Pics of 5 year old DS in Monterey

teacher01

I took my son to try the Monterey last night, and took some pics. His stats are 41 lbs and 43". How does the fit look? He loved it and said it was very comfortable.

Last edited:
ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
The shoulder belt looks good, but the lap belt looks a touch high to me. I think it's acceptable, but I'd prefer to see it lower. I'm not sure it's dangerous, though.

That's odd to me because the Monterey usually does great with the lap belt, and it's the shoulder belt that's not in the right place.

I'm not always the best at judging booster fit so hopefully those who are better will come along and give their input as well. (I do well in person, but I'm still working on perfecting my picture-judging skills.)

kandamom

I am curious to see what people have to say about this, since DS1's shoulder belt fit without a back in dh's recently purchased vehicle is very similar to what is shown in picture #3. We just bought him a new parkway for that vehicle, since I knew we could get a better shoulder belt fit.

With all of the other booster options available, I don't know that the Monterey would be my choice for your ds. I am really impressed with the fit of the parkway sg! It also fits ds2 (2.5) very well, weight aside. (I told ds2 he can have it when he is 5.) DS1 loves his Monterey, but he was 7.5 when we bought it. In my opinion, he 'just' fit the shoulders at the time.

Did you have him try any other boosters?

Best of luck!

Last edited:

teacher01

He has a TB that we bought as a back up, and to use for training. We also tried to pro booster, but he did not like it. He said that it was not comfortable and that it felt like his TB. He really likes the Monterey, and I like that it can be latched, as well as the sturdy feel of it.

I do want to make sure that the fit is ok though!!

ginny4

i DON'T like the shoudler belt fit at all. it is awefully close to the edge & he has TONS of wiggle room. way too much chance of coming out of the belt. personally i'd use a different seat

FWIW: my DD fit like that at 5.5 yo with similar stats & now at 6yo (6m later with major growth spurt) she fits a millions times better.

the lap belt is good.

kandamom

I must have been typing when Carrie R posted. I thought the lapbelt looked just a hair on the high side as well, but I can't tell for sure from the picture.

To me, the fit looks like it is probably within the acceptable range. That being said, I would not be comfortable with the shoulder belt, if he were my child. I think you can find a better fit. How does the turbo booster fit compare?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I would consider that acceptable, but not good. I would prefer to see the child in a different seat (or wait a year or so if you want the Monterey).

crunchierthanthou

The shoulder belt looks good, but the lap belt looks a touch high to me. I think it's acceptable, but I'd prefer to see it lower. I'm not sure it's dangerous, though.

That's odd to me because the Monterey usually does great with the lap belt, and it's the shoulder belt that's not in the right place.

see, and I think the shoulder belt looked wide (too close to the edge of his shoulder). I was okay with the lap fit, though. :shrug-shoulders:

It fit my son like that around age 4.5. I tried him in a friend's last month and it fit great (almost 5.5).

Jennifer mom to my 7

see, and I think the shoulder belt looked wide (too close to the edge of his shoulder). I was okay with the lap fit, though. :shrug-shoulders:

It fit my son like that around age 4.5. I tried him in a friend's last month and it fit great (almost 5.5).

I might not have been clear. I also think the lap belt looks good, it is the shoulder belt that seems too close to the edge of his shoulder:)

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Thanks, ladies. The pics aren't there anymore for me to go back and reference, I wish they were. I tend to do better judging booster fit in person, which is why I made sure to put a disclaimer on it. Since I can't go back and re-judge my answer, I will defer to all of you :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC