Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Time for a new seat?

I think dd needs a new seat. I'd take a picture of her in the seat but our camera died so I'll try and describe the situation. She's in a Safety 1st All in one Convertible. I noticed yesterday that the top of her head is level with the top of the seat. She is one month shy of two, 27lbs, 33". If I remember right for this seat the manual says 36" to be RFing but her head is definatly level with the top fo this seat so maybe she is long toros-ed?? I tried raising the shoulder straps which raises the back of the seat a smidge but then they are a good 1.5" above her shoulders and it really doesn't change the back height significantly. I want her to RF as long as possible. At diapers.com I have a Radian XTSL in my shopping cart on a really good deal. Should I just go ahead and get this? We drive a 2003 Toyota Corolla. Oh, and my parents live in New Zealand so we would have to travel with this seat. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Time for a new seat?

It is no unusual for kids to outgrow that seat rear facing early, and it does sound like she has outgrown it for rear facing so you do need to turn her ffing until you purchase a new seat. When you moved the harness up did you notice if it went up to the last slot? You will want to refer to your manual it is possible that she has outgrown the seat all together. I believe that on this seat and other 3 in 1 seats by Dorel the last slot is for booster mode only. The warning may also be stamped on the back of the car seat.

The SKR XTSL is a great seat that will keep her rear facing for quite sometime and it is a GREAT seat to travel with, fits very well ffing on planes, and since it folds and has a carrying strap it makes it easier to get through the airport.

If you order from diapers.com if you are a first time customer you can use the 10PERCENT coupon code Also if you can find the seat cheaper on another site diapers.com will price match and then you can still use the 10PERCENT.

hth
    Jen CPST-I
    DS1: 7 years 43# 49" Monterey, Probooster, Turbo SS DS2: 5 years 36# 41" Recaro Prosport, Frontier 85 and BV70

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by yetanotherjen View Post
    It is no unusual for kids to outgrow that seat rear facing early, and it does sound like she has outgrown it for rear facing so you do need to turn her ffing until you purchase a new seat. When you moved the harness up did you notice if it went up to the last slot? You will want to refer to your manual it is possible that she has outgrown the seat all together. I believe that on this seat and other 3 in 1 seats by Dorel the last slot is for booster mode only. The warning may also be stamped on the back of the car seat.

The SKR XTSL is a great seat that will keep her rear facing for quite sometime and it is a GREAT seat to travel with, fits very well ffing on planes, and since it folds and has a carrying strap it makes it easier to get through the airport.

If you order from diapers.com if you are a first time customer you can use the 10PERCENT coupon code Also if you can find the seat cheaper on another site diapers.com will price match and then you can still use the 10PERCENT.

hth
    Yup, it is in booster mode. Grrr... Oh well, I'll probably bite the bullet and get the XTSL. I actually have it in my cart at $183.xx on a price match/15%off code then I'll do BING cash back making it $165.xx not bad for a great seat I guess. Now I'm off to research whether or not it will FIT RFing in my corolla!

The XTSL is an awesome seat I have 2! My 5yr10m son still fits RF, and so does my friends very long torsoed 3.5yr. Sorry I have no advice about the car but there is a radian successful install thread on here and if you search *name of your car* I'm sure you'll find lots of good info.
    Nicholas ~ 8yr 50lbs ~ FR85 SICT Harnessed
    ~ Kassandra 12/24-29/05 and Nevaeh 10/21/06 ~ Safe in heaven.
    Karsen ~ 4yr 35lbs ~ ERF in S4ME
    Hailey ~ 3yr 34lbs ~ ERF CA65LX

Ketchupqueen has a couple in her corolla. You could PM her too.

Also can you share your price match link and coupon code? I have a friend that needs one of these I can only seem to get it to $200ish
    Nicholas ~ 8yr 50lbs ~ FR85 SICT Harnessed
    ~ Kassandra 12/24-29/05 and Nevaeh 10/21/06 ~ Safe in heaven.
    Karsen ~ 4yr 35lbs ~ ERF in S4ME
    Hailey ~ 3yr 34lbs ~ ERF CA65LX

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Katy View Post
    Also can you share your price match link and coupon code? I have a friend that needs one of these I can only seem to get it to $200ish
    Here's what I plan to do...

1) Go to www.babycarseats.com
    2) Add Nitro or Petal XTSL (only one this deal will work on because the other colours are on backorder)
    3) Go to your shopping cart, click "checkout now" scroll down to where it says "Promo Code" - Type CARSEAT20 and then click "Update" Price should now be down to $251.99
    4) Call DIAPERS.com and ask for pricematch. They will load it onto your account.
    5) When checking out in DIAPERS.com use code MAY15 for 15% off which brings your total to $183.59.
    6) Alternatively, after DIAPERS.com has loaded the pricematch into your account you can log into Bing.com.
    7) Click shopping
    8) Search for "Radian XTSL"
    9) Find the colour of the one your have the PM on, select diapers.com
    10) Then when you are checking out in diapers.com use the MAY15 code. Big will pay you back 10% which makes your total...

$165.23.

Not as hard as it sounds but totally worth it in my opinion! You can also do this deal with any other Radian. ie. Radian 80 would be like $146.27 Hope that helps!

9. Thank You from:

It is quite unusual for a 33" child to outgrow the seat RF, since it has a ~25" shell. So if she is indeed even with the top of the shell, that would mean she has 8" legs, which would be quite disproportionate. Are you measuring like this?
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by An Aurora View Post
    It is quite unusual for a 33" child to outgrow the seat RF, since it has a ~25" shell. So if she is indeed even with the top of the shell, that would mean she has 8" legs, which would be quite disproportionate. Are you measuring like this?
    *snort* - 8" legs made me laugh. Thanks for that link, I'll check when she is up from her nap! May still get the radian anyways...

Right, of course But I didn't want you to freak out about her riding in her current seat while the Radian is en route.
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)