Evenflo big kid booster

amy&girls

So I was looking at the owners manual of the evenflo big kid booster my mom had for my oldest in her car (she brought it back b/c tomorrow is her last day of school and its no longer needed), and it says it can be used for kids (with a back)
1. 30-100lbs
2. under 57 inches
3. over 1yr

REALLY over 1yr? If I could figure out how to post a picture of it, I will. She's had the seat for a few years, so I'm really hoping they've changed the manual by now. I can only imagine someone deciding to put their one year old in a booster seat b/c they meet the 3 requirements. (I know my nephew is close, he's like 28lbs) Me, I prefer my 1yr old to be rear-facing, and she'll stay that way till I decide she's ready to turn around... :)

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
actually, many boosters have 1 yr old as the minimum requirement. Basically just because that's whn you can legally FF in most states. IT's sad, but that's what they say.

MomToEliEm

Unfortunately, the manual still has that wording. There are several seats with 1 year minimums and some seats with no stated age limit.

Cosco Pronto - at least 1 year, 30-100lb, 34-57" as high back, 40-100lb, 43-57" as no back
Eddie Bauer Autobooster - at least 1 year, 30-100lb, 34-57" as high back, 40-100lb, 43-57" as no back
Evenflo Big Kid - at least one year, 30-100lb as high back, 40-100lb as no back, under 57"
Jane Indy - 1.5 years and up, 30-80lbs
Cosco Apex - at least 1 year, 40-100lbs, 43-57"
Cosco High Back - at least 1 year, 40-80lbs, 43-52"
Eddie Bauer Delux High Back - at least 1 year, 40-100lbs, 43-52"
Safety 1st Summit - at least 1 year, 40-100lbs, 43-52"
Safety 1st Vantage - at least 1 year, 40-100lbs, 43-52"

pj2rc

why isn't the law nationwide for harnesses to age 4, and therefore the boosters no longer stating they can be used for under 4? RF to 1 is the law nationwide, isn't it? I know we would like longer, but that would be a start.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
why isn't the law nationwide for harnesses to age 4, and therefore the boosters no longer stating they can be used for under 4? RF to 1 is the law nationwide, isn't it? I know we would like longer, but that would be a start.

No, most states do not have a 1 and 20 law. Many have a proper use clause, and most carseats do not allow rear facing under a year (the only exception I can think of is the Comfortsport, which does not state one year minimum). Therefore it is kind of 1 and 20/22/23, but it's not written into the law that way.

What if mom has no money and can afford at birth a Scenera for $45. That works until baby is 40 pounds at 3 years old. Are you going to force her to buy a HWH seat for a year? Then buy a booster? Sucks, but that's probably what the politicians, IF boosters and carseats are on their radars, are thinking.

Wendy

daycaremom2002

No, most states do not have a 1 and 20 law. Many have a proper use clause, and most carseats do not allow rear facing under a year (the only exception I can think of is the Comfortsport, which does not state one year minimum). Therefore it is kind of 1 and 20/22/23, but it's not written into the law that way.

You meant forward facing, right? :)

wvmommy007

I wish car seat companies, by law, had to make every infant and convertible seat rear face to a higher weight limit. That would be a start. Then at least the people who buy the cheapest possible seat at their child's birth would have the option of rear facing longer, even if extended rear facing never becomes required by law. Personally though, I wish the term "extended rear facing" was just "rear facing" and people didn't think only overprotective freaks would do that to a child. I hate hearing "But what if her legs get broken...?" Ugh

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I couldn't find the age on the backless Big Kid Amp booster, it just starts at 40lbs, but the manual may say age 1. The backless Cosco Ambassador is 30lbs and 34" and age 1 as bare minimums :(

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I wish car seat companies, by law, had to make every infant and convertible seat rear face to a higher weight limit. That would be a start. Then at least the people who buy the cheapest possible seat at their child's birth would have the option of rear facing longer, even if extended rear facing never becomes required by law. Personally though, I wish the term "extended rear facing" was just "rear facing" and people didn't think only overprotective freaks would do that to a child. I hate hearing "But what if her legs get broken...?" Ugh

I'm content with most convertible seats RFing to at least 35#. I would actively fight making 22# infant seats illegal.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician

They already do, by law, rearface to a higher limit. A couple years ago, many infant seats (and even convertibles! my 12 yo only had the choice of a 20lb RF convertible, that wasn't THAT long ago, lol) only went to 26" and 20lbs, based on the 9 month old crash dummy. Now they go to 22 and 29 as a legal bare minimum based on the 1 yo crash dummy. Most are higher, of course :) And convertible seats are plenty big to easily get kids to age 2 or older, which is the best evidence we have for protection for kids being rearfacing, mostly in side impact crashes (even babies 1 yo are quite safe in frontal crashes, cars and carseats have been engineered for that very well). It's just a matter of public perception at this point, we have to just advocate for better seat labels and more educated pediatricians and store employees to give out 'best practice' information. (it's better than it used to be, trust me, way, way better :thumbsup:)
Hang out with us here, join the cause...educating one parent at a time does seem to be working :)

amy&girls

I cringe when I think of people out there strapping their one year old into a seatbelt, b/c they meet the weight/age requirement on the seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC