Question Install O.K. for MA?

kidrepair

View attachment 7170

I have an older van with long belt stalks..this is the first time I have tried to put the MA back there..I keep thinking the hard buckle cannot be in the belt path like this but thought I would ask..rock solid otherwise...Thanks

(realized I spelled install wrong on the title..but cannot change it I guess)

Last edited:
ADS

Chameleon

Re: Instal O.K. for MA?

Well that's not really in the belt path or doesn't look like it to me anyways. Have you twisted the belt stalk down any yet? You can twist it up to 3 full twists to bring it lower. It looks fine to me though.

crunchierthanthou

Did you twist the buckle stalk at all? You can have up to three full twists of 360 degrees each.

I'd say it's okay as is as long as you got it sufficiently tight and it doesn't loosen over time. It isn't ideal to have the locking latchplate pushing against the bar, but it's at enough of a downward angle that it should be okay. You can flip the male end one half turn (180 degrees) to help keep it tight.

If you haven't twisted the buckle stalk, I'd give it a couple turns to move the latchplate lower and call it good. Remember, the fewer twists the better, so don't do more than you need.

kidrepair

It is 3 twists..otherwise it is definitely too far in the beltpath..the lockoff is closed..but I worried about the plastic part touching the bar...I can get it to not touch like that but only if the seat is very reclined..and my 3 yr. old is now used to riding in the RN and cannot stand being that reclined while awake..

crunchierthanthou

I believe the belt is supposed to be routed under the metal latch bars, your picture has it routed over the bar. Under is how its pictured in the manual.

no, you go over the LATCH bars with a lap/shoulder belt for ff installs. It would mess up the shoulder portion if you tried to go under with that sort of belt.

you go under the LATCH bars for rear facing or ff with a lap only belt.

kidrepair

Sorry another question I forgot to ask...does anyone have an opinion on what might work better with these types of belts? The RN is a definite no from what I have tried so far..I was wondering about LBP on the FR...do you all think that might work better..or my other thought was a TF..we have a GN that my 6 yr. old had been using in that spot and it worked o.k. but I hate it for my 3 yr. old..she still sleeps way too much and I hate to see her with chest clip marks on her face all the time..

crunchierthanthou

I really do think it's acceptable if it's staying tight. I might flip the latchplate to assist in that, but wouldn't replace the seat solely on that install. :twocents:

kidrepair

But I'm dying for a new seat...LOL!! Been wanting a FR for a while..and hoping the older ones will go very cheap very soon..but not sure if the install is any better..and I'm so over the seats that sit up so high now that she is older..loved it for babies though

crunchierthanthou

But I'm dying for a new seat...LOL!! Been wanting a FR for a while..and hoping the older ones will go very cheap very soon..but not sure if the install is any better..and I'm so over the seats that sit up so high now that she is older..loved it for babies though

okay, yeah. that's totally valid. ;) I may have replaced mine for the exact same reasons... fortunately my son was 4.5 and we haven't had any sleep/slump issues in the GN. Is there anyplace near you where you can try the Frontier before you buy it? I know the USABaby near me still has one on the shelf.

kidrepair

We do have a USA baby in Charlotte..kind of far though..will they let you try in your car?Haven't been to BRU in a while..do they have it there? They used to let you leave your license and then take seats out..and you didn't feel pressured to install so quickly but now they have a little spot for you to pull into and someone stands there watching you the whole time..I hate that..

zactayaus

...I was wondering about LBP on the FR...do you all think that might work better..or my other thought was a TF..we have a GN that my 6 yr. old had been using in that spot and it worked o.k. but I hate it for my 3 yr. old..she still sleeps way too much and I hate to see her with chest clip marks on her face all the time..

Just an FYI, but we drove from VA to NJ today with ds2 in the frontier (original) and he had horrible head slump.:(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC