WWYD? Nautilus in center or keep it outboard?

TnT's Mom

I am putting this here since it isn't really a technical installation question per se. DS#2 is going away with DH this weekend and I am reinstalling his Nautilus in DH's truck (Ford F150 CrewCab...so full backseat). DS#2 has been riding in his Jane Booster the last month or so in the truck but I think I want him in his 5pt for this trip (about 2-3 hours). When the Nautilus is installed in the truck it is outboard passenger side and then our older son is in his booster behind the driver's seat, leaving the middle open. Since DS#1 isn't going with DH this trip, I am wondering if I should install the Nautilus in the middle rather than the outside? There is no headrest in the middle position but that doesn't matter for a Nautilus installation, correct? I am in the process of installing it now...it is in the middle but I just did that to test it out...about 5 minutes ago I had it where I usually put it.

So I guess my question is, if you were only transporting one child would you choose to put them in the middle seating position for any particular reasons?

I think I am over thinking this and obsessing because this is DS#2's first trip with just Daddy and they will be gone for 2 nights. DS#1 started going with Daddy when he was three and I was pregnant with DS#2 so I should be fine but I am twitching a little...lol. DS#2 is beyond excited, though!

ADS

Mae

I always prefer a child in the center, rather than outboard, whenever possible. It's just a slight increase in safety... but if I get a just as good install in the center as I do outboard, why wouldn't I take that increase in safety?

The GN doesn't require headrests, you are correct. I actually have to take the headrests off in my mother's car to get an acceptable install.

I say go for whichever position gives you the more acceptable install! :thumbsup: I hope your DS#2 has fun! :)

TnT's Mom

Thanks for your thoughts!

I had never installed it in the middle before this morning. I decided to try it because for some reason I didn't feel like I was getting as tight an install as I usually get in the outboard position. It seems tighter in the middle so I am going to leave it there. I need to send his booster too (in case he goes anywhere with his grandma), so I will buckle it in in his regular outboard spot.

I know he is going to have a great time...they are going to DH's parents summer house at the Lake. DH needs to help put the docks and the jet ski and boat lifts in, so DS#2 is going to "help" and get spoiled by Grandma without big brother there. DS#1 and I are going to have some quality Mommy-Son time this weekend, which we really need. I am just freaking out a little because my baby is ready to branch out without me!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC