Question for AdventureDad (and other Euro carseat pros)

DahliaRW

My dh is looking at getting a mercedes SL (or SLK, can't remember) roadster. It only has a front seat. From what I've read, Mercedes makes car seats that work with the air bag sensor sytem so that the airbag turns off when the child seat is installed. I know these seats are not legal in the US, but if I can get them and it's the best way to keep my kiddos safe on the rare occassion they are in this car I"m ok with that..

My question is, if my dh buys a used roadster here, is there a way to import one (or two) of these seats and will they work the same way with the airbag sensor here in the US? If anyone knows that would be helpful. And if anyone knows the cost and can help, please pm me.

This would be for my kiddos in the signature. I'd be most interested in the rfing seat for dd. The other two would probably be ok ffing in an american harnessed seat (or booster or RSTV for my oldest) if we had to, but I know rfing is NOT ok with an airbag in any of the seats here.

Here is the only link I could find on them: http://www.driveandstayalive.com/in...les/y_040708_new-child-seats-for-mercedes.htm

Thank you!

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Keep in mind that cars in the USA are rarely identical to those in Europe. Anything that can be decontented easily usually is. For example, unless you know of someone else who has tried it, it's quite possible that any such sensor system may not be present.

It may well work, but I'd hate to have you import pricey seats and shipping only to find out it didn't do what you wanted with no way to return them.

TerisBoys

Check with a dealership if there's one local to you. At one time, these seats were available in the US. For MB, Porshe, and one other line-who's-name-escapes-me.

InternationalMama

I don't know anything about the car you're looking at in particular, but what I've learned about air bags and carseats in the EU is that in Europe usually the airbag can be turned off manually with a switch and in the US it is usually on a sensor and turns off when the weight in the passenger seat is below a certain point (which is obviously less reliable). So it's possible that your US car would be different than the ones used in Europe with the seat. I know other people who have had questions about putting children in the front seat have looked into having the air bag permanently removed or disconnected as an option. This might not be more expensive than importing a seat although again, no personal experience with these models.

TerisBoys

I normally don't turn to ebay for carseats - but this seller might provide insight, too.

FF 20-40# harnessed seat

sidetrack - I used to covet the MB booster - it was based on the Britax Zoom w/ Comfy (never available in the US) and had a DEPTH-adjustable seat.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I don't know anything about the car you're looking at in particular, but what I've learned about air bags and carseats in the EU is that in Europe usually the airbag can be turned off manually with a switch and in the US it is usually on a sensor and turns off when the weight in the passenger seat is below a certain point (which is obviously less reliable). So it's possible that your US car would be different than the ones used in Europe with the seat. I know other people who have had questions about putting children in the front seat have looked into having the air bag permanently removed or disconnected as an option. This might not be more expensive than importing a seat although again, no personal experience with these models.

Of course, even if you can get a waiver to get the airbag disconnected (NHTSA usually doesn't grant them because you WANT to transport a kid in the front seat, only when it is unavoidable to transport a kid there, like you have no possible alternate transportation, or there's a medical need to have the child in the front seat, and usually only when a child is small enough that they must rear-face, not for FF kids) often there is no one in your city or even sometimes in a state that will do it, for liability reasons.

tl01

I believe Mercedes still makes the seats that work for their two seater cars. I'd check with the dealership first.

InternationalMama

Of course, even if you can get a waiver to get the airbag disconnected (NHTSA usually doesn't grant them because you WANT to transport a kid in the front seat, only when it is unavoidable to transport a kid there, like you have no possible alternate transportation, or there's a medical need to have the child in the front seat, and usually only when a child is small enough that they must rear-face, not for FF kids) often there is no one in your city or even sometimes in a state that will do it, for liability reasons.

Thanks. I had no idea you were required by law to have a passenger airbag in your car. There must still be cars on the road that weren't made with them, right? Interesting!

DahliaRW

Thanks. Yeah, when (now or later, not sure) we're serious about buying and go look at the car I'll definitely ask. Interesting that they have things like this in Europe but not here! And I definitely want the airbag to work when I ride there!

There are tons of cars on the road w/o passenger airbags. They laws go into effect for new cars on the road (newly manufactured), not ones people already own and drive. Dh's current car has no airbags (yikes!).

Adventuredad

European cars are almost identical to US cars in every way. We might have some different motor alternatives and styles but nowadays cars in different countries are very similar.

One thing which is different is airbags. Airbags in Europe and other countries can often be turned off with a key or a switch while this is not the case in US with the exception of some trucks. Airbags in European Mercedes can not be turned off with key or switch.

I would triple check if the cr seat systems are compatible, I doubt it will be possible to use in US due to the strange regulations in many states regarding airbags. My experience is that dealerships no very little about car seat safety, especially with any international perspective. Hope your dealer is different:)

Front seat is an excellent place for a child as long as airbag is deactivated. We often say it's just as safe as the rear seat but when we look at all factors it's likely front seat is quite a bit safer. The reputation in US of front seat is terrible, it's seen as unsafe, but this is totally incorrect which has been proven by research and real life experience.

If you need more info about the Mercedes car seats I can get it for you.

DahliaRW

I definitely won't be buying unless I know for sure they'll work. Still not sure on when we'll get the car or if it'll be a year the seats were supposed to work with or not...but want to know my options.

ETA - the vehicle description put up by the dealer of the one that dh is currently looking at says it's compatible with the seats! So I guess they woudl be an option if he decides to buy. But I will ask still.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC