Booster seat for an 80 lbs 5 year old???

teacher01

We have a kid on my son's t-ball team who is 80 lbs and 5 years old. I don't know his height, but he is taller than my son who is 43". At the moment, he is just sitting in a seat belt, bc his mom said that he did not fit in the booster seats. We talked about how it is unsafe for him to be in a seatbelt alone, and that it was against the law, and I think that she is open to getting a booster for him, I just didn't know what to recommend. I said that maybe a Monterey would work, but I thought I would ask you guys. What would you recommend?

TIA :)

ADS

Raegansmom4

A Monterrey would fit a bigger child better than most boosters. Even though a backless is not ideal at his age/height, the harmony backless fits bigger kids quite well and is inexpensive. Considering he was in nothing before, the harmony would be a step up in safety

crunchierthanthou

yeah, Harmony Literider would probably work, or the Combi Dakota. Does their vehicle have headrests? If not, he'll need something with a high back.

A Monterrey would fit a bigger child better than most boosters. Even though a backless is not ideal at his age/height, the harmony backless fits bigger kids quite well and is inexpensive. Considering he was in nothing before, the harmony would be a step up in safety

Here's a link to the carseatblog review of the Harmony - seems like it would be a good fit for a big kid and is rated to 110 lbs.

teacher01

I think it has headrests, but I will check. I should see them tonight, so I will mention those. Thanks so much!!

menfusse

What about an Apex 65? He's obviously too heavy for the harness, but it makes a very wide booster. You can find them pretty cheap if you do some digging.

Jennifer mom to my 7

I would say monterey. That is what my 85+ pound 53? inch dd is in now. She cannot fit in a turbo and buckle. Here are pics of my 44.75 inch dd at 48 pounds, and my bigger dd.

VID00174.jpg

VID00164.jpg

IMG_0348_4.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC