Is a LBB with proper belt fit as safe as a HBB?

Melanie

I have a unique seatbelt in the middle of my 2nd row. The shoulder part comes out from the seat top instead of from the ceiling like most SUV/Vans. If a child used a LBB there and the shoulder belt fit fine, would it be any less safe than putting a HBB there? If it matters, there would be a car seat or booster on each side. It would be for short trips so sleeping isn't an issue.

If it is just as safe, what's a very narrow LBB?

ADS

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Is there a proper headrest? The HB on an HBB isn't just for sleeping and belt positioning in some circumstances it acts as the headrest when one isn't available or doesn't fit correctly.

Melanie

For a 5-6 year old. I wouldn't put a child there that I wouldn't feel comfortable having in a booster. I'm thinking IF it is as safe, I could pick up a cheap HBB for the times we have an extra friend with us. I'd probably put my own DD there (5 in March). She's just booster training now, but is a safety freak and would absolutely sit properly. Is what we normally do now is the friend rides in DD's Frontier and DD rides in her Vivo. Again, IF it's safe, it would be an inexpensive way to open up more options. DD's starting Kindergarten so we'll be starting with more friends, field trips, etc.

I'm thinking that a child would fit in this space in a LBB when they are the size that would require a HBB in most spots.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I personally would not put a child that age in an LBB. That doesn't mean that some would not, but I would like to see them in an HBB for precaution of fit. This summer I will be keeping a 5yo that rides in an lbb w/ his parents... With me, I'm considering harnessing him. A 5yo is borderline for a booster so putting one in a LBB just doesn't seem right to me. :twocents:

Kat_Momof3

just in general, a highback booster provides extra side protection, so no, I would not say a bb is as safe as a hbb... the point is that, as kids get older, the difference kind of lessens, as kids sleep less, stay in position better without the back and headwings to remind them, and of course, they also eventually outgrow the highback, unless they are leggy and/or the booster is super tall.

But for younger booster riders (kids 5-8yrs old), a highback is definitely the way to go unless the car has fixed angled out headrests that can't be worked with/smushed to where a highback is not compatible (but there are options out there for those that can afford them)... or unless the child has outgrown it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC