Has anyone ever flown with the Graco MyRide 65?

nmilok

We have a cross-country airplane adventure coming up, and I'm wondering if anyone has experienced any problems, etc. using the MyRide aboard an aircraft. Did it fit on the plane seat? Luckily we will have an entire row for the three of us, so if I have to be squashed, then I don't mind. We've only flown with the infant bucket seat before, so it seems a little daunting. The manual says that it has to be installed FF on an airplane, which bums me out a little bit. I've never done a FF install, so I'm going to have to read up on it.

An aside note, we've been using the MyRide with the Travelmate to travel to and from our car share (we don't own a car and live in a big city), and it is *wonderful*! I hope that it will come in handy at the airport.

ADS

MomToEliEm

I did some searching on the boards and didn't find a whole lot but did find this one post where someone was able to install it forward facing:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=1255472

I checked the Graco MyRide manual:
http://download.gracobaby.com/ProductInstructionManuals/PD117812A.pdf
and it states
Aircraft Use

This child restraint is certified for use on aircraft (see label on child restraint). Contact airline about their policy.

Use this child restraint only on forward-facing aircraft seats.

Install child restraint on an aircraft the same way it is installed in a vehicle when using a vehicle seat belt.

From the above statement, you can install the MyRide either rearfacing or forward facing, but only on airplane seats that are facing forward. If the aircraft seat is facing backwards or sideways, then the seat cannot be used. You should be fine on a commercial aircraft as most seats face forward.

The MyRide might be pretty big for travel and some people might not be comfortable carrying it around in the airport. You look like you have a good system setup though for transporting the seat around so you might be fine. Make sure you book your airplane seat in a row with moveable armrests as you will probably have to raise them up to install the seat.

Before your trip, you might want to print off these two FAA noticies and regulations as they mention that airlines should allow you to install your seat rearfacing if you wish. Hopefully you won't run into any issues on your trip, but it is nice to have documentation in hand in case you run into a flight attendant who insists you cannot use your seat or you must use it forward facing. Also, make sure to have your carseat manual handy which indicates the seat is aircraft certified.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/60d70126cf679d5a8625723b007841e7/$FILE/AC%20120-87A.pdf

http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/airline_operators/airline_safety/info/all_infos/media/2009/info09002.pdf

aeormsby

No experience with the Myride, but I often install our kids' seats FF on the plane even if they are still RF in the car. Especially if it's a tight fit. Often they need to be so upright to fit RF it's not very comfy for LO (although it is nice to have them facing you and have the extra shoulder room).

Basically, I don't worry too much safety wise if I need to FF them on the plane.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My line is 2. I will install a seat FF for a 2 year old who is RF in the car, but under 2 I will not FF even on a plane. I have several reasons for this, one of which is comfort, one of which is safety, and two of which are convenience. :)

Athena

An aside note, we've been using the MyRide with the Travelmate to travel to and from our car share (we don't own a car and live in a big city), and it is *wonderful*! I hope that it will come in handy at the airport.

That looks really cool. Wish I could afford it for our trip!

My line is 2. I will install a seat FF for a 2 year old who is RF in the car, but under 2 I will not FF even on a plane. I have several reasons for this, one of which is comfort, one of which is safety, and two of which are convenience. :)

Good to know. That is what I was planning to do, FF our 2 yo (will be 2 by then) on the plane, even though she will still be RF in the car. This helps me feel better about that. Thanks.

U

Unregistered

I realize that this is an old thread, but I thought I should add this note for the benefit of others who might search and find this thread.

We had a significant problem with flyinhg with the My Ride 65. When we pulled the aircraft seat strap, the aircraft buckle moved into a very tight slot inside the MyRide. This prevented the action of pulling the aircraft buckle lever up and away from the buckle to disconnect the two halves of the aircraft seat belt. It was not possible to loosen the seat otherwise, either. At the end of the flight, it was impossible for us to disconnect the MyRide from the aircraft seat.

The flight attendants at first did not believe what I was telling them, but once we started delaying their turnover of the plane, they tried, but also could not disconnect the buckle. Finally the flight attendants brougfht over the one and only attendant who knew how to disconnect the airplane seat from its frame in order to disconnect the aircraft seat belt at its attachment point to the aircraft seat frame.

My advice: don't use the Graco My Ride 65 on a plane.

TrishaChristine

Just for anybody else who may search this in the future, I successfully flew with a Graco MyRide 65 rear facing on a plane, no issues! The seat had to sit a bit more upright than preferred if the person in front of it wanted to put their seat back, but otherwise it worked wonderfully. Had no seat belt issues either.

tadc

We have a cross-country airplane adventure coming up, and I'm wondering if anyone has experienced any problems, etc. using the MyRide aboard an aircraft. Did it fit on the plane seat? Luckily we will have an entire row for the three of us, so if I have to be squashed, then I don't mind. We've only flown with the infant bucket seat before, so it seems a little daunting. The manual says that it has to be installed FF on an airplane, which bums me out a little bit. I've never done a FF install, so I'm going to have to read up on it.

Sorry to resurrect the thread for my dumb question but... what do you do with the travelmate once you're on the plane? Does it stay attached or do you stow it?

Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC