Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CPS Technician crunchierthanthou's Avatar

Congress may outlaw drop-side cribs

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand plans to introduce the legislation this week.

article

Associated Press video

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Congress may outlaw drop-side cribs

32 deaths in 10 years. It would save more lives if they outlawed hot dogs.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

Maybe so, but there are 64 parents who's lives would be drastically different if these cribs had not been on the market to begin with. (I'm not saying anyone could have known the risk before kids started dying, but it would have made a difference to those 64 parents, not to mention the 32 LO's)

Oh, I didn't mean to sound insensitive to those 32 children and their families. If it was my kid, I'm sure I would be doing everything I could to outlaw them. My point was that there are other, much more dangerous things that I worry about a whole lot more. I don't think the danger level is ban-worthy, personally.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

6. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by Pixels View Post
    Oh, I didn't mean to sound insensitive to those 32 children and their families. If it was my kid, I'm sure I would be doing everything I could to outlaw them. My point was that there are other, much more dangerous things that I worry about a whole lot more. I don't think the danger level is ban-worthy, personally.
    Agreed. While I do think there is a lot of things dangerous with various cribs (though those are mainly manuf. defects), I think there are more dangerous things we should be worrying about.
    ~*~Kelly~*~

It seems like the bigger problem is cheap, plastic parts. Am I wrong? Wouldn't it be better/more effective to ban those?
    Becky

Ally 11 in a Harmony Cruz
    Riley 9 in a Chicco Strada
    Sam 6 FF in a Nautilus

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Beckers View Post
    It seems like the bigger problem is cheap, plastic parts. Am I wrong? Wouldn't it be better/more effective to ban those?
    My thoughts exactly. Some people can't see the forest for the trees. Until people put as much thought into selecting, properly using, and maintaining baby equipment as they do picking out their lunch, these problems will continue.
    Mama to Josie (4/08, 47lbs & 49"), retriever-cat Hotrod, munchkin-cat Gizmo, and hell-cat Leggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixels View Post
    32 deaths in 10 years. It would save more lives if they outlawed hot dogs.
    I agree. How about swimming pools?

11. Thank You from:

CPS Technician xursusmaritimusx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kathysr98 View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Some people can't see the forest for the trees. Until people put as much thought into selecting, properly using, and maintaining baby equipment as they do picking out their lunch, these problems will continue.
    my thoughts too.

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by kathysr98 View Post
    I wish people would take personal responsibilty instead of calling for bans on "dangerous" stuff. Like HFCS...seriously? Just don't buy it.
    Jessi, CPST: 2003 Honda Pilot, 2010 Toyota Corolla
    T 12/12/06 49" 55 lbs D 1/8/09 44" 50 lbs
    In Use:2 PKWY SGLs, FR80, GN, HB TB Teaching seats: Titan 65, Lite Rider Retired: Wizard, 2 33 lb MA's, 2 50 lb CAs, 3 XTSLs, Regent
    PetBuckle Review Here

I agree with everyone else, there are much bigger fish to be frying.
    Instead of banning drop-side cribs altogether, why not just ban unsafe parts - the cheap plastic ones PP mentioned?
    FTR, drop-side cribs are invaluable to us shorties! At just over 5', I would be SOL without my drop-side crib. I do NOT feel stable enough standing on a stool trying to lift my daugher in and out of a fixed-side - it is much more dangerous, FOR ME.
    DD#1 - 5/2/09 - ERFing in Radian XTSL
    DD#2 - Arrived 6/19 at 37.3 weeks! Riding in a Chicco Keyfit!

Quote Originally Posted by Sadierain View Post
    I agree with everyone else, there are much bigger fish to be frying.
    Instead of banning drop-side cribs altogether, why not just ban unsafe parts - the cheap plastic ones PP mentioned?
    FTR, drop-side cribs are invaluable to us shorties! At just over 5', I would be SOL without my drop-side crib. I do NOT feel stable enough standing on a stool trying to lift my daugher in and out of a fixed-side - it is much more dangerous, FOR ME.
    thats basically how i feel being short as well. a drop side was barely low enough when i had to lower the mattress

From what I've seen wandering through BRU, the cribs seem to be getting lower to the ground to compensate for the lack of a drop side. Anyone else notice this? I guess it also will help for those kiddos who manage to climb out - the fall won't be so far if the crib is lower to the ground.

We ended up with two kids in cribs for a bit and the newer one was lower (both drop side though.)
    CPST and Mom to:
    DS 12/05 {60# and 55.5"}
    DD 6/08 {56# and 51.5"} in an Incognito

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonade View Post
    From what I've seen wandering through BRU, the cribs seem to be getting lower to the ground to compensate for the lack of a drop side. Anyone else notice this? I guess it also will help for those kiddos who manage to climb out - the fall won't be so far if the crib is lower to the ground.

We ended up with two kids in cribs for a bit and the newer one was lower (both drop side though.)
    oh thats good to know!!

i have already decided that whenever #2 decides to come along that im actually more interested in the cribs ikea has because they are much lower all around.

I have a 1998 Bassett dropside crib that I "inherited" from my sister. I think it would be impossible for it to fail like the pictures from the CPSC show - it has all metal parts & there are multiple bolts holding the hardware that lets the side slide up & down. My only worry has been the side dropping if my son were to shake it really hard (when he gets bigger). That mechanism is very different though & not what the CPSC is recalling cribs over.

I am 5'8" and I can't imagine not being able to drop the side when DS was a newborn & I was recovering from a c/s!

Some deaths are due to the parents not following instructions, and putting the crib together wrong.

I agree there are a lot more dangerous things out there, but the fact remains that unfortunately the average parent does put more energy and effort into ordering lunch than maintaining their baby equiptment. It is the LO's that suffer the most, this may not be the most pressing childhood danger, but hopefully if drop-side cribs do get outlawed it will save the lives of a few children.

CPS Technician crunchierthanthou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonade View Post

yeah, the new fixed sides are more like hip height than chest. In the lowest position, the mattress is barely off the ground.

I agree that it's a matter of cheaply made plastic hardware. I believe the Simplicity recall spelled that out specifically.

My drop side crib had all metal parts. I was appalled the first time I saw one with plastic fittings. I am also short and would have a hard time laying a sleeping baby down with the side up. I guess making the crib shorter may compensate for it, but I agree, they should make the cribs with safer hardware.

CPS Fanatic

Another confirmation that the new non-drop side cribs are lower overall. It's a completely different design. The drop side cribs are higher off the ground, high enough to allow for a drawer underneath, so they require the side to drop to be usable. At least when I was crib shopping a few years ago that's the way it was. The newer fixed style was lower overall and its fixed side was not much different in height to a lowered drop side.

I was shocked, horrified, concerned, ... by how badly made many of the cribs, cradles, etc., were.
    Last edited by Athena; 05-24-2010 at 03:49 AM.