Question parents of older kids: how do you maintain booster resolve

DD's (8YO, one is 50.8 lbs other is about 58 lbs., in an original Parkway and AirBooster in my car) know it's a given that they ride in boosters when they're in my car, DH's car, grandma's car, etc. and it doesn't seem to bother them (Although DD1 my aspie sometimes wonders aloud if she'll "be in a booster forever"). BUt do I just need to get used to other parents looking at me like I have 3 heads when I send DDs on a playdate, carpool, or field trip with a booster or ask if I should send one (DD2 even told me that another parent "sounded sort of disgusted" by my always sending a booster for her:mad:)? I'm not planning on changing my determination to booster them until they pass the 5-step test, but it's still wearying to be in the booster minority.
So, give me a booster-mom pep talk, please!

ADS

christineka

My kids are the only ones riding in boosters. I think the other parents have just accepted that I'm a weirdo and my kids have to ride in boosters. I have allowed backless boosters for the 8 and 10 year olds in other cars and that helps.

MomToEliEm

I have an 8 year old and so far, just keep sending the booster to be used and try not to give them a chance to question it. I am sure there will be a time when someone will tell me it isn't necessary. If asked, I will just state that she isn't 4'9" yet and that is the recommended height for non-booster use (though we may still use a booster after that limit, we will just have to see at that time). When I send the booster for a playdate, I usually just send the backless booster.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yUl4dCK1GA&feature=related"]YouTube- Adult belt is not enough[/ame]

That won't be my kid.

That's all I need to see to make me want to booster my kids.

Wendy

babyherder

Be glad when other people ask. Gives you a chance to explain (briefly) why boosters are so much safer. I generally say something along the lines of "boosters help position the lap belt properly so its across the child's hips in case of a crash. Without the booster the lap belt would be one the child's tummy and would squish her internal organs in a crash." Or my newest line "Arm rests on boosters are false hips for kids that haven't developed yet. Its great for kids until they hit puberty and start to develop their own hips." This seems to take people by surprise and they listen.

Be glad when other people ask. Gives you a chance to explain (briefly) why boosters are so much safer. I generally say something along the lines of "boosters help position the lap belt properly so its across the child's hips in case of a crash. Without the booster the lap belt would be one the child's tummy and would squish her internal organs in a crash." Or my newest line "Arm rests on boosters are false hips for kids that haven't developed yet. Its great for kids until they hit puberty and start to develop their own hips." This seems to take people by surprise and they listen.
I wish I had more parents respond by listening, but most of the time the parents who question it kind of dismiss what I'm saying (and I *do* try my best to be well-mannered about what I say, which is usually something like "the seat belt doesn't fit my kid properly w/o the booster - the lap portion is too high and the shoulder belt rubs against her neck; she's more comfortable with a booster too"), maybe b/c they have a sort of 'invincibility bubble' mindset b/c our homes and schools are in a quiet 'burb that rarely has any car accidents, or maybe b/c they know that if *my* kids are safer boostered, they probably should be boostering *their* kids and for some reason or other they don't want to go there :shrug-shoulders:.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I've actually shown the scary crash test videos (not just the ones with dummys too) to my 2 kiddos in boosters. That is enough to scare them so they want to be in their boosters. If I send my 8yo on a playdate or something, I let him take the backless (or take the back off his Turbo). He does still ride in the highback in my car though.
My kids know how important it is to be in the booster and what requirements they have to meet to get out of one. They are the first to critisize their friends for NOT being in boosters or being in backless boosters too soon. I guess I've taught them well. :D

babyherder

I wish I had more parents respond by listening, but most of the time the parents who question it kind of dismiss what I'm saying (and I *do* try my best to be well-mannered about what I say, which is usually something like "the seat belt doesn't fit my kid properly w/o the booster - the lap portion is too high and the shoulder belt rubs against her neck; she's more comfortable with a booster too"), maybe b/c they have a sort of 'invincibility bubble' mindset b/c our homes and schools are in a quiet 'burb that rarely has any car accidents, or maybe b/c they know that if *my* kids are safer boostered, they probably should be boostering *their* kids and for some reason or other they don't want to go there :shrug-shoulders:.

At that point I would probably be rude and tell them if they aren't going to listen to the question that asked you the least they can do is stop asking! Grrr. Hate when people do that.

skaterbabs

"Because I prefer my child not have abdominal injuries - the lap belts are too high on them without a booster."

But then, I usually get a pass because my car doesn't have head restraints. :rolleyes:

tiggercat

I have a 9 yr old, 70 something lbs, and 4 ft 5 ish. He still needs a booster, so he still rides in one even though he is probably the only 4th grader in his school to ride in one. Oddly, he doesn't seem to care at all, he just wants to know when he will be able to sit in the front seat (um, when you get your driver's license? :eek: ). Other people give me flack about it, but you know what? IF anything ever were to happen to my kids in a collision, I would know that I did everything I could to protect them. I couldn't live with myself otherwise.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Seems like no one really asked much, though I was irked when I sent a booster with Bitsy to a party and she had a sleepover and they went out again and she only used the booster for the first trip. Grr.
The law here is 8, though, it's easier... I persisted through age 8 and then just started having the talk with them about getting in a seat with a lap and shoulderbelt and using it properly, even if they didn't quite pass the 5 step test.
A small, attractive backless makes things a little more fun... cute Olli or pink LiteRider? Maybe the base from the neato-cool airbooster?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC