Congress may outlaw drop-side cribs

ADS

kidnurse

Maybe so, but there are 64 parents who's lives would be drastically different if these cribs had not been on the market to begin with. (I'm not saying anyone could have known the risk before kids started dying, but it would have made a difference to those 64 parents, not to mention the 32 LO's)

Pixels

Oh, I didn't mean to sound insensitive to those 32 children and their families. If it was my kid, I'm sure I would be doing everything I could to outlaw them. My point was that there are other, much more dangerous things that I worry about a whole lot more. I don't think the danger level is ban-worthy, personally.

RainbowMama

Oh, I didn't mean to sound insensitive to those 32 children and their families. If it was my kid, I'm sure I would be doing everything I could to outlaw them. My point was that there are other, much more dangerous things that I worry about a whole lot more. I don't think the danger level is ban-worthy, personally.

Agreed. While I do think there is a lot of things dangerous with various cribs (though those are mainly manuf. defects), I think there are more dangerous things we should be worrying about.

Beckers

It seems like the bigger problem is cheap, plastic parts. Am I wrong? Wouldn't it be better/more effective to ban those?

kathysr98

It seems like the bigger problem is cheap, plastic parts. Am I wrong? Wouldn't it be better/more effective to ban those?

My thoughts exactly. Some people can't see the forest for the trees. Until people put as much thought into selecting, properly using, and maintaining baby equipment as they do picking out their lunch, these problems will continue.

rodentranger

My thoughts exactly. Some people can't see the forest for the trees. Until people put as much thought into selecting, properly using, and maintaining baby equipment as they do picking out their lunch, these problems will continue.

I wish people would take personal responsibilty instead of calling for bans on "dangerous" stuff. Like HFCS...seriously? Just don't buy it.

Sadierain

I agree with everyone else, there are much bigger fish to be frying.
Instead of banning drop-side cribs altogether, why not just ban unsafe parts - the cheap plastic ones PP mentioned?
FTR, drop-side cribs are invaluable to us shorties! At just over 5', I would be SOL without my drop-side crib. I do NOT feel stable enough standing on a stool trying to lift my daugher in and out of a fixed-side - it is much more dangerous, FOR ME.

xursusmaritimusx

I agree with everyone else, there are much bigger fish to be frying.
Instead of banning drop-side cribs altogether, why not just ban unsafe parts - the cheap plastic ones PP mentioned?
FTR, drop-side cribs are invaluable to us shorties! At just over 5', I would be SOL without my drop-side crib. I do NOT feel stable enough standing on a stool trying to lift my daugher in and out of a fixed-side - it is much more dangerous, FOR ME.

thats basically how i feel being short as well. a drop side was barely low enough when i had to lower the mattress

Lemonade

From what I've seen wandering through BRU, the cribs seem to be getting lower to the ground to compensate for the lack of a drop side. Anyone else notice this? I guess it also will help for those kiddos who manage to climb out - the fall won't be so far if the crib is lower to the ground.

We ended up with two kids in cribs for a bit and the newer one was lower (both drop side though.)

xursusmaritimusx

From what I've seen wandering through BRU, the cribs seem to be getting lower to the ground to compensate for the lack of a drop side. Anyone else notice this? I guess it also will help for those kiddos who manage to climb out - the fall won't be so far if the crib is lower to the ground.

We ended up with two kids in cribs for a bit and the newer one was lower (both drop side though.)

oh thats good to know!!

i have already decided that whenever #2 decides to come along that im actually more interested in the cribs ikea has because they are much lower all around.

Smillow

I have a 1998 Bassett dropside crib that I "inherited" from my sister. I think it would be impossible for it to fail like the pictures from the CPSC show - it has all metal parts & there are multiple bolts holding the hardware that lets the side slide up & down. My only worry has been the side dropping if my son were to shake it really hard (when he gets bigger). That mechanism is very different though & not what the CPSC is recalling cribs over.

I am 5'8" and I can't imagine not being able to drop the side when DS was a newborn & I was recovering from a c/s!

kidnurse

I agree there are a lot more dangerous things out there, but the fact remains that unfortunately the average parent does put more energy and effort into ordering lunch than maintaining their baby equiptment. It is the LO's that suffer the most, this may not be the most pressing childhood danger, but hopefully if drop-side cribs do get outlawed it will save the lives of a few children. :twocents:

crunchierthanthou

yeah, the new fixed sides are more like hip height than chest. In the lowest position, the mattress is barely off the ground.

I agree that it's a matter of cheaply made plastic hardware. I believe the Simplicity recall spelled that out specifically.

tjham

My drop side crib had all metal parts. I was appalled the first time I saw one with plastic fittings. I am also short and would have a hard time laying a sleeping baby down with the side up. I guess making the crib shorter may compensate for it, but I agree, they should make the cribs with safer hardware.

Athena

Another confirmation that the new non-drop side cribs are lower overall. It's a completely different design. The drop side cribs are higher off the ground, high enough to allow for a drawer underneath, so they require the side to drop to be usable. At least when I was crib shopping a few years ago that's the way it was. The newer fixed style was lower overall and its fixed side was not much different in height to a lowered drop side.

I was shocked, horrified, concerned, ... by how badly made many of the cribs, cradles, etc., were. :(

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC