and cold if possible, and away from rodents and insects.

Thanks, I know that you are not suppose to store carseats in extreme heat and cold and not outside but my mom isn't big into carseats and I was trying to tell her that she should replace the straps.

Dillipop

I'd call the manufacturer(s) of the seats and see if they recommend replacing the straps because of rain. Getting soaked with water versus soaking in cleansers/agitation in the washer, etc is a bit different. Water itself should not ruin the straps. However, I would call the manufacturer and do what they tell you to do. If they say replace, then I'd replace.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I have to disagree. Getting pounded by rain is something that weakens the straps on the wagon, etc. that I store outside, even after one big storm. Add in the possibility of mold etc. eating away at the straps... I'd not want to take that risk. :twocents:

Reactions: Mae

amy&girls

I definitely replace the straps, especially b/c of what the previous poster said about the wagon straps. I've seen that on our baby swing straps.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC