Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

DOM on Century Accell SE??

I cannot find the DOM on my Century Accell SE. It does say to not use after December 2007, but I can't find a specific DOM or model number. I am looking b/c I had to go online to get a manual, and I found one that I think is close, but I also found a mention of a recall for seats manufactured between April 9th & May 10th of 2001. I bought my seat near the end of 2001 or early 2002, but it was from a smaller store, so it is possible that it could be that old...how do I find out?
    Kathleen
    Wife to Mr. Mike and Mom to:
    B - 16, C - 15, T - 15, A - 14, H - 12,
    L - 10, J - 8, A - 8, R - 20mo!!
    I am seat and cover shopping!! 😁

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Advocate

Re: DOM on Century Accell SE??

did you take the cover all the way off and look for one in the sitting area?
    or it might be embossed on the shell as well.
    What was the recall for?
    “Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes...
    That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away AND you have their shoes.”

I'd assume that the DOM was in 12/2001, if that seat has a life of 6 years, based on the do not use by info.
    apparently, people put stuff here.
    imagine:
    photos of my extremely adorable spawn.
    their stats and a
    witty quote.

posted from my computer using the internet...
    Super SEEEEKRIT stuff here.

Carseat Crazy

Ah, good point. Makes sense. Thanks! The recall was for something to do with the harness attachment lock not staying tight in a crash, I think....so the harness could loosen 4-6 inches allowing a child to come out. Sounds like we should be ok. It's going to be replaced by the end of the year anyways....obviously!
    Kathleen

CPS Advocate

unless they do like dorel and round off the month to emboss on all seats for the year instead of seat by seat or month by month
    That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away AND you have their shoes.”

Quote Originally Posted by LuvBug03 View Post
    unless they do like dorel and round off the month to emboss on all seats for the year instead of seat by seat or month by month
    I'm almost positive Century did that too. If it's a recall in question I wouldn't count on a 12/01 DOM.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but most likely, the DOM sticker is long gone. Century is famous for their amazing disintegrating labels. After 2-3 years they crumble and flake off. If by some miracle it's still there, it'll be a small rectangular label, about 3" by 1", on the lower outside of the seat shell (hope that makes sense)

CPS Advocate

since it is due to expire this year and you are unsure of the DOM, why not go ahead and toss it? Unless you can get the fix for the recall from them even without your sticker.

Carseat Crazy

Hmmm, well, tossing is in the plans, but I have to get a new seat first and I just bought a new Scenera for DD#1 yesterday b/c she has outgrown the top slots of the Accel and was too tall to RF in it...so I can't replace another seat yet. It says don't use after Dec. 07, so I planned on using it until Nov. or so. I have an Evenflo Odyssey I can use instead, I was just installing the Accel since it was supposed to last longer!!! Sceneras are fairly inexpensive, I can possibly get another one in a month or so.
    Kathleen

Carseat Crazy

I might call next week about the recall issue...maybe they'll replace it b/c they can't prove that it isn't part of it? Not likely, but worth a try...and who'd complain about a free seat, especially when I need a new one!!!
    Kathleen

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

I used to have an Accel but it was expiring and I destroyed it a while back and can't remember where the DOM label was located on mine, sorry. I would absolutely call Graco (who bought out Century several years ago) about your possibly missing DOM label and how you need to verify the recall status.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar