help again please? 98 Subaru Legacy

pj2rc

My kids VERY occassionally ride in my friends Legacy. She refuses to drive anyone else's car, so I need to put the seats in her car when she takes them. As far as I can tell, I need to use the locking plates .... but please correct me if I'm wrong, because they are such a PITA. I've been using the outboard shoulder seat belts. I did look at the middle seat today which is lap belt only -- but I don't think it locks itself (like DH's Silverado -- diff post), but it is different looking. .... and I'm not sure my seats would fit next to each other (Maestro & Titan - RF). I tried to take a pic of the lap belt, but it didn't come out very clear w/ my camera phone, and for some reason it's not emailing to me .. if I get it, I will try post back w/ a pic). My kids loving going w/ her, she's like another gram, but the seats ar such a pain put in her car. If there is an easier way, I'd like to know! thanks

ADS

skaterbabs

Her seatbelts probably lock at the retractor, except for the lap belt. That means you gently pull them out all the way and allow them to retract. The lap belt will be a locking latchplate.

jjordan

I have a '97 Legacy station wagon and it's like Rebekah said. The lap/shoulder belts lock by pulling them out all the way and then allowing them to retract as far as you need, and the lapbelt in the center has a locking latchplate. My buckle stalks are kind of long, so depending on the seat, the install might be a little tricky.

gigi

I had a 96 Legacy and LOVED it for installing seats. If you twist the female end of the belt up to 3x, you should be able to put most seats in the center REALLY easily (you buckle the belt tightly then unbuckle, twist the belt stalks a few times and then sit on the seat and wiggle the belt into the buckle). I also was able to put many, many seats outboard with seatbelts really super easily (RF or FF). The belt locks at the retractor, as noted above, and you just kneel on the seat and wiggle until it is tight.

pj2rc

I'm confused on the outboards .. I thought if they didn't "ratchet" back --they weren't locking --- the switchable? the male end on he shoulder beds slides loose along the belt, nothing locks there. I've read about the locking latch plates on the center seats on other posts which is what made me look again, but I couldn't figure ou how to lock it? I'm sorry to sound so dumb, I just really want to get it right. Thanks for your help

pj2rc

I did some searching to see if I could find pics of what you were talking about .. didn't find what I was looking for -- but found this ...
http://www.carseatsite.com/lockingclips.htm

I think her center lap belt is the sewn on latchplate -- I was going to tell y but couldn't figure out how to describe.... the center male has a loop sewn back to a few inches behind it and there is a plastic clip there, but nothing seems to lock to anything. I couldn't find any pics, but I am sure that is her center belt. So, I don't think I can use that seat since the above link says to get a belt extender and have a CPST show me how to use it .... not worth it in this case. I still don't think her outboard seats lock. Maybe she told me the wrong year on her car? I can't find pics anywhere of a sewn in latchplate, but that it hasto be it - that's exactly how I would describe it.

skaterbabs

That would be highly unlikely as cars have been required by law to having locking seatbelts since 1996. If you can post pictures, I'm sure we can verify the situation.

gigi

The center belt definitely locks. It is more or less like an airplane seat belt. You pull it as tight as needed and it stays where you pulled it to. You don't have to switch anything or change anything, it just stays. It works fine. I had car seats installed in that position for 3 years and nothing ever got loose...not even one time. My son climbed in and out of his seat himself for about half that time and still nothing loosened up. It was the most rock solid and easiest install you'll ever have (with a Snugride 22, a Diplomat, and a Boulevard - with a lower seat you might do better outboard, but that is easy too). Just remember to twist the belt stalk as many as 3x to shorten it as is appropriate to the height of your seat.

pj2rc

I just recently realized (diff post - lol) that DH's center lap belt has the locking retractor in the male end. Her's isn't the same. it is a loose sliding male w/ no lock on it, but it can only slide back a few inches (4"?) before the strap is stiched. attached to the strap, separate from the male end but w/in the stiched loop, is another plastic clasp that seems to have no purpose. It's not a tail or anything to pull on for adjustment. The shoulder belts are what I usually use to install and they are not switchable retractors tt ratchet back. The male end also is loose sliding w/ no built in retractor on it. The lock would have to be back at the frame of the car somewhere if there is one.

I will get pics next time I see her and post back. thanks

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC