Sleeping support in rf radian

melniemi

My 3 yo has fallen asleep the past two days in her radian, rfing. When I go to get her out, her body seems umm..like twisted almost? Like she's slouching, but her torso isn't straight. Make sense? Her head is also cocked funny and her spine seems to be torqued or something. It's odd and I don't like how she looks. She always looked so comfy in her marathon. And no, I didn't take a picture, I will try to if it happens again.

After yesterday, I reclined it more, it was really upright. After today, I reclined it even more. I really can't recline it more than it is because the passenger will be in the dash. I had initially put it more upright so dh can fit in the passenger seat. But since he almost never rides there anyway, I'd rather dd be more comfy when asleep than dh on his rare ride as passenger.

Anyone else's kid look uncomfy sleeping in a rf radian? I thought about using the infant support, but she already complains her back gets hot (never said anything in her marathon) so I hate to add the extra padding.

ADS

Pixels

My daughter sleeps quite comfortably in her Radians. She's two now, been sleeping in them since she was 7 months old without the body support. The most uncomfortable she seems is when she fell asleep in the 65 (no headwings) and her head would flop pretty far to the side. It never seemed to bother her (she didn't act sore or cranky when she woke) so I tried not to let it bother me.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Warning, personal opinion ahead... by all means, do read and follow your manual, but I think about these things nonstop and feel like sharing, lol...

Oh yeah, those straps really are appearing to curve way down below her shoulders. How I wish they'd just change the rule across the board to "closest to or below" which would include the straps being a bit above the shoulders when RF but still safe because it would be firmly holding kids in the seat rather than the 'at or below' which encourages people to inconvenience themselves tremendously keeping them below even when it's way, way below (so far below that you can see how far out of the seat she's leaning, that would be totally unacceptable for FF, because the head excursion during rebound would be too high, and side impact wouldn't optimally keep her in the seat as well). I put mine in the 4th slots on Leah's second birthday, they were definitely 'closest to' her shoulders, and her sleep was fine, as good as her big sister ever was in her Marathon (We loved our Marathon...<wistful sigh>).

featherhead

Warning, personal opinion ahead... by all means, do read and follow your manual, but I think about these things nonstop and feel like sharing, lol...

Oh yeah, those straps really are appearing to curve way down below her shoulders. How I wish they'd just change the rule across the board to "closest to or below" which would include the straps being a bit above the shoulders when RF but still safe because it would be firmly holding kids in the seat rather than the 'at or below' which encourages people to inconvenience themselves tremendously keeping them below even when it's way, way below (so far below that you can see how far out of the seat she's leaning, that would be totally unacceptable for FF, because the head excursion during rebound would be too high, and side impact wouldn't optimally keep her in the seat as well). I put mine in the 4th slots on Leah's second birthday, they were definitely 'closest to' her shoulders, and her sleep was fine, as good as her big sister ever was in her Marathon (We loved our Marathon...<wistful sigh>).

I switched my not-quite-3-year-old to the 4th slots when I got her XTSL a few weeks ago. The extra comfort foam (or whatever its called) boosted her up just a little more, so now she's about a half inch below the slots. But she just fits so much better. And she still has several inches of shell above her head, the seat is upright, and braced. I'm not too worried.

melniemi

Hmm...well, you know when I first got it, I had her in the 4th slots. But when she would fall asleep, she'd shimmy just enough under them that I thought I better move them down. I don't remember her looking so odd sleeping then though. Maybe the combo of too upright and slots too low? I'll move them up and see how she does. I already reclined it more, it was super upright, like I was amazed how upright I managed to get it, hubby was thrilled that he could fit and not have his knees in the dash.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
How much does she weigh? You can use the side support to 30 lbs.

There's always putting a rolled blanket (you can use something really light, like a muslin swaddling blanket) either side of her, like you would with a slouchy newborn. :shrug-shoulders:

AtTheSouthDam

I just moved DD2 up to the fourth slots on the 80. FF she is actually below them 1/2" but RF the straps run parallel to the ground so I am calling that even.

My DD2 got twisted in weird contortions in the XT as well. I kept find her head BELOW the head wings. Not comfy. She did not really like that seat. Now we have the 65 and 80 and we just use the body cushion as a head pillow. No more weird curves and she can throw it over the top of the seat when she doesn't want it.

melniemi

She's 28#s. It's like her head gets caught by the wings and her body tries to lean toward one side, making it all awkward. She's very slender and I think that's a big part of it:(

Thanks

amyd

I made the decision to move DS up to the 4th slots even though they were a tad above his shoulders. The straps were just not fitting properly on the 3rd slots. I wish there wasn't such a huge gap between the 3rd & 4th slots in that seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC