Vehicle Recommendations

Open Arms

I am researching vehicles as we need a bigger one. We will need seating for seven with four of those seats being for rear facing toddler/infants. We are looking at fairly inexpensive used vehicles just to keep us going for the next year or two until we can afford something nicer; however, we do not want to compromise on safety. I currently own 2 True fits, a Britax Roundabout, and a Graco Snug Ride Infant Seat. Does anyone have suggestions on what year/types of vehicles I should be looking at to best accomodate carseats and adults safely? I found some deals on a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan and a 2001 Chrysler Town & Country. Are there any years/vans that I should stay away from? Any information will be helpful. Thank you!!

Kate

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
You're going to have a tough time fitting 3-across in the 3rd row of either of those vans, though I do believe it's possible with certain seats. Does the 5th child ride in a booster or just the seat belt? That might make it do-able.

Check out the Kia Sedona, later than the '06, with the 60/40 split 3rd row seat. They might be out of your price-range, I'm not sure, but I do know they're quite friendly for 3-across.

Open Arms

Thanks for your reply! I hadn't thought about the Sedona--I'll look into that. We have my 90 year old grandmother living with us so in addition to finding a vehicle for 4 RF carseats we need something she can get in and out of. I tried the Town and Country which did not work for carseats or grandma, but we're going to try out a bunch of vehicles this weekend to see what our options are. I am currently looking into a 2000 Odessy and a 2001 Grand Caravan AWD. Does anyone have experience with these vehicles? Thanks!

Kate

1stTimeDad

My sister has an 01 odyssey with 178k miles on it and it runs like a dream. She kept it up nicely though even when her DDs were young. Hondas were built to last like that. From what I've heard on this forum most everyone who has one LOVES it. I found a number of Odys for under $5k on cars.com. Good luck.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC