Safety 1st Complete Air questions

calihannah

Thanks very much for the suggestions to re-try the CA in my car in my quest to keep DD RF longer. I went to BRU today and after some epic battling with the seat, I got a decent seatbelt install outboard behind the passenger. However, even armed with my 20% off coupon, I didn't buy it today...I have number of questions I'm hoping you can help with:

1) Is it just me and my car, or does the CA base get in the way of a good LATCH install? The base sat on top of/in front of the LATCH anchor points in my car (BMW 328i wagon), so I couldn't actually install with LATCH. I got a decent install with the seatbelt, but DH is bad at belt installs, so I prefer using LATCH when possible so he can do it if necessary.

2) Is there any problem with having the seat installed quite upright? I didn't have my phone with me to check the angle (yes, there's an app for that), but it was close to 35*. Their manual is actually pretty annoying because the diagrams for RF don't show the front edge of the car seat making contact with the vehicle seat. They mention something about level lines, but I swear the seat I tried at BRU did not have them.

3) The fabric on the CA -- does it snag with velcro (e.g. on shoes)? Has anyone felt the fabric on the SE edition (with the swirl embroidery)? Is it any nicer? Also, how does it wash? I'm reluctant to spend $$ on a seat that feels like a Scenera :p

4) Any other differences in installation with the CA models that have the 4-position recline?

Anything else I should know about the Complete Air before committing to it?

TIA!!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
1) It does that. So do the Scenera and Avenue, actually. It's not a problem, and is safe. But install however you feel comfortable. :) Remember that it's much easier to tighten either LATCH or seatbelt if you pull up the side of the cover, and pull from INSIDE the belt path.

2) 35 degrees is an acceptable angle. The usually-given range is 30-45. An older child is safer more upright. :)

3) I haven't had any snags, and my kids are ALWAYS wearing velcro shoes. I've never seen the SE in person so can't help you on that. I haven't washed it, and it's difficult to get off, but it is SUPER EASY to wipe down, and wipes down really nicely with a wet cloth. :thumbsup:

4) I haven't tried the recline version. Maybe someone else has. But I have tried the similar base on the 3-in-1s and it was kind of a pain, to my mind...

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I have installed the base-on Complete Air seats in 2 different vehicles now, and am of the opinion that it is much easier than the one without the base. Both times it tightened so easily that I thought it couldn't possibly be tight enough - but it was.

If there's a chance the seat could be moved regularly, my opinion is that the base model is worth the extra money for the convenience of installation factor. :twocents:

eta: We've had no problems with shoes snagging ds' seat either. There is one small pull in the cover on the side of the seat, but it's the only one after 8 months of use and I'm not sure what the source was of it because it's not a velcro/fuzzing type of thing but more an individual thread that is pulled a little.

jessi f

I'm not an expert but I just turned my 3 year old RF in a CA and we really like it so far. :) The first day I was worried that getting DS in and out would be a huge pain. He seemed to get the straps stuck under himself and they were hard to dig out bc the seat is a bit more narrow than DDs TF that I'm used too. Weve worked out a system though and isnt a problem anymore. I think alot of that was just me getting used to RF an older child.

1) I dont know bc I dont have latch but I can get a really solid install with the seatbelt with less effort than I expected. I had to twist my buckle stalk 3 times and get behind the seat to push it down and tighten it. It goes in super easy that way.

2) The level line on mine is kind of a hump molded into the plastic towards the top of the side of the seat instead of a sticker like most seats. I had my angle checked on this site and it's around 35 degrees which they say is fine for 3 year old.

3) The fabric seems fine on ours so far. DS wears shoes with velcro and he hasnt snagged it yet. I had to spot clean it bc he got carsick the other day. I was able to get it clean and non-stinky with just a washcloth and mild detergent and you cant tell anything was ever there.

4) Mine has the plain base so I dont know about the reclining base but I think you woud be ok without it since you be going for a more upright install for an older child anyways.

momto3girls

Senior Community Member
I've had a chance to install both of the seats. I prefer the one with the base. The install was so much easier with the seat belt and latch. Now if it would only come in a girly cover.

calihannah

Thanks so much for the info, everyone. I think I'll order the base-on one from somewhere with free returns, in case it installs differently and doesn't end up fitting. Really appreciate all the help!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC