Question about tether installation cost

Stresch

We got the top tethers installed in our 97 Camry yesterday. Sanna is nowhere near needing them, but we sometimes take other (ff) kids in the car, so I wanted to get it done.

They charged me $15 a piece for the parts which seems reasonable, but the labor was $45. So I spent $75 (we only got two done). That seems kind of excessive. It's done now, but I'm curious. Are they normally that much? Does Toyota just suck?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Toyota just sucks. They don't have any provision to bill the labor costs back to corporate, so they make the consumer pay for installation.

Stresch

Good to know about Toyota. Yesterday was a bad day.

Woke up to the cat puking
Found out I'd lost the Odyssey cover
Paid $45 extra for the tethers
Was told the car needs $1400 worth of repair which is just about what it's worth

Happy Birthday to me.:(

o_mom

Subaru charged us $40 (1/2 hour labor) plus parts for ONE anchor. Once I saw where they went we bought the other two and installed them ourselves. They probably could have done all three in 30 min, but in spite of me telling them multiple times that I wanted THREE anchors installed, they only had one part there when I dropped it off... never was I so ticked. I should have asked for them to install the rest at no charge, but didn't think about it until later. I still hate that car with a passion when it comes to carseats and really, really want it to just die so I can get something with oodles of LATCH and nice short buckle stalks.... (OK, not really, cause it's a great car in the snow and I really don't want to spend the money :) ).

Dillipop

I can't believe subaru charge 1/2 hour labor to install 1 anchor! Our manual showed how to install the anchors and when I called about them they quoted me $20 per anchor, just for the anchor. I ended up getting 2 and I asked about a discount/free since they seemed to be the only one not doing retrofits for free. I did end up getting a few dollars knocked off. It literally took me 2 minutes to install the anchors. Just twist in until tight. 1/2 hour!!!! No way.

o_mom

I can't believe subaru charge 1/2 hour labor to install 1 anchor! Our manual showed how to install the anchors and when I called about them they quoted me $20 per anchor, just for the anchor. I ended up getting 2 and I asked about a discount/free since they seemed to be the only one not doing retrofits for free. I did end up getting a few dollars knocked off. It literally took me 2 minutes to install the anchors. Just twist in until tight. 1/2 hour!!!! No way.

Did I mention I was really ticked? :D

Our manual (1999) only said that parts were available, see the dealer and that they went somewhere in the back cargo area. I had no clue at the time where to look (4 years ago). It took three people to figure out what the part was and if they could order it because it might be "Canadian" :rolleyes: Then when I dropped it off they call an hour later and say they don't have any parts (um, yeah, you were supposed to order them), call back 30 min after that and say they found the parts, but they were on hold for someone (well, did you check the name to see if it matched mine?). Then when I pick it up they say, BTW we only had one so you'll have to come back for the others.

Once I saw how little they did I was even more ticked and ended up just buying the parts and putting them in myself. I am past it now since I have since spent far more money on far more useless things (like a ComfortSport, LOL). ;)

Morganthe

We got the top tethers installed in our 97 Camry yesterday. Sanna is nowhere near needing them, but we sometimes take other (ff) kids in the car, so I wanted to get it done.

They charged me $15 a piece for the parts which seems reasonable, but the labor was $45. So I spent $75 (we only got two done). That seems kind of excessive. It's done now, but I'm curious. Are they normally that much? Does Toyota just suck?

Your Toyota dealership is kinder than mine. I was quoted $135 to install 3 top tethers + $20 for each set in my '99 Camry. So it would have been $195! :eek:
I've ordered 2 top tethers through the parts dept. but haven't had the funds yet to pick them up. DH will be installing them thanks to the very detailed car manual. I'll have the guy double check the cost since you paid $15 a set. Thanks :)

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
At least you guys can get it installed. I called 5 or 6 Jeep dealerships and no one knew anything about it... :(

lynsgirl

Subaru charged us $40 (1/2 hour labor) plus parts for ONE anchor. Once I saw where they went we bought the other two and installed them ourselves. They probably could have done all three in 30 min, but in spite of me telling them multiple times that I wanted THREE anchors installed, they only had one part there when I dropped it off... never was I so ticked. I should have asked for them to install the rest at no charge, but didn't think about it until later. I still hate that car with a passion when it comes to carseats and really, really want it to just die so I can get something with oodles of LATCH and nice short buckle stalks.... (OK, not really, cause it's a great car in the snow and I really don't want to spend the money :) ).

They installed them? On our Legacy, I just bought the parts (had to order them from the dealership) and did it myself. That's fine, since if it was $40 a piece just for labor, we probably wouldn't have gotten 3 at that point! And I so so so hear you about hating it for seats! I drove it the other night w/the baby with me and was quite alarmed at some noises it was making. I already was fearing for dh's safety, but now - yowzers. It does really need to die lol. Installing seats in it has always made me feel somewhat murderous, so I'm very thankful it's not our primary family vehicle anymore :p .

Morganthe

At least you guys can get it installed. I called 5 or 6 Jeep dealerships and no one knew anything about it... :(

LOL -- the first time I called, I got about 30 seconds of silence from the service department guy while he processed my question. When I started reading off parts numbers and he input them into the computer, it finally clicked to what I was talking about once he read the 'official' Toyota description tags. No one there really understands WHY I wanted top tethers installed, especially since I don't have lower anchors :rolleyes:

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Actually, my very first question on this board was asking if anyone had the part number for the 97 Jeep Wrangler tether anchor... :p There's not one for the 97 model year. I was hoping to use the one from a 2000+ model year but none of the dealerships I called has ever installed one in a Wrangler. :rolleyes: Some folks put them in themselves. We're still deciding what to do or not to do about it.

ETA: As of now there is no car seat in the Wrangler - I did this to make it easier for us to always have him in the Sienna. We do put him in the Wrangler at times, but only if it's necessary.

o_mom

They installed them? On our Legacy, I just bought the parts (had to order them from the dealership) and did it myself. That's fine, since if it was $40 a piece just for labor, we probably wouldn't have gotten 3 at that point! And I so so so hear you about hating it for seats! I drove it the other night w/the baby with me and was quite alarmed at some noises it was making. I already was fearing for dh's safety, but now - yowzers. It does really need to die lol. Installing seats in it has always made me feel somewhat murderous, so I'm very thankful it's not our primary family vehicle anymore :p .

I thought I was going to get three in for the $40 (1/2 hr labor) and at that time I had no idea where they went. Who knew to look at the ceiling? :confused: Once they put one in I just bought the parts and did the other two. They were even more clueless about the Passat lower anchors (same dealership) - service order actually read "Customer can't find child anchors" and then they called and said "Oh, yeah, it says you have LATCH, but really you don't, cause we have to put it in"

Once we got to the Odyssey I was well seasoned and went in armed with part numbers and did it myself. :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC