How to approach parents on misuse

emtb79

I have a liittle baby that starting my daycare today and straps are in the wrong shoulder height. II transport the kids in my van and mtt basewith his seat. I could use my seat too, but I also want him to be able to be safe in his parents cars too. How do I approach the parents on about the misuse their first day?

ADS

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
If you're planning to use his carrier with the base in your car (not really sure from your post if that's what you meant) then I'd make the harness correct after they drop him off. Then when they pick him up casually say 'Oh, and I moved the straps on his carrier from here to here. They were above his shoulders, and they needed to be below.'. If they are upset by this, then you can just say that you are required by your daycare license and state law to transport them properly according to manufacturer's instructions. If there's still an issue or if they move the straps back up, just use your own seat. Sometimes you just can't change people's minds. He's their child, but YOU can transport him properly when he's with you. :)

emtb79

Yea I think I will drag the carrier back up from the basement and use it. Because the straps on his carrier (Snugride 35) are on the second slots up and his shoulders are barely above the bottom slots.

mykidsmom

Yea I think I will drag the carrier back up from the basement and use it. Because the straps on his carrier (Snugride 35) are on the second slots up and his shoulders are barely above the bottom slots.

If his carrier is left with you when they drop him off, I would fix HIS carrier so the straps are right, and just notify the parents that you needed to change it to meet the car seat requirements.

Maybe they don't know?

monstah

I think CTPDmom suggestion was perfect. I would absolutely shown them that you had to move the harness and why before going straight to your seat. :thumbsup:

Also, did you ask if it was OK to use your own car seat? I know most people aren't as concerned with seat safety as we are but if someone put my kid in a different car seat than the one I provided I would lose my cool, KWIM?

emtb79

Well it went well, I tols him that I took the kids to drop off the kids at school and when I got back home and I was taking him out that the straps were at his ears. Mom said she moved them up last night because he seemed squished, however dad said he didnt check it to make sure it wasnt too tall. I also just let them know that if they were in an accident he might even come out of the seat because the straps werent at or below his shoulders.

They said they would move back down again tonight.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
If you are ever in this situation in the future, a good approach would be to tell the parent that you were reading over the manual because you wanted to make sure that you knew how to use their seat properly, and you found "x" on page number "y" and you had a question about it.

monstah

If you are ever in this situation in the future, a good approach would be to tell the parent that you were reading over the manual because you wanted to make sure that you knew how to use their seat properly, and you found "x" on page number "y" and you had a question about it.

Great advice. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC