Beco or Ergo?

Which carrier do you recommend or did you like overall the best?

• Beco

Votes: 27 75.0%
  • Ergo

Votes: 9 25.0%

• Total voters

micapu

But for everyone saying they like one, you'll have someone that likes the other better! It's so personally decided!

ETA: Are there any local babywearing chapters or groups around you (maybe try thebabywearer.com)? That way you could go to a meeting and try some diffrent ones out without buying...or a store that carries several different types of carriers?
:yeahthat: PLEASE try to find a local Babywearing group, so you can try before you buy! You can often let the group know prior to a meetup which carrier/s you're interested in trying out, and the parents in the group will be happy to help you out and bring them to the meeting if they own said carriers.

I currently work for a baby carrier manufacturer, so I have to refrain from giving advice on any specific carrier/s. I can tell you that my husband and I tried a LOT of buckled carriers once upon a time, because I'm 5'5" and he's 6'5" and our then-toddler was a tall leaner. Most of the ones that worked for DH caused major shoulder pain/pulling for me, and some that I liked didn't fit him at all. So if you're going to share the carrier with another caregiver, make sure they try it on too! Good luck!!!

ADS

krasota

well, yeah, this would be the best option, but unfortunately I don't have the resources to do this :( I was trying to simplify and keep it narrowed down to two very popular carriers.

Do you have a local babywearing group? A store which sells a few different carriers? You can try them on that way.

canadiangie

Lovin,

How old is the child going to be who rides in it?

I couldn't handle an infant insert unless I had an infant... and even then, nope I couldn't handle an insert. I've been flinging my babies onto my hip and then back ;) sans insert since they were both 6mos old. And now at almost 3 and almost 4 I couldn't imagine any extra panel...even if I didn't use it (bypassed it) it would just be in the way.

For that reason I vote Ergo. But in reality I vote Beco 4th Gen -- IF you can even find one. Or maybe a Toddler Patupum; and Natysr (Natalie) is a good resource for info on that product.

I just finished converting a friends Butterfly II into a 4th Gen because she found it such a hassle. I felt so bad because I suggested she get one, but I hadn't realized the panel business in the BII made it such that she had to lay her baby down to get her in... ?? Also the extra clips rubbed against her baby's face... ? The beauty of the Beco 4th Gen and the Ergo is the simplicity, IMO.

Ltaylor

Would love more info about the Boba. I'm having leaning issues with my DD right now. She's 35", 33lbs. I would be buying w/o trying so I hate to waste my $$$.

http://www.bobababycarrier.com/

Itgs 100% organic cotton and made in the USA. Im pretty sure that they are made in Colorado.

its much lighter than the Ergo and doesnt get near as hot. It hugs the baby much better as well because its more contoured.
Has foot straps to help support babys legs and bring them up to hip level to support the back better.

The new 2G has removable footstraps and a removable sleep hood. The 1G doesnt have a sleep hood and the foot straps arent removable. I have the 1G and DDs head has never flopped around in it without a sleep hood and the straps dont get in the way at all so the fact that they dont come off, doesnt matter to me.

I can have have worn DD for several hours in it and never get tired or have strain on my shoulders like I did with the Ergo.

P4280019-1-2.jpg

P4280017-1.jpg

Sadierain

The Beco! It's MUCH easier to do back carries. The Ergo straps are more padded, but I find I actually like the Beco straps better - it's much more comfortable for extended wearing. The Beco has a much taller body as well - I'm concerned about leaning with older babies/toddlers. If you're wearing a toddler, definitely go with the Beco! A Boba is a great toddler carrier also, but you won't be able to wear it with subsequent children until they're bigger.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Yeah, see good point, and this was a concern of mine. I am 5'10" and average to bigger build. The Beco seemed smaller to me, but yet felt better. It felt like the baby was held closer to me and more secure, and didn't pull down on my shoulders. Actually the baby felt lighter while in the Beco :thumbsup:

My bff wears my kids in the beco. She is 5'10" and wears a 6-8. She loves it enough that she wants me to keep mine for when she has kids. I prefer Butterfly II over I. I have both and would sell my BBI if it weren't in the Aubrey print. :whistle:

lovinwaves

Is this a good deal? I emailed her asking which model it was. It's a long drive for me about 50-1hr, so wanted to see if it's worth the drive :p

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/bab/1755788626.html

This item is basically new as it has only been used a few times. My baby just didn't like it much, but most babies love them.

Good quality item, just not for me. It comes with all original parts, including the instructional DVD.

Cash only, please.

click "reply to" address if interested.

3n73ob3pb5V05P65S0a5nab568b7a0a88186d.jpg

crunchierthanthou

I believe that pattern is called Isabella and it's probably a Butterfly (not sure about II). It's a decent price, but I don't know if it's a drive two hours to pick it up price.

lovinwaves

Lovin,

How old is the child going to be who rides in it?

I couldn't handle an infant insert unless I had an infant... and even then, nope I couldn't handle an insert. I've been flinging my babies onto my hip and then back ;) sans insert since they were both 6mos old. And now at almost 3 and almost 4 I couldn't imagine any extra panel...even if I didn't use it (bypassed it) it would just be in the way.

For that reason I vote Ergo. But in reality I vote Beco 4th Gen -- IF you can even find one. Or maybe a Toddler Patupum; and Natysr (Natalie) is a good resource for info on that product.

I just finished converting a friends Butterfly II into a 4th Gen because she found it such a hassle. I felt so bad because I suggested she get one, but I hadn't realized the panel business in the BII made it such that she had to lay her baby down to get her in... ?? Also the extra clips rubbed against her baby's face... ? The beauty of the Beco 4th Gen and the Ergo is the simplicity, IMO.

Thanks Angie :)

The baby is 2mths old and is in the 98% percentile. I am worried about the extra panel, and a few other things, but I might be able to work around that and be ok with it if it doesn't hurt my back, and I can wear the carrier for long periods of time without being uncomfortable. I'm really hoping the Beco works out. If not I have some other carriers lined up that I might try.

I had a toddler patapum that I used for my toddler. Great carrier, nice, good quality, but the deal breaker for me was that you had to thread the kid's legs through each and every time. I hated that, so I sold it. Morganthe's husband actually has it now :p

I really do love the simplicity of the Ergo, like you said, and I am worried about the extra steps and the clips on the Beco. It's going to be interesting when I get it to see which I like better. If I like the way the Beco 1 feels on me but the panel bothers me, then I will look for a gen4.

lovinwaves

Okay, I hate the Beco :thumbsdown: Maybe I am doing something wrong?

What I hate about it:

Too many damn steps to get it on. I want something easy that I can just throw on, like the Ergo.

I hate the buckles with the safety button on them, and I hate how they have that like double loop to adjust them. PITA!

The straps aren't padded enough, imo, and are digging into my armpits :confused: They are hurting my shoulders too

I feel like I am carrying the weight of the baby on my shoulders, which I simply can't have with my back issues. I need to carry the weight on my hips, like I did with the Ergo. Am I doing something wrong maybe?

I hate how no matter what, you have to thread their legs through.

I do love the ease though of flipping them around to your back, but for now I prefer a front carry.

The carrier overall seems to small for me, so that might be the major issue.

I do, however, love that hip strap. I love how it gives you more strap to work with than the ergo :rolleyes:

Ok, so I'm selling this and trying something else now. Help? :eek: Or maybe I should just go back to the Ergo. Is there a carrier with the simplicity of the Ergo but has better features? Maybe a Gen4 Beco?

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Have you looked into an Olives & Applesauce? I knew that the Ergo would be too short in the body for my preferences, and the Beco's insert would drive me up a wall, so I went looking for alternatives. I looooove our O&A, use it all the time for my chunk.

You want an SSC, right, so not a Mei Tai? I double-hearted my BabyHawk until S was about 8 mos. I still use it for CS at two, but she's very petite (just 22lbs and small overall, still fits in her SR22.)

I can try to get some O&A pics in a few, once I get the group down for nap.

Sadierain

Okay, I hate the Beco :thumbsdown: Maybe I am doing something wrong?

What I hate about it:

Too many damn steps to get it on. I want something easy that I can just throw on, like the Ergo.

I hate the buckles with the safety button on them, and I hate how they have that like double loop to adjust them. PITA!

The straps aren't padded enough, imo, and are digging into my armpits :confused: They are hurting my shoulders too

I feel like I am carrying the weight of the baby on my shoulders, which I simply can't have with my back issues. I need to carry the weight on my hips, like I did with the Ergo. Am I doing something wrong maybe?

I hate how no matter what, you have to thread their legs through.

I do love the ease though of flipping them around to your back, but for now I prefer a front carry.

The carrier overall seems to small for me, so that might be the major issue.

I do, however, love that hip strap. I love how it gives you more strap to work with than the ergo :rolleyes:

Ok, so I'm selling this and trying something else now. Help? :eek: Or maybe I should just go back to the Ergo. Is there a carrier with the simplicity of the Ergo but has better features? Maybe a Gen4 Beco?

What it sounds like is that you haven't played with the middle strap enough yet. The one that attaches in the middle of the body, or thereabouts? Reeeaaally loosen putting baby in and out, and you won't have to feed legs through. Then you need to tighten it WAY up and it takes the weight off your shoulders. Try that!
If you're still not happy, I second an O&A.

lovinwaves

Just wanted to update for anyone else curious about these two carriers.

I am trying to love the Beco and have tried some of the helpful suggestions above (thank you!), but I think it's a poor fit for my body. My Mom even said it doesn't look "right" on me.

Coincidently, I called the lady that bought my Ergo and asked how she liked it. She said her baby wants to face out, so she bought a local WAHM one that does a front carry only. She has the ERgo already for sale back on CL.

I am going to buy it back from her tomorrow and sell this Beco. I really just miss the simplicity of the Ergo, and I can't afford to really keep trying out carriers here and there, and paying shipping, etc... I am trying to meet up with a local baby wearing group, but they meet about an hour away. Not sure I can justify driving that far. :p

Also, there is a BabyHawk in Khaki with brown/floral reversible for sale on CL for $45 OBO. Should I try and pick that up too? I always had a MeiTai for my son and loved it, but he was older when I got into baby wearing, so I really don't know how well it works for a baby.

arly1983

Mei Tais are still my favorite after wearing 2 babies now. I feel like can get a "closer" and more supportive fit with them.

Darn Becos keep tempting me though. I just returned one.

ProudMommysince09

I voted Ergo because I love mine, its comfy and doesnt hurt my back at all. (like the Bjorn did) My child is comfortable in it, and even goes to sleep in it, now thats a miracle in itself. Anyway at the store they had this one: http://www.lillebaby.com/
I dunno if this would work for you, the lady in the store said is the only difference is that it lets the baby face out in the front-carry position, it looks like it would be too small for a toddler leaning backwards.. And its rather pricey too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC