Who wants a fun shopping task ??

Lea_Ontario

Does anyone want a fun shopping task ?

I am able to get a Nikon D50 w/ 18-55 lens for $650. I have some budget left over after that for accessories.

So - head to http://www.henrys.com - go into the Canadian dollars section, and figure out a way to accessorize me for under $600.

Keep in mind that you are shopping for someone new to DSLR, who will be shooting kids' photos, portraits, some wildlife, and whatever the DPC challenges throw my way.

I already own a tripod.

I do need a memory card.

Come back with your list and tell me what you would get, and why.

ETA : I just lowered the amount to $600 because I went to future shop and picked up a couple of items. First was a 2GB Kingston SD Card and card reader ($50) and the second - a 350GB external hard drive ($150).

Last edited:
ADS

lovinwaves

Kashi! Love your new Avatar pix! Also, member's Londal, and Patriot, I think are both camera freaks, LOL :p So hopefully they will be here to help you!!

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Kashi -

That's exciting! A DSLR camera... I'm drooling...:p I don't have time to "shop" right now but maybe later. You're doing what I want to do - shoot kids' photos, wildlife, etc. But I don't have the money to get the equipment right now - I still have the 35mm camera I used in high school as yearbook photographer. :D That and a point-and-shoot digital camera. I love all your pics, BTW. Congrats on the new camera and have fun outfitting it!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Does anyone want a fun shopping task ?

I am able to get a Nikon D50 w/ 18-55 lens for $650. I have some budget left over after that for accessories.

Wow! I am jealous! I have a Nikon D50 w/ 18-55 lens and I paid A LOT more than that!! Is that $650 Canadian Dollars? Holy cow!!!

I have five memory cards for mine. I have three 1GB SD cards, and two 512 MB SD cards. That is a bit excessive, but I have gotten good deals on the cards, so I have a lot.

I also have other lenses. My "big" lens is a Macro 300 lens. I love that thing.

I would DEFINITELY invest in a second battery. I use my camera at least four-five times a week, so I can't wait around to charge a battery. The second battery has been great.

I would also DEFINITELY invest in a UV filter, possibly a red filter for your B&W shots, and a circular polarizing filter if you are ever photographing things outside or near water.

I hope you enjoy your D50!!!!

Last edited:

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Also, member's Londal, and Patriot, I think are both camera freaks, LOL :p So hopefully they will be here to help you!!

LOL! I am definitely a camera freak! I just added ANOTHER camera to my collection because I didn't have a digital one I could drop in my purse to bring with me places. I only had my SLR and DLSR, plus a really old Advantix point-and-shoot. :p :p

The Nikon D50 is my favorite, by far. I am LUSTING after the D80 or D200, but the D50 is fantastic!!

Lea_Ontario

Wow! I am jealous! I have a Nikon D50 w/ 18-55 lens and I paid A LOT more than that!! Is that $650 Canadian Dollars? Holy cow!!!

I have five memory cards for mine. I have three 1GB SD cards, and two 512 MB SD cards.

I also have other lenses. My "big" lens is a Macro 300 lens. I love that thing.

I hope you enjoy your D50!!!!

Yes - that's $650 Canadian. The D50 has been (or is being) discontinued, so it's clearance stock now.

I'm gong to have lens envy I think !

Last edited:

skaterbabs

I'm having camera envy. LOL I have to borrow BIL's point-and-shoot Kodak, and even when I get my new one it's "just" a Cannon C3. :p

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Kashi--

I just edited my post to add things I would recommend:

1) A second battery.

2) Filters-- you definitely need a UV filter to protect the lens. A circular polarizing filter would be good if you take pictures near water or outside. A red filter would be good for your B&W photos.

HAVE FUN!!!!

Lea_Ontario

Kashi--

I just edited my post to add things I would recommend:

1) A second battery.

2) Filters-- you definitely need a UV filter to protect the lens. A circular polarizing filter would be good if you take pictures near water or outside. A red filter would be good for your B&W photos.

HAVE FUN!!!!

