Had to put my 3yr old in a booster

RainbowMama

My son who is 3 is in a 5 pt harness full time. We went on a day trip Saturday and had borrowed my Grandma's van to go in. Well thank goodness she left her booster seat in there because we ended up needing it. DS was in his 5 pt harness (a CarGo, it's one of the seats we are replacing bc he's 39lbs and it goes to 40lbs anyway.... lol), he said his tummy hurt and then OMG. I have never seen so much vomit come from a child. :( We were on the side of the road with one SMALL pack of wipes, no towels, no paper towels, I used almost the whole pack cleaning up DS so there was no way he could go back in the 5 pt harness. I had no choice but to put him in booster, a backless at that, for the rest of the trip. :thumbsdown: I was a nervous wreck the whole rest of the drive!!!

So now, how in the heck do I get the straps on that seat clean?!? It only has a few months left before the exp date and I'm so tempted to just junk it now instead of trying to get it clean. I won't need a seat before we get the new ones in anyway. WWYD?

ADS

LaceyS

Oh, that has happened to us before. It was not pretty. I now make sure I have a booster with just in case. I have no advice on how to clean the straps though.

RainbowMama

Oh, that has happened to us before. It was not pretty. I now make sure I have a booster with just in case. I have no advice on how to clean the straps though.

We own a backless booster but I usually keep it in the house in the spare room until I need it (I use it for my cousin who is 6) but now it is in the backseat of my van strapped in just in case.

chasingboys

I'd definitely toss the almost expired seat. Shoot...I'd probably get rid of it even if it had a year or two before expiring :eek: I pray everytime we get in the car that a) we arrive safely at our destination and b) that no one pukes :whistle:

mish

I would definitely junk it and get a new seat. In fact, I would be buying a new seat today. Or do you have an extra? I would hate to see a 3 year old in a booster seat if you have to drive again soon.

ginny4

you did the best you could at that moment.

i'd just toss the seat too

for longer trips especially i keep a box that has an extra cover & harness straps just in case. thankfully have only needed once in the last 2years.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I'd probably just junk it too, if you don't anticipate needing it again.

Sorry to hear about the puking incident. How did your DS do in the booster? Personally, I probably would have put my 3YO back in the yucky seat :eek: depending on how long the drive was. (I'd do that if I didn't have a backless booster available, so might as well do it anyway.) Glad it turned out OK.

zeo2ski

Personally, I probably would have put my 3YO back in the yucky seat :eek: depending on how long the drive was. (I'd do that if I didn't have a backless booster available, so might as well do it anyway.) Glad it turned out OK.

I'd do the same. However, I am very thankful that I have not yet experienced any vomitting in the car! I'm sorry that happened to you--and of course it would have to happen in someone ELSE's car that has no extra supplies to clean up.

christineka

I'd probably just junk it too, if you don't anticipate needing it again.

Sorry to hear about the puking incident. How did your DS do in the booster? Personally, I probably would have put my 3YO back in the yucky seat :eek: depending on how long the drive was. (I'd do that if I didn't have a backless booster available, so might as well do it anyway.) Glad it turned out OK.

Yeah, I've done it- on the way to the airport! My dd1 gets car sick. She only did it once in a harnessed seat. I would set a plastic bag or towel or something in the seat just to get to a gas station or home. I keep stuff in the car and van for just in case- not just for sickness, but in case of emergencies and stuff. Water is a good thing to have on hand.

mykidsmom

hmm, I would have done the same thing with my 2 year old :eek:

She is big enough for the booster seats we have (i.e. meets minimum size requirements albeit too young by age). I don't even think I would worry about her in one. As strange as it sounds, I think she would sit properly and has enough maturity.

My older daughter was the same way at 2. It was at 3 that she totally went psycho. We never had terrible 2's. It was terrible 3,4,5,6, um does it ever get better!!

RainbowMama

He did fine in the seat, sat in it like he was supposed, didn't play with the belt or anything. I am going to just toss the puked in seat. I won't need a seat before our new ones arrive anyway and it's so close to expiration. I'm just glad I'm not the only one that has had to do it before. LOL

RainbowMama

I'd do the same. However, I am very thankful that I have not yet experienced any vomitting in the car! I'm sorry that happened to you--and of course it would have to happen in someone ELSE's car that has no extra supplies to clean up.

Yea exactly. If it had been in my van I would've had all the stuff I needed to clean him and the seat up. Oh well. From now on I'm making sure I take clean up stuff with me when we're in someone else's car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC