Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Rfing seat for small backseat

I'm new to this forum, but not really new to car seat safety. I do have a question, and wanted to get some input. I drive a CRV and have DS (2yrs, 28 lbs, 36") RFing in a MA, and DD (6mo, around 16 lbs, and I think 24ish inches?) in a Radian.
    Well, my car broke down on my yesterday, and am not sure how long I will be driving my hubby's 2 dr 01 Civic. My MA does fit RFing, but DD isn't tall enough for it yet, and no one can ride in the passenger seat with Radian RFing. (I haven't tried, but I don't think that it will fit in the middle with the MA next to it...the backseat in TINY!)
    Right now I have DS FFing in the MA, and borrowed my friend's extra scenera to be RFing for DD.
    I'd like to get a seat that would fit RFing in the civic, but could also be a spare seat for us. (Kids are in my CRV 99% of the time, so it wouldn't get used much). I typically like the seats that you'll get the most use out of, but need something little to fit in the civic since that is our back up car. What would you suggest? I may go take a look at a few later today. Any suggestions? I'm not real familiar with the seats that would work well, as I typically look at bigger seats, and it's been about a year since I've really researched seats. I know the new Coccoro is made for small cars, but I'd rather not spend that much on a seat that won't last real long. I'm fine with spending more on a seat that will fit and last longer(and still fit in a small space - if possible), or buying a seat that won't last long, but isn't as $$$.
    TIA

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Rfing seat for small backseat

Try the Radian in the middle. Put it in first, then the Marathon rear facing outboard. You may be surprised. The Radian generally fits well between the front two seats, and it and a big Britax puzzle REALLY well next to one another.

I'd do that first before you go look at seats.

If you do go shopping I'd look at the Graco My Ride, Learning Curve True Fit, Safety 1st Complete Air, and Evenflo Triumph Advance.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Re: Rfing seat for small backseat

Thanks for your reply. That is how we have the seats in my CRV, and I haven't actually tried them in the civic. The only other time we had to use the civic since DD has been born we used our snugride (that we have since given away) outboard. I will try installing the Radian in the middle to see. I know it will fit RFing in the middle by itself, but I don't know that the MA will fit next to it. I wouldn't mind having a spare seat around though, plus we are planning to foster in the near future, so at some point will need another seat of some sort anyways.