Extra battery is already figured into my list.
I have "filters" too - but don't know much about them to know what to look for. I LOVE my B&W photos - apparently that has become apparent to you :p - I'll have to look at them I guess.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Extra battery is already figured into my list.
I have "filters" too - but don't know much about them to know what to look for. I LOVE my B&W photos - apparently that has become apparent to you :p - I'll have to look at them I guess.

I've been told that a red filter is not necessary for B&W digital photography since the photos are actually being taken in color and then converted to B&W, but I still use a red filter when I know I am going to be converting to B&W. I don't know if it is making a difference or not. I already had the red filter from my film SLR, so I just use it.

The UV filter is important primarily for protection of the lens.

I am so happy for you!!! The D50 is a GREAT camera!!

Lys

Senior Community Member
Oh yeah!
i justgot some new stuff for my camera last week!
I LOVE my Sandisk Extreme III 1 GB memory card. it got the best reviews on Cnet for writing speeds. I used it last weekend to take soccer pics of my oldest DD. They came out great. Kingston is also a good brandbut check the write speed on them first.
Also, for portraits a shoe flash would be nice. it's the next thing on my list I want to get.
And last a good telephoto zoom lens. They are nice to have to catch candid shots of the kids so they don't know you are taking pics of them. This lenslets you be FAR away from your subject. I have a 75-300mm.
Have fun shopping! I could spend a fortune on camera stuff!!!!

carseatmom

CPST Instructor
Well, I have a Nikon D70, and a D80, so I've had lots of experience with Nikon!

I'd get a 1GB CF or SD card (which ever your takes, I can't remember). A 1GB will get you a lot of pictures! You'll want the extreme in order for it to right to the card fast enough.

Next I'd get a 50mm 1.8 lens. It's great for portrait and low light situations! It gives you a lower aperture (the 1.8) so your shutter speed is faster in lower light. It also helps with your ISO's.

I'd also suggest you invest in Photoshop Elements or CS3 instead of filters. You don't need filters, your digital!

Next, is a book... Understanding Exposure by Byran Peterson (get the updated version, with the digital info). This is a MUST have book when you have a SLR!!! Learning your camera is the most important thing.

Next, a cheap gray card! Learn to set a custom white balence! This stops you from getting the yellow or blue off color pictures.

Last a tip... start hanging out at www.ilovephotography.com, you'll need to register to see the forum. Where you really want to read is the JSO folders! You'll learn a lot there, and there are tons of people with the same camera.

If you have any questions please let me know! I'm happy to help! Enjoy your new toy! :)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
W
You don't need filters, your digital!

I disagree. You do need a UV filter to protect the lens. The other filters, as I stated above, are optional and may not even be all that functional. But a UV filter is extremely important. A UV filter costs about $10-$20 (USD), but a repair for a scratched lens costs MANY MANY times that amount.

carseatmom-- I am SO jealous that you have a D80!!! :) :) I am lusting after that camera!!! :) :)

carseatmom

CPST Instructor
That's true, but I don't consider a UV filter a true filter. I just consider it protection for your lens, it honestly doesn't serve any other purpose. But I don't have one on my 50mm and it LIVES on my camera!

Love my D80!! But in to be honest, I'm considering a change to Canon!

Lys

Senior Community Member
I debated back and forth for the longest time about whether to get a Canon or a Nikon.
I have had a few Canons in the past and just was used to the set up.
I do LOVE the D80 but it doesn't make sense to go back and forth between brands since the lenses aren't cross compatible.
I would love to have the Canon 30D now.

Lys

Senior Community Member
Oh! I can not STAND Photoshop. It is the hardest program on earth to learn !
And besides, I am more of a tradionalist in photography. A throw back to film, if the picture isn't close to perfect when I take it, I don't want to " doctor it up".

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
i am jealous:p i used a d50 at work (taking real estate photos ...boring!) and would bring it home and do Aleah's pictures all the time. but i dont work there anymore...but anyway...i dont know what to buy (i just used what i had) but hope you have fun with your new camera!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC