Totally Irritated

jasminegrl

I'm very very irritated and upset with AAFES (military shopping on base)
I went into the furniture store on base yesterday to purchase a convertible car seat they had the evenflo triumph before i went on vacation back to the states 2 months ago and I wanted to see if it would fit in our car for DD rather than order one now that i'm back and I found out that the only thing they are carrying in store are the infant buckets, and that it will take a minimum of 2 months up to 4 months to get in whatever seat i order. :thumbsdown:What if i didn't have that much time to wait to get one. What if her current seat had be damaged or broken and i needed a new one immediately. I'm not happy with this at all and I just wanted to vent. I mean i could always buy a Japanese seat if it was an emergency but that's besides the point we are supposed to be able to purchase all necessitys on base we shouldn't have to go off base to make a purchase.

ADS

skitle1802

Aren't there multiple BXs in Japan? Or even a NEX-COM (navy bx) that you could get a seat transferred to your base's BX? In my experience (limited), baby gear is really limited in-store. Also, is the catalog that long of a wait as well?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Okay, my mind stopped focusing on the real issue once I read "I could always buy a Japanese seat". :D Japanese seats are very cool! Combi is Japanese. I'd totally pick up a Japanese seat just for the cool factor. Unfortunately they are often made smaller so if you're needing it for a larger RF child, I can understand the disappoint of not being able to easily get a U.S. seat.

jasminegrl

Aren't there multiple BXs in Japan? Or even a NEX-COM (navy bx) that you could get a seat transferred to your base's BX? In my experience (limited), baby gear is really limited in-store. Also, is the catalog that long of a wait as well?

not where we live there isn't another bx/nex unless you go about 12 hours south, what irks me though is 2 months ago they had a selection, a bad selection imo but atleast they had something.

Okay, my mind stopped focusing on the real issue once I read "I could always buy a Japanese seat". :D Japanese seats are very cool! Combi is Japanese. I'd totally pick up a Japanese seat just for the cool factor. Unfortunately they are often made smaller so if you're needing it for a larger RF child, I can understand the disappoint of not being able to easily get a U.S. seat.

I have a peanut so buying a smaller seat isn't a huge deal but the cost of the seat once you factor in the exchange rate makes the seat much much more expensive. If i have to order a seat i'm going to get a coccoro which i can buy in the Japanese stores but it would cost me about 50 dollars more depending on the day

skitle1802

Make sure you talk to the Inventory Control/ Reorder Associate in charge of the baby gear. They need to know there is demand otherwise they will keep cutting the orders down or cancelling them altogether.

Callansmomma

CPS Technician
yes but I still would have the issue of waiting for it to arrive, I'm not sure which would be quicker though aafes.com or ordering through the bx

Probably AAFES.com. I would imagine your order would get in quicker if you did it yourself, less of a middle man so to speak. Plus, they have a greater selection and maybe you can find a coupon to use.

jasminegrl

Probably AAFES.com. I would imagine your order would get in quicker if you did it yourself, less of a middle man so to speak. Plus, they have a greater selection and maybe you can find a coupon to use.

if i could find a coupon that would be awesome, we would get free shipping because of the price of the seat but saving more money would be awesome

Last edited:

horsesitaly

Senior Community Member
I ordered my Frontier through AAFES.com (with a coupon code, try www.retailmenot.com) and I think it was only 2 or 3 weeks to arrive. I know when people order furniture through the BX here, it can take up to 6 months. One case where the post office is quicker as long as the item can be shipped!

And I'm not sure you are supposed to be able to buy all necessities on base, your COLA is to be used to offset the cost of purchasing items on the local economy. We have a unit attached to us here that is in Greece with NO "base" so everything they do is on the economy. Our BX sucks sometimes, so I go off base for things, it's just the way it is. Usually produce is better off base anyway cause it is local and not shipped in from who knows where!

Callansmomma

CPS Technician
if i could find a coupon that would be awesome, we would get free shipping because of the price of the seat but saving more money would be awesome

Let me look. I know we got our Frontier through AAFES and it was only $190. It was a great deal!

This one is for $10 off a $100 purchase: 9312hdcat1
This one says it is good for 15% off: X113vip1

jasminegrl

Let me look. I know we got our Frontier through AAFES and it was only $190. It was a great deal!

This one is for $10 off a $100 purchase: 9312hdcat1
This one says it is good for 15% off: X113vip1
Thanks I"ll give those a try.

I ordered my Frontier through AAFES.com (with a coupon code, try www.retailmenot.com) and I think it was only 2 or 3 weeks to arrive. I know when people order furniture through the BX here, it can take up to 6 months. One case where the post office is quicker as long as the item can be shipped!

And I'm not sure you are supposed to be able to buy all necessities on base, your COLA is to be used to offset the cost of purchasing items on the local economy. We have a unit attached to us here that is in Greece with NO "base" so everything they do is on the economy. Our BX sucks sometimes, so I go off base for things, it's just the way it is. Usually produce is better off base anyway cause it is local and not shipped in from who knows where!
we have been able to buy all the necessities on base that we have needed until now and we've been here 11 months, we don't do alot of off base shopping because the cola doesn't match the cost of things over here unfortunately so we still end up paying out of pocket, the yen to the dollar keeps dropping and instead of our cola going up it just keeps going down, alot of people have complained but nobody seems to care.
Produce off base is better here as well, but for almost $5 for 4 strawberry's off base i'll just deal with what the commissary has.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